2021 Zips spring mens soccer schedule

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't concerned. Although the Zips conceded goals in the last minutes often in 2019 leading to the string of losses that started the season, I was more concerned with the midfield maintaining possession and linking up with the forwards as well as the final third attack and inability to score than I was with the play of the backline. In 2019, and the 2018 regular season, our Zips struggled to finish/score, to maintain possession in midfield, and to make good link ups though the midfield to the wingers and forwards. There was also a discernible lack of speed, in my opinion. Having not seen any of these recent matches or practices, I don't have any idea how the Zips look. Hopefully, these 2 preseason losses are mostly due to trying out different players and formations to find the right combinations. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I know it's only exhibition & our primary concern is figuring out our pieces parts.  But we lost again.  Any concerns from the futbol experts on the board?

good, legitimate question.  Discussion is needed and welcome on this board.

I am a passionate fan but I sure don't consider myself a "futbol expert."   Your question is really hard to answer due to Covid restrictions.  Normally, by this point....the local futbol experts on this board would have seen several practices.   Several posters on this board would have seen both exhibition matches.

That being said, I remember the 0-7 start from 2019.     The zips open the season with #3 Pittsburgh, #9 Marshall and #12 Kentucky.  Confidence and momentum are gained more easily by wins.  Losing 2 exhibition games against teams not ranked in the top 25.....   does not provide momentum.    Pittsburgh and Kentucky both played matches in the fall.   I would be lying if I said that I was not concerned about the possibility of another slow start to the season.

Top drawer soccer has the zips rated as 6 in the country.  College soccer news has the zips as a pre season number 26.  

I hope that the game at Pittsburgh is streamed so we can have "informed" discussion on the board.   Coach Embick's comments in the Welker interview were very encouraging.  I am a huge Diogo Pacheco fan.  If he stays healthy, I think that he can do very good things.   This team has 2 kids up front....(Jason Shokalook and Tonny Temple)....that were ranked in the top 50 by top drawer soccer.  Neither was in the starting lineup for either exhibition and none of us know the minutes played for those 2 key upfront guys and the starter for both games (Will Jackson).

Like Zip_ME87 said, we need to see improvement from 2019.....in controlling possession in the midfield and scoring goals.  Dyson Clapier sounds like a great January addition.    Wil Meyer held the zips scoreless in 110 minutes in the 2018 NCAA quarterfinal.   Experienced goal keeper and 2 experienced talented center backs.....is a great backbone for this team.

Not sure where Daniel Strachan will play...but he is a leader....and was arguably the 2019 MVP.

There are many reasons for optimism  .......but this team has many new pieces....

Pittsburgh will be a humongous test.   Go, Zips

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

good, legitimate question.  Discussion is needed and welcome on this board.

I am a passionate fan but I sure don't consider myself a "futbol expert."   Your question is really hard to answer due to Covid restrictions.  Normally, by this point....the local futbol experts on this board would have seen several practices.   Several posters on this board would have seen both exhibition matches.

That being said, I remember the 0-7 start from 2019.     The zips open the season with #3 Pittsburgh, #9 Marshall and #12 Kentucky.  Confidence and momentum are gained more easily by wins.  Losing 2 exhibition games against teams not ranked in the top 25.....   does not provide momentum.    Pittsburgh and Kentucky both played matches in the fall.   I would be lying if I said that I was not concerned about the possibility of another slow start to the season.

Top drawer soccer has the zips rated as 6 in the country.  College soccer news has the zips as a pre season number 26.  

I hope that the game at Pittsburgh is streamed so we can have "informed" discussion on the board.   Coach Embick's comments in the Welker interview were very encouraging.  I am a huge Diogo Pacheco fan.  If he stays healthy, I think that he can do very good things.   This team has 2 kids up front....(Jason Shokalook and Tonny Temple)....that were ranked in the top 50 by top drawer soccer.  Neither was in the starting lineup for either exhibition and none of us know the minutes played for those 2 key upfront guys and the starter for both games (Will Jackson).

Like Zip_ME87 said, we need to see improvement from 2019.....in controlling possession in the midfield and scoring goals.  Dyson Clapier sounds like a great January addition.    Wil Meyer held the zips scoreless in 110 minutes in the 2018 NCAA quarterfinal.   Experienced goal keeper and 2 experienced talented center backs.....is a great backbone for this team.

Not sure where Daniel Strachan will play...but he is a leader....and was arguably the 2019 MVP.

There are many reasons for optimism  .......but this team has many new pieces....

Pittsburgh will be a humongous test.   Go, Zips

Great assessments TennZip and Zip_ME87. I definitely agree with the apparent lack of speed last year. I'll also add that it took a while (maybe 5 or 6 games?) for the coaches to settle on a lineup. Left and right backs, in particular, were a bit of rotating cast and that impacted midfield possession and quality chances up top. There were key injuries as well, right? And then there was the lack of good finishing - - that was a bit hard to watch at times. 

Looks like there's some great attacking talent on this year's squad along with many important returners. Hopefully the coaches can figure out the attacking pieces of the puzzle soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TennZip said:

I hope that the game at Pittsburgh is streamed so we can have "informed" discussion on the board.  

Looking ahead on my ESPN app on my Roku, Zips at Pitt comes up on 2/20/2021 at 3 pm...ESPN+ (or /ESPN3), I believe.

52 minutes ago, slowroll said:

Great assessments TennZip and Zip_ME87. I definitely agree with the apparent lack of speed last year. I'll also add that it took a while (maybe 5 or 6 games?) for the coaches to settle on a lineup. Left and right backs, in particular, were a bit of rotating cast and that impacted midfield possession and quality chances up top. There were key injuries as well, right? And then there was the lack of good finishing - - that was a bit hard to watch at times. 

Looks like there's some great attacking talent on this year's squad along with many important returners. Hopefully the coaches can figure out the attacking pieces of the puzzle soon.

Thanks slowroll. Agreed on all of your points. Hopefully, we will see the team come together more quickly this season, and hopefully injuries are minimal although the inclement weather will not help.

I like the attacking talent on this team as well as the many important players returning. Coaches can only do so much; I'm looking for some leaders to step up on the field and take charge (like Loren Christian Jackson does for Zips Men's Basketball). I met many of the newcomers last Spring before COVID set in, and I know they are quality people just like those returning and those who came before. I challenge them to take ownership and put in the hard work above and beyond that which they believe is already above and beyond. 

GO ZIPS!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I’m sitting here in the shadow of LJF watching baseball play Ohio U in a light t-shirt, and wondering why the heck the MAC played their “spring” soccer season so early? 

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, zippypitt said:

Anybody have an idea when the fall schedule will be released?  They teased us with a mention of "a lot of home games" and then nothing.  August will be here soon!

great question....

like you, I always want to see the schedule several weeks before they get around to announcing it...

A few schools have announced their schedule

here is what I have learned so far...about the zips schedule

Xavier will be playing an exhibition at Cub Cadet Field on August 15 (I think that is 7 weeks from tomorrow??)

https://goxavier.com/news/2021/6/16/mens-soccer-announces-fall-schedule.aspx

in a truly epic matchup, the mighty Indiana Hoosiers will be playing a regular season match up against our beloved zips at Cub Cadet field on Friday September 10th.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2021/6/22/mens-soccer-indiana-mens-soccer-announces-2021-schedule.aspx

new conference member Georgia Southern will play at Akron on October 7th

https://gseagles.com/news/2021/6/18/mens-soccer-announces-2021-schedule.aspx

as of yesterday, I could not  find any other MAC schools that had released their schedules

speaking of releases,, I would also love to see an announcement about the incoming new players.  Hopefully, the zips have some  international freshmen...that we are not yet aware of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1