Game 15- PCCC

clarkwgriswold

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think I’d be a little upset if I were Groce. We’re playing like we know the game is over. I hate that.

I think I typed that when we were up 13.  Then Kent goes on to cut it to, what, 6?  Yeah, I'm kinda pissed.  

Oh, well.  We won.  I suppose Groce is spoiling me.

• Like 2

I hated the last 10 minutes. My heart shouldn’t be hurting after how that one went! But I can’t remember that last time Akron did that at Kent. And as for their excuses, 2015 at Kent Akron had a similar situation and it went to the buzzer. Go Zips!!!!!!! Cheers to a joyful weekend my friends!!!

11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

We need to plant Maishe on the bench.  Idk how he's starting over Dawson or getting minutes over Marshall.

Fewer minutes again tonight, down to 13.  Dawson and Wynn are taking those minutes.

They're dwindling- minutes in his last 6 games-   25, 22, 24, 19, 18, 13.  

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Was anybody else suprised to see Wynn bring the ball up the floor in the last 3 minutes.  He threw an errant pass that led to a turnover.  Not sure what the logic is on that move.

Good win ... on a night Zips should have won. Still think there's something missing in the overall scheme of things, but the 3-pointers cover up a lot of warts. Depending on how the rest of their season goes, not sure Zips want to see Kent again until the end. Even with their two guys out (Nuga-Hamilton combined 28 pts, 12 rebs) they still got some pieces if they can regroup.

On a personal note, considering the state of our union these days, would think using derogatory terms to describe opposing players should be discontinued. Rivalries are great, but it seems sometimes those terms are used against the opposition more freely than they should be. (Off soapbox).

Back to Akron, like many, thought Dailey would find his level in the MAC but that just has not been the case. Freeman has been a blessing in a league shy of quality bigs. Perhaps Groce should try to get a tad more offense out of him.

On to the next one.

• Like 1

Obviously got a little too close for comfort towards the end, but we really out-willed Kent tonight. Love to see it. Still feel confident in our MAC-C chances. My prediction about Freeman when we got to conference play was clearly wrong..he is a factor in every game. Go Zips! 

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Was anybody else suprised to see Wynn bring the ball up the floor in the last 3 minutes.  He threw an errant pass that led to a turnover.  Not sure what the logic is on that move.

If I recall, Jackson was doubled up and forced to give it up in the play you questioned. Wynn happened to be the closest Zip to the ball in the backcourt as he was the guy who inbounded the basketball. Would it have been better to have gone smaller and  had Tribble back there ?  Maybe.

I agree Akron didn't really play well, tons of misses at the rim and the turnovers are absolutely out of control. I believe it's Clark tracking Dailey's minutes, he continues to show us why that is the case. I thought Wynn was excellent on Pippen. My post from this morning ended up holding true I would say. Zips can be much better! Hell of a win, on to whoever is next!

What a game. So much to comment on.

• My new hero is Willie Coleman of our Alumni office for taking Dan Dakich to task for seemingly only talking about his time at BG while analyzing the Akron-Kent game. Well done Willie!
  • I thought it was crude of Dakich to call out Pippen repeatedly for poor play. He made it personal and college kids don't deserve that. Be objective and let his play speak for itself.
  • I did not join the chorus of concerns over LCJ's play against Toledo. Not because I didn't agree, but because there was too much angst. In the second half he reverted to his poor Toledo performance. He started looking only for himself and repeatedly drove the lane, with no openings, and  turnovers resulted. When the team stops moving and looks to LCJ to do something we can be beat. When everyone is moving we are damn near unstoppable.
  • Wynn has earned the right to start.
  • Groce is a pleasure to watch. He is always prepared and rarely, if ever, outreached. If we have issues he will solve them.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I hate to say it but the quality level of the announcers is reflective of the respect given to the MAC on a national level.  It's the same level of respect that results in a single bid to the tournament every year.

IDK..Dan Dakich has his own radio show.Jason Benetti is the Voice of the Chicago White Sox.Their upper echelon announcers.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I hate to say it but the quality level of the announcers is reflective of the respect given to the MAC on a national level.  It's the same level of respect that results in a single bid to the tournament every year.

Unfortunately if I was just a casual basketball fan watching that game last night I’d conclude that the MAC wasn’t a good league also. Even when we were way up in the first half were still missing easy shots at the rim...it’s just Kent looked awful. And the last 10 minutes were like a comedy...definitely not D1 basketball play. Overall it’s like we have 3 players and 2 bodies on the court at anytime.  I hope 4&5 materialize before the tourney but at this point maybe we have seen what we have. 

7 minutes ago, monrowe said:

IDK..Dan Dakich has his own radio show.Jason Benetti is the Voice of the Chicago White Sox.Their upper echelon announcers.

If that is the case than I rather have lower echelon announcers who will put some prep into the game and just not drone on to hear themselves speak.  Dakich did not bother to read the press guide and did not know the players.  The only players he mentioned were Pippin,  Jackson and Tribble.  

8 minutes ago, monrowe said:

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

What a game. So much to comment on.

• My new hero is Willie Coleman of our Alumni office for taking Dan Dakich to task for seemingly only talking about his time at BG while analyzing the Akron-Kent game. Well done Willie!
  • I thought it was crude of Dakich to call out Pippen repeatedly for poor play. He made it personal and college kids don't deserve that. Be objective and let his play speak for itself.
  • I did not join the chorus of concerns over LCJ's play against Toledo. Not because I didn't agree, but because there was too much angst. In the second half he reverted to his poor Toledo performance. He started looking only for himself and repeatedly drove the lane, with no openings, and  turnovers resulted. When the team stops moving and looks to LCJ to do something we can be beat. When everyone is moving we are damn near unstoppable.
  • Wynn has earned the right to start.
  • Groce is a pleasure to watch. He is always prepared and rarely, if ever, outreached. If we have issues he will solve them.

I believe Dakich and Senderoff have personal history back to Indiana, for better or worse ... Dakich talking about the old MAC days was his way of saying 'I used to coach here' ... as noted earlier, there was absolutely  no mention of Freeman and the fact he limited Pippen's impact in BOTH games. Calling out Pippen w/o mentioning Freeman was a disservice to both players. Freeman's walk-on story to starter for a MAC title contender is a great one. Pippen's return from 3 knee surgeries in 3 years is another. Dakich didn't tell  those story lines.

There's a way to lift both players as opposed to calling out one. Not talking about Freeman made his rips on the other guy look insightful, but he was not telling the full story. In one breath Dakich wants to see a 'team' player, in the other he expects one player to carry the whole load. -- Just think if the game was reversed how he might have talked about LCJ?

(BTW, didn't Pippen lead them in scoring, rebounding and assists, even with the stellar game from Freeman)?

I know it's Covid, but this was going on even before the Pandemic. Announcers calling the game from their basements are no different than fans doing the same. Let's get some professionals back.

• Like 1