Game 16- Miami

clarkwgriswold

Man, what a great game. Both teams were making high-level shots.  

Maishe’s steal was huge.

LCJ’s the ?

Ive got to note that I don’t have much confidence in what Tribble brings to the floor. He must be playing great D? He doesn’t have great handles & can’t shoot. I think I’d rather see Wynn get those minutes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Man, what a great game. Both teams were making high-level shots.  

Maishe’s steal was huge.

LCJ’s the ?

Ive got to note that I don’t have much confidence in what Tribble brings to the floor. He must be playing great D? He doesn’t have great handles & can’t shoot. I think I’d rather see Wynn get those minutes.

He is in for his defense as he is much superior to Trimble defensively.  His athleticism is great and helps his defense but he has yet to develop a shot.  Wynn is more interchangeable for Dailey and Ali as a forward in the rotation while Tribble is in the guard rotation.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He is in for his defense as he is much superior to Trimble defensively.  His athleticism is great and helps his defense but he has yet to develop a shot.  Wynn is more interchangeable for Dailey and Ali as a forward in the rotation while Tribble is in the guard rotation.

This game epitomizes what makes MAC basketball so unlike most other leagues. Many of these mid-major conferences most of the good teams all play a similar style. In the MAC it's a box of chocolates up and down the ranks. A good matchup for one team is a bad matchup for another. Witness Akron-Miami (and it has been this way for a few years now). Miami is good enough to beat a good team on a given night. Akron 'could' lose to a team it should beat on any given night. MAC basketball.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

This game epitomizes what makes MAC basketball so unlike most other leagues. Many of these mid-major conferences most of the good teams all play a similar style. In the MAC it's a box of chocolates up and down the ranks. A good matchup for one team is a bad matchup for another. Witness Akron-Miami (and it has been this way for a few years now). Miami is good enough to beat a good team on a given night. Akron 'could' lose to a team it should beat on any given night. MAC basketball.

Then there's K-College and Buffalo...

Hell of a ball game!! Jason Benetti is one of the best play by play guys in America....when not with that bald clown Dakich. Anywell, Lairy was outplaying LCJ at his own game until crunch time--then LCJ showed him who runs the league. That shot reminded me of that double clutch 3 over Cvetinovic that DJ Cooper hit in the 2012 title game in the dying moments with the shot clock expiring. Just wicked, but when you work your ass off and have a good feel for the game, luck tends to be on your side. And we're lucky to have LCJ. I can't say it enough. Make the effort to watch every game you can, he's incredible.

I believe Captain said it a couple weeks ago, Dailey plays better and shoots better when he doesn't have time to think. He was great on both ends tonight, and was pure on some free throws. We need that. More please! Also, Ali is a crazy consistent player, I love his motor and he makes few mistakes. What a great find by this staff!

Cam Reece had his worst game of the year until he locked in late, and he was a big factor in the win. Also, more quality minutes from Wynn and Dawson. Clarke has been quiet lately. 

LCJ missed about as many open jumpers as I've ever seen him miss and Trimble was about average. That's a tough place to win. On to the next one, I'd like more intensity on Tuesday for all 40 minutes, Miami had the advantage here for stretches and that's unacceptable for this Akron team. Hopefully they can bury NIU early and get guys like Clarke and Aziz more meaningful minutes. Go Zips!!!!!

2 hours ago, ZippyforPresident said:

The Redhawks made 17 of 19 Freethrows but missed when it counted and Mekhi Lairy is a dangerous guard. I still can't believe Jackson made that three point heave. We are lucky to escape Millett with the win.

Mekhi Lairy is just an inch taller than Lil Loren.  The broadcast crew at least gave that he was runner-up for Indiana Mr Basketball.  Look out for the sweaters to contend next year.  I noticed with 5 or 6 minutes to play, I believe Lairy had 6 or 7 more points than LCJ, but ended up getting outscored by...25-24 IIRC.  Maishe Daily, with 8 points and 5 assists in 25 minutes gets the Unheralded Player of the Game Award.  He provides a calming influence on his teammates, especially Ali who wanted to get after a Miami player late in the action.  Maishe talked to him and cooled his heels.

7 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

That shot reminded me of that double clutch 3 over Cvetinovic that DJ Cooper hit in the 2012 title game in the dying moments with the shot clock expiring. 

Thats the look I saw in Groces eyes after LCJ drained that 3.  The Hustle is the last few minutes with the steals and the crazy baskets reminded me of those OU tourney teams.  Dakich pulled himself together last night and watched the game and gave some good insights.  Zips are getting these national TV games in part because of LCJ.  Theres a star on the floor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Hell of a ball game!! Jason Benetti is one of the best play by play guys in America....when not with that bald clown Dakich. Anywell, Lairy was outplaying LCJ at his own game until crunch time--then LCJ showed him who runs the league. That shot reminded me of that double clutch 3 over Cvetinovic that DJ Cooper hit in the 2012 title game in the dying moments with the shot clock expiring. Just wicked, but when you work your ass off and have a good feel for the game, luck tends to be on your side. And we're lucky to have LCJ. I can't say it enough. Make the effort to watch every game you can, he's incredible.

I believe Captain said it a couple weeks ago, Dailey plays better and shoots better when he doesn't have time to think. He was great on both ends tonight, and was pure on some free throws. We need that. More please! Also, Ali is a crazy consistent player, I love his motor and he makes few mistakes. What a great find by this staff!

Cam Reece had his worst game of the year until he locked in late, and he was a big factor in the win. Also, more quality minutes from Wynn and Dawson. Clarke has been quiet lately. 

LCJ missed about as many open jumpers as I've ever seen him miss and Trimble was about average. That's a tough place to win. On to the next one, I'd like more intensity on Tuesday for all 40 minutes, Miami had the advantage here for stretches and that's unacceptable for this Akron team. Hopefully they can bury NIU early and get guys like Clarke and Aziz more meaningful minutes. Go Zips!!!!!

I remember that shot and Cooper was leaning into the basket while LCJ was fading away from the basket.  I also think that LCJ was a little further away from the 3 line.  Both were great shots but for difficulty level I would go with LCJ.

Watching replay, and Dakich is going off on refs and the 1999? Miami team.  He said there was an 8 count on a 10 second call and bad call on a charge and that Miami shouldn't have been in the NCAA tournament.   But looks like PCCC won in 1999 and Miami was an at large.  Any MAC historians know what he is talking about?