Pittsburgh Panthers - game rescheduled for Feb. 21...has now been postponed

Let's get this topic started....for the first game of a new and exciting year

What do we know about the opponent?

Coached by former Wake Forest legendary coach Jay Vidovich

Top Drawer soccer(TDS)  has them rated pre-season as the #3 team in the country  (TDS has the zips at 6)

College soccer news has Pitt rated at #8  (our beloved zips are pre-season #26)

Pittsburgh played soccer in the fall...and did quite well

3-1 win over Notre Dame on the road

3-2 double overtime win over Syracuse on the road

4-2 win over Va. Tech at home

(10 goals in their first 3 games.....impressive high powered offense)

3-2 overtime win over Virginia on the road

4-1 win over the Louisville Cardinals on the road

(17 goals in their 5 regular season games ....in ACC competition...wow )

ACC tournament

2-1 quarterfinal win over the Dukies....(game played in Raleigh)

3 days...later....3-1 semifinal win for Notre Dame (game played in Raleigh)

4 days later....2-1 loss in the ACC finals to Clemson (game played in Cary at Wake Med Soccer Park)

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/news/2021/2/12/mens-soccer-pitt-welcomes-defending-national-champion-georgetown-for-exhibition.aspx

the article above...has many good facts....on Pitt

to highlight a few....and compare to the zips

Top Drawer soccer(TDS) ....has put zip standout center back Carlo Ritaccio on their preseason 3rd team All America list

TDS.....has one Pitt Player on their first team preseason All America team...and another player on their 2nd team All America list

TDS....also does a preseason top 100 player list (Sophomores, juniors and seniors)

Zips had Carlo at 24 and Colin Biros at 37

TDS...has 4 Pitt Players on their list ....#8 ; #15 ; #50 and #71

TDS...also put a Pitt Freshman on their 11 player preseason All Freshman

TDS...did not select any zips to their All Freshman list

this biased writer (yes, me...the always opinionated TennZip!!!)...says boo on TDS....Jason Shokalook....will be on TDS....all freshman list...after the season is over

going to another source of info......The Hermann Trophy is presented after the season to the nation's best college soccer player....The group does a preseason Hermann Trophy watch list...

I think that the list is normally about 45 players....No zips were included on the preseason watch list...2 Pitt Panthers...are on the Hermann Trophy Watch list

both are sophomores....

5'10 midfielder Valentin Noel from France...who has an active streak of 6 straight games with a goal scored

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/valentin-noel/10999

5'10 midfielder Veljko Petkovic (Serbia)

scored 2 goals this year in one game against Notre Dame...had another game this year against Louisville ..where he had 2 assists

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/veljko-petkovic/11001

the zips did catch a break yesterday....Pitt was scheduled to play their one scheduled exhibition game yesterday against defending national champ Georgetown

game had to be cancelled due to covid concerns in the Georgetown soccer program

zips....getting to play 2 exhibition games...will help them against Pitt.....

that is all I know.....can't wait for the game next Saturday....I am sure that Coach Embick will have the guys ready....Go, zips !!!

• Like 2

Man, what a great preview!  Thank you, TennZip!!

I think this is going to be a rough one.  Pitt looks like an extremely talented side (again, thank you TennZip) and the fact they played in the fall is huge.  Last fall these guys went 7-1 with wins over Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Louisville, Duke, and had two wins over Notre Dame, until finally losing to Clemson 2-1 in the ACC championship game.

We better be ready to go.

• Like 2

I never heard of this guy, but it sounds like he can play a bit.

Number 13, Alexander Dexter.

University of Pittsburgh Philanthropic & Alumni Engagement - Scholarship Donors Make It Possible for This International Soccer Standout to Attend Pitt

18 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

I never heard of this guy, but it sounds like he can play a bit.

Number 13, Alexander Dexter.

University of Pittsburgh Philanthropic & Alumni Engagement - Scholarship Donors Make It Possible for This International Soccer Standout to Attend Pitt

https://www.giveto.pitt.edu/s/1729/18/interior-giving.aspx?sid=1729&gid=2&pgid=4439&cid=10797&ecid=10797&crid=0&calpgid=2135&calcid=3585

I could not find a link to click in your post....I think this is what you wanted to attach

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Will this game be streaming?

on the spring schedule topic, Zip_ME87 posted that the game was showing on the ESPN+ schedule for Feb. 20

on the pitt schedule, it shows as ACC network extra

However, on the right of the screen...it shows a link for live stats...and a tv screen link

when I click on tv screen, it takes to an ESPN screen and asks me to log in

I think if you pay monthly for ESPN+, you should be able to see the game.  

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule

https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=725413e4-ebec-40a7-9c22-4bffda33afe4

the zip website has an article on the MAC conference voting

https://gozips.com/news/2021/2/16/akron-mens-soccer-selected-to-capture-mac-title.aspx

snippet from that article:

Akron opens its campaign this week visiting third-rated Pittsburgh on Saturday, Feb. 20. The 3 p.m. contest with the Panthers will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra.

Edited by TennZip
additional info
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Will this game be streaming?

I just googled ACC Network extra

and this is what I found:

What is ACC Network Extra?

ACC Network Extra is a streaming-only option, offered exclusively through WatchESPN and the ESPN app, that airs many of the games not shown on the ACC Network.

• Thanks 1

• TennZip changed the title to Pittsburgh Panthers - game has been changed to Sunday February 21
  • TennZip changed the title to Pittsburgh Panthers - game rescheduled for Feb. 21...has now been postponed