Game 13- Ball State

clarkwgriswold

Love to see the players interviewing each other.  Much better than having them sit down with an announcer.  Great idea!!  Zips started out of the gate very slow again.  No flow to their offense and then we resort to the 3 ball.  I liked how Ali made a move to his left and sunk a short jump shot.  Even before he got hurt, Trimble was struggling.  Dailey is having a tough game and missed a breakaway layup.  Dawson once again is having a great game.  Got to get him more time.  LCJ has been dribbling too much but the shot right before the half was amazing.  Switched to the left hand when the guy jumped into his shot.  Hopefully, can continue with the great defense and rebounding and blow them out in the second half.

• Like 2

El-Amin with 2 points in the first half.  When you are supposed to be all-league you need to step up when your team in short-handed.

B & G, you are right, no Currie.  Also, no minutes for Jermaine Marshall.

"Cox, bringing us closer."  Yikes.  

Edited by clarkwgriswold

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I thought of that a couple of weeks ago.  Must be a part of making things as normal as possible.  I wonder if they're doing a hype video and announcing the lineups before they come on.

Good to see Trimble back in.

Yes, they are from what I heard.  

Edited by NWAkron

I do not like Reeses defense on that drive to the basket.  No way should you back off a guy taking it to the hoop.  Glad to see Dailey driving to the basket and attempting to dunk the ball even though he did not finish.  No surprise Marshall has not gotten in the game.  He is at the end of the bench.  I like what Tribble said about the difference between college and high school, you have to play defense in college.  I did not know Ali was a scorer in high school.  Said his career high was 35 points.

27 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I do not like Reeses defense on that drive to the basket.  No way should you back off a guy taking it to the hoop.  Glad to see Dailey driving to the basket and attempting to dunk the ball even though he did not finish.  No surprise Marshall has not gotten in the game.  He is at the end of the bench.  I like what Tribble said about the difference between college and high school, you have to play defense in college.  I did not know Ali was a scorer in high school.  Said his career high was 35 points.

I'm a little surprised by Marshall's slide.  He was the first guy off of the bench in the 1st 4 or 5 games and even started a couple of games.

He just got in.

Wynn having another solid game off of the bench.  He's going to be more important if Trimble is out and is a nice luxury with Dailey struggling.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

It took us 15 minutes to find our offensive flow.  If we do that against Toledo we will be down by 20.  Does anyone remember when Trimble was our reliable 2nd scorer after LBJ.  That has not happened the first half the last few games.  Ball State only had 8 guys dressed and it was clear that our defense wore them down.  I just wish we had a consistent 2nd scorer or somebody that can create their own shot besides LBJ.  I love the hustle on this team and they really seem to play intense defense.  We just need to develop a better offense to start the game.  When we ran down the shot clock in the first half that tells you the offense is simply not there.  Great that we can win when we did not bring our A game in the first half.

7 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Any predictions for today?

I'm feeling another nice outing for Michael Wynn.  He played more minutes against EMU (17) than he'd played in the 4 prior games combined.  I sense he's finally shaking off the rust and th staff is seeing what he can do.  Hopefully, Maishe's solid game is a sign of things to come.

Zips-- 74, Ball Stare- 64.

I was on the 74 for the Zips but had no idea Ball Stare would be that bad.  

Wynn continues to improve and contribute more and more.  Maishe sure didn't build off of the EMU game.

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I was on the 74 for the Zips but had no idea Ball Stare would be that bad.  

Wynn continues to improve and contribute more and more.  Maishe sure didn't build off of the EMU game.

Wynn looked very comfortable out there.  ?

As did Dawson. ?

Tribble took a few 3's, even hitting one! ??

• Like 1

We didn't start to pull away until the bench mob got in the first time. Nice contributions by them again. We are legit 10 deep, and anywhere between 2-4 of the scholarship players not in the rotation probably would be on most teams. I noticed Currie missing from the bench as well. He's been a huge question mark this year and we haven't gotten any answers, but he has seemed to score in his limited action and I haven't noticed him stick out on D. However, I don't think taking minutes from Freeman/Reece would happen at this point in the season. As Groce said, he wants players to be all-stars in their roles, and we are winning so no complaining here.

Also, Aziz moves pretty good for a 7 footer. Him and Clarke have both looked good in limited time.

Another rough one for Maishe, we need a big bounce back from him Tuesday. There's not a ton to say other than that was a John Groce Akron Basketball culture game through and through. Defense led to offense, energy won out, and the guys playing like NBA All-Stars in their roles came through. That bench mob is crucial in the upcoming games. As the opponents get worn down, and the starters get rest, Dawson, Wynn, Reece, Clarke, and even Marshall have a huge opportunity to make a difference. I'm sure most people are, but check out the Akron bench when these guys perform well, it brings the entire energy to an entire new level. Those guys are just as important as the starting 5 when it comes to punching a ticket to the dance.

On to Toledo! Go Zips!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Clarke looks like he can penetrate & get to the basket almost any time he wants.

He's going to be a special one, I think. Learning under LCJ for a year doesn't hurt. 

18 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Freeman got 8 boards in 16 minutes. No foul trouble, no idea why he sat so much.

It was a blowout. Rest him, keep him healthy, and let the 7 footer have some time to shine. 

• Like 2