Game 13- Ball State

clarkwgriswold

The Zips finally get a little rest before the Ball Stare Cardinals visit this Saturday at 2:00.  

The Cards are 6-7 overall and 4-4 in the MAC.  They are a hard team to figure.  They beat BG at BG by 21 and handled OU early, but lost their last two to OU and Miami. 5th year redshirt 6'3" guard KJ Walton (Missouri transfer) leads scoring at 16.1 ppg.  Khalid Al-Amin's kid, Ishmael, scores 15.3 ppg.  Walton and 6'9" junior Myrene Johnson who played at Cleveland Central Catholic lead rebounding at 5.6 rpg.  The Cards were picked to finish 5th in the MAC pre-season poll with Al-Amin named to the All--MAC second team.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:20 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips finally get a little rest before the Ball Stare Cardinals visit this Saturday at 2:00.  

The Cards are 6-7 overall and 4-4 in the MAC.  They are a hard team to figure.  They beat BG at BG by 21 and handled OU early, but lost their last two to OU and Miami. 5th year redshirt 6'3" guard KJ Walton (Missouri transfer) leads scoring at 16.1 ppg.  Khalid Al-Amin's kid, Ishmael, scores 15.3 ppg.  Walton and 6'9" junior Myrene Johnson who played at Cleveland Central Catholic lead rebounding at 5.6 rpg.  The Cards were picked to finish 5th in the MAC pre-season poll with Al-Amin named to the All--MAC second team.

Ball State is another program I really dislike.  This began in the 2017 season.  Was that the year when there was a crazy ending at the JAR in which Ball State threw it the length of the floor and it went out of bounds, so Akron got it back under their basket.  Big Dog made the 3 pointer.  But they re-set the clock and Ball State got a final shot and Whitford stormed the floor acting like an idiot twirling his finger around trying to signal goal-tending?  then they were jerks during the semi-final game at the Q.  Then that game in Muncie when Ivey scored 40+ points and the refs totally hosed the Zips.  

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

Weird stat alert:  Bryan Trimble Jr.

Just 20 out of his 124 FG attempts (16%) on the season are 2 point shots, including just one 2pt attempt out of 33 FG tries in the last 3 games (3%).

Let if fly!! He's shot very well inside the arc as well, as he's been stellar in the mid range game. Since being a brick factory to start the year, he's resurrected his 3pt % to 37.5 with only two games shooting worse than 36.4% from three, including two 50% performances, going 11-22 in a two game stretch  @BG & vs. CMU. He's got a brilliantly smooth jumper and typically picks his spots very well. He rarely puts up shots he's not confident in, and every time he shoots it at this point, I'm surprised when it doesn't go in. 

• Like 1

Any predictions for today?

I'm feeling another nice outing for Michael Wynn.  He played more minutes against EMU (17) than he'd played in the 4 prior games combined.  I sense he's finally shaking off the rust and th staff is seeing what he can do.  Hopefully, Maishe's solid game is a sign of things to come.

Zips-- 74, Ball Stare- 64.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm feeling another nice outing for Michael Wynn.  He played more minutes against EMU (17) than he'd played in the 4 prior games combined.  I sense he's finally shaking off the rust and th staff is seeing what he can do.  Hopefully, Maishe's solid game is a sign of things to come.

I will take Enrique Freeman for the block and John Groce for the win.

Did that Taylor Persons person finally graduate?

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Yup, I think the game will be in the seventies too. 77-70 Zips!!

On 1/29/2021 at 8:02 AM, RowdyZip said:

Weird stat alert:  Bryan Trimble Jr.

Just 20 out of his 124 FG attempts (16%) on the season are 2 point shots, including just one 2pt attempt out of 33 FG tries in the last 3 games (3%).

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think I am starting to  see a trend with Dailey.  Except for the Kent game, he has had solid games at home.  However, he has really struggled on the road.