Game 15- PCCC

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head off to the unfriendly confines of the Portage County Agricultural and Animal Husbandry Center to face 10-4/7-3 PCCC this Friday at 7:00.  The game will be broadcast on ESPNU (ugh again).

PCCC has won 6 of their last 7 heading into the game.  7th year redshirt senior Danny Pippen continues to lead PCCC, averaging over 20 ppg and 9 rpg per game.  Portland State transfer guard Michael Nuga has been a very nice find for Mr. Pinky and is scoring 17.8 ppg to go along with 5.5 rpg, but is ailing with a bad knee and did not play against Miami.

The PCAAHC has always been a tough place for the ZIps.  Maybe without a crowd and with only a short trip for the Zips the place won't give the Flushes too much of an advantage. 

12 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Nuga likely lost for remainder of season due to knee injury

I hate to see anyone get injured.  I like beating KSUcks when they are at full strength.  Don't want to give them any excuses.

They are... * Clap Clap * Can't State... * Clap Clap *

A win is a win is a win. Joe Akron doesn't even know who Nuga is. They just see Akron beating their rival KSUcks. Speaking of which...

IT'S 6:18AM AND...

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They are... * Clap Clap * Can't State... * Clap Clap *

A win is a win is a win. Joe Akron doesn't even know who Nuga is. They just see Akron beating their rival KSUcks. Speaking of which...

IT'S 6:18AM AND...

I'm with you.  Hey, we all got our sad stories.   Win is a win.

Akron opens up +2 with a total of 151.  I think that total number is crazy high. Almost every game I remember in this series has been hard fought with tight defense. Nuga's absence only makes the under more appealing to me.

I like our chances to rebound if we stay in Pippin's shorts all night long. We have to stop him from stepping out and popping those wide open 3s he's been getting regularly.

This is a huge spot in the midst of a brutal stretch in this MAC schedule. When playing at Kent, I've always been frustrated by how much tougher Kent plays than Akron, Groce has mentioned this a few times as well on post game shows after these games. No crowd will certainly even that playing field.

Perimeter defense and rebounding are crucial today. I'm hoping whoever is on Pippen (hopefully Ali) gets in his shorts similarly to how Ali did to Vander Plas when Akron played OU. They're dangerous in certain spots and only need a small window to make an impact. If he gets frustrated, he's still a technical foul machine even in his 5th year. That's where emotional maturity and toughness can really benefit the Zips.

Kent's been scoring a lot of points lately, and their guards have been stellar, even without Nuga. Santiago is nearly a 50% 3pt shooter but went 1-6 at the JAR. Running those guys off the line and forcing them to finish with Enrique and Reece down low is a great recipe for success. 

Also in the game at the JAR, Marshall put in some very strong minutes in the first half with the game getting on the brink of being out of control, and Dawson buried a couple of big shots when the Zips started to take control. Wynn seems to have taken a lot of Marshall's minutes, but the thing I love about this team is their ability to put guys into their own roles so as not to ask too much of any one of those bench guys in particular. I can't say it enough, when those guys (Clarke included, hell I might be forgetting some there are so many!) play like NBA All-Stars in their roles, Akron is right up there with Toledo. 

There are few better feelings than winning in this building. I'm crushed we can't be there, but I'm just as excited as always. GO ZIPS!!!!! BEAT KENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

When is the last time we won in their building.  I know that I have gone to a ton of games there and it seems like I always come home disappointed.  I remember one game where they won on a last second drive to the basket and the Kent player took 5 steps to get to the basket.  I yelled at the bald headed ref but he ran off the floor and did not call a travel. (LOL)

Edited by 1981 grad

13 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

When is the last time we won in their building.  I know that I have gone to a ton of games there and it seems like I always come home disappointed.  I remember one game where they won on a last second drive to the basket and the Kent player took 5 steps to get to the basket.  I yelled at the bald headed ref but he ran off the floor and did not call a travel. (LOL)

Dambrot's last year in '16-'17 we went 1-2 vs Kent, with the one win coming in the cave that is the MACC.

5 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Meet y'all on the radio. ESPNU does me no good ?

It's good for the Zip in Paradise.  CBSSN too (and I get 5 different PAC12 Net channels!)  I just hope they let Jackie Windom take the talent chair today.  She really covers well for the irey Reghi player.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

Dambrot's last year in '16-'17 we went 1-2 vs Kent, with the one win coming in the cave that is the MACC.

Here is the play... you make the call. Do I see a crossover? Yes. Does he cover a lot of territory from behind the 3-point line to the rim? Yes. Again, does he travel ....

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I hope they get under Pippen's skin and he commits one of his childish technicals.

I was just going to post about Pippen.

Last time we played, Freeman did a great job defending Pippen down low & seemed to frustrate him.  I'm predicting that again.  Freeman's quick & has a high basketball I.Q.  If Pippen hurts us, it's going to be from behind the 3-point arc - where Ali will most likely be covering him.  If we can shut Pippen down we win.

On the road we're going to have to take the first 10 minutes to get used to the rims. But defense travels.  Our DEFENSE will determine whether we make the 10-minute trip home with the W.