Game 18- Ball State

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to the lovely Muncie, Indiana Friday night to face the Ball Stare Cardinals.  The game is at 7:00 on the CBS Sports network.  You shouldn't be able to call a game broadcast on such a limited network a national broadcast.

The Cardinals stand at 7-9 overall and 5-6 in the MAC heading into Bowling Green tonight.  Heading into BG they’ve had two games in row postponed with their last game an impressive 81-67 home win over Toledo.

The Zips throttled a shorthanded BS team 74-42 at the JAR on January 30th.  The guard heavy Cards are led by K.J. Walton at 16.1 ppg and Ishmael El-Amin at 15.3 ppg.

7 hours ago, NWAkron said:

https://overthepylon.boards.net/board/3/bsu-basketball

Ball State has one of the more active message boards.  They are over the "Whitford experiment."

I'm jealous of their baseball board.

...but their program has earned it.

I was thinking about it today, and despite recent wins against some decent teams and a couple of bad ones, Akron hasn’t been playing very good basketball. And that concerns me a bit going into this game. I know the first matchup wasn’t even a contest, but they just beat Toledo a couple games ago and the road trips in this league are never easy. I would argue that the Zips have played one really good half of basketball since then where they’ve played to their potential—the first half at Kent. And Groce’s comments have kind of reflected that. I’m ready to see these guys get hot again and “flip the switch” to start playing like we all know they can. 

A positive in this observation? They’re winning when they don’t play very well, and that’s a trait that last year’s team developed as the year went on. The wins at Buffalo, vs. Ohio, vs. EMU, at WMU. That tells me that this team is really damn good. Of course, we all know that. But I found it interesting. Not long ago, when this team wasn’t playing great it was losing to EMU and NIU. Now it’s beating teams better than them while not playing all that much better. Just a thought. Go Zips!

• Like 2

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2021/02/19/university-akron-mens-basketball-zips-need-refocus-stretch/4493544001/

another negative article from GT.  Says Akron needs Toledo to falter, but I'm not sure that's the case since looks like they will play even amount of games.  But then he adds that it's more realistic that the Zips will screw up and give ground to the team from Portage County

"They still have a shot at the No. 1 seed, but need Toledo to falter, but perhaps it’s more realistic for the Zips to worry about whether or not they will stumble with a Kent State sitting behind in the standings. UA has won three in a row, but has not looked pretty in the most recent two and they did not put together a complete game in the past three."

I get that he is giving his version of realistic coverage, but he writes with such disdain for the program.  He didn't make one pure  positive point about the team.  And if he did, he couches it with something negative.  How about Zips trail Toledo after splitting their two games.  Kent lurks behind with 4 losses but two of those come from Zips sweeping the Flashes for first time in...

Edited by NWAkron

21 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Thats what Hilltopper says as well.  We all should be expecting more from Groce and Zips deep into February.  Winning ugly isn't a frame work for success

Eh I wouldn't call it expecting more. Just recognizing they're not playing very well. That said it's nice to still come out with wins when you don't have your A game. But they'll need to find it soon

27 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2021/02/19/university-akron-mens-basketball-zips-need-refocus-stretch/4493544001/

another negative article from GT.  Says Akron needs Toledo to falter, but I'm not sure that's the case since looks like they will play even amount of games.  But then he adds that it's more realistic that the Zips will screw up and give ground to the team from Portage County

"They still have a shot at the No. 1 seed, but need Toledo to falter, but perhaps it’s more realistic for the Zips to worry about whether or not they will stumble with a Kent State sitting behind in the standings. UA has won three in a row, but has not looked pretty in the most recent two and they did not put together a complete game in the past three."

I get that he is giving his version of realistic coverage, but he writes with such disdain for the program.  He didn't make one pure  positive point about the team.  And if he did, he couches it with something negative.  How about Zips trail Toledo after splitting their two games.  Kent lurks behind with 4 losses but two of those come from Zips sweeping the Flashes for first time in...

I have no problem with GT critiquing the Zips. Those statements were fair and accurate. The problem is as the Zips beat writer he should know Akron as of now would own a tie-breaker over Toledo therefore we don't need Toledo to do anything. What we need is to win the games in front of us and hope covid doesn't prevent us from playing fewer games than Toledo. As of now both teams are scheduled to play 19 games. 

They still have a shot at the No. 1 seed, but need Toledo to falter

• Thanks 1

His opinion just stinks, honestly. Outside of EMU and NIU clunkers, which were clearly an anomoly, we've lost to MAC leading Toledo and St Bonaventure, who is currently 4th in the A-10. We have a 2 game lead over Can't with the tiebreaker and they have a similar schedule to end conference play. Its more likely we win the conference than finish 3rd place IMO.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

I don't disagree with GT, but I still have many issues with the guy. First of all, he's often pretty vocal about not enjoying covering the Akron beat and I've seen him tweet about it before, saying things like "I wish, but I have to watch Akron" or something like that. I'm not going to search for it.

And in the video of the presser from the game at Kent, they show George sitting in his office at home on the zoom call. But you barely even notice his face with the massive Ohio State Fat Head he had on the wall behind him. That pissed me off. 

6 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I don't disagree with GT, but I still have many issues with the guy. First of all, he's often pretty vocal about not enjoying covering the Akron beat and I've seen him tweet about it before, saying things like "I wish, but I have to watch Akron" or something like that. I'm not going to search for it.

And in the video of the presser from the game at Kent, they show George sitting in his office at home on the zoom call. But you barely even notice his face with the massive Ohio State Fat Head he had on the wall behind him. That pissed me off. 

You can be critical of the team and not be disdainful and  be obviously hoping for that "I told you so" moment. 

• Thanks 1

My idea, right or wrong, is that a beat writer's job is to convey information about the team and the games.  A columnist's job is to give opinion.  I'd prefer a beat writer that tells me what's going on with the team and occasionally provides me with info I haven't otherwise come across.  GT gives me game and team info but veers off into the columnist opinion stuff.  I also don't find much of anything new about the team in his articles.  I get just as much or more info on here.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't be any more or less pleased if he was a cheerleader/homer.  Its a personal preference and maybe not a realistic one in today's journalistic format.  Maybe his style appeals to some.   My preference is Joe Friday's "just the facts."

Zips are 5 point road favorites in this one.  Hope the guys are ready, because the Cardinals really took it to Toledo in Muncie two weeks ago.

I've got my Youtube TV free subscription trial lined up.  Unfortunately, they've shortened the free trial to 5 days and the Zips' next 3 are on CBS Sports Network.  Looks like my wife may need a free trial subscription next week before the BG game....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My idea, right or wrong, is that a beat writer's job is to convey information about the team and the games.  A columnist's job is to give opinion.  I'd prefer a beat writer that tells me what's going on with the team and occasionally provides me with info I haven't otherwise come across.  GT gives me game and team info but veers off into the columnist opinion stuff.  I also don't find much of anything new about the team in his articles.  I get just as much or more info on here.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't be any more or less pleased if he was a cheerleader/homer.  Its a personal preference and maybe not a realistic one in today's journalistic format.  Maybe his style appeals to some.   My preference is Joe Friday's "just the facts."

Here's the problem: The days of having a 'beat writer' and a columnist are long gone. Newspapers (and TV) want more opinion than news to get just what we have here, friction. Sports stories in particular are more often than not a one-way spin. (The Browns didn't lose, the Chiefs got lucky). And while 'fans' can criticize, they want their newspapers to 'support.' .... This article by GT (short of mentioning tiebreakers) points out that Akron is struggling a bit (correct) but does not point out Toledo is struggling a bit as well, and Kent is hobbled by injuries and led by a guy with two gate creaking knees. (And no mention of Ohio lurking in the weeds via winning percentage). In reality, if Akron doesn't wind up with the No. 1 seed, the Zips will have none to blame but themselves.

Of course, GT did not write that, because it's overall probably a bit harsh (and rightfully so) but at this point it is still a hard fact (with tiebreakers) the Zips control their own fate ... and should be responsible for the end result.

• Like 1