Game 18- Ball State

clarkwgriswold

Love these Zips. Very frustrating at times lately, but they’re tough and they’ve got swagger. A great team win indeed! Onto Athens!

Groce talked on the post game about the Ali Ali story. He and Ford were in Grand Rapids to watch a different player and Ali caught their eye in a couple games. Groce had to leave town and he told Ford to watch him one more time. Ford called Groce and said “Coach I don’t know how nobody else is recruiting this kid.” And the rest is history. Awesome story. Go Zips!!!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LZIp said:

No hand shaking after the game...interesting.

I’ll take the roadkill W any day of the week, especially when LCJ doesn’t play his best.

Same thing at Miami with them sprinting off of the floor.  I think the no handshake thing is Covid-19 based, the sprint off is based on wanting to get out without any shananigans.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Wynn only played eight minutes.. odd. 

He was off. A couple blown defensive assignments off the ball and a particularly lazy almost turnover late in the 1st half doomed him to the bench for most of the 2nd half. I remember watching the play in question as he handled the ball up top, accidentally dribbled behind his back(?) and then threw a lazy one -handed pass to the wing that was nearly picked off. Groce exploded on the sideline.

12 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Same thing at Miami with them sprinting off of the floor.  I think the no handshake thing is Covid-19 based, the sprint off is based on wanting to get out without any shananigans.

It must be COVID protocols.  After almost every game you will see Groce do a fist or elbow bump in the air while nodding to the opposing coach.  

11 hours ago, Zip JD said:

It must be COVID protocols.  After almost every game you will see Groce do a fist or elbow bump in the air while nodding to the opposing coach.  

The radio guys indicated it might have been to avoid any issues between the players and referenced it happening at Miami.  I assumed that there was a little hostility at the end of Ball State as evidenced by the two techs.  Not sure what if anything may have happened at Miami. 

On 2/19/2021 at 8:11 AM, NWAkron said:

They still have a shot at the No. 1 seed, but need Toledo to falter, but perhaps it’s more realistic for the Zips to worry about whether or not they will stumble with a Kent State sitting behind in the standings.

This is now true for the Zips and Toledo but the Flushes are in the same spot. In order to move up a seed the team right in front of them must lose at least two of their three games remaining while the trailing team must win at least 2 of three. For KSU to overtake Toledo Rockets must lose all three and Flushes win all three. I just don't  see any of that happening. The more interesting scenario comes in behind since Ohio and Buffalo won't have played as many games. These are the finishing percentages that matter for each team.

Zips

12-7 .631

13-6 .684

14-5.736

15-4. 789

Ohio

10-6 .625

11-5 .687

12 -4 .750

Buffalo

10-7 .588

11-6 .647

12-5 .705

Zips win all three obviously they are fine.

Zips win 2 of 3 Ohio can pass them by winning all four

Zips win one of three Ohio can pass them by winning at least three, Buffalo would have to win all four

If Zips win none - obviously can be passed by both.

I think the standings are going to stay exactly as the are right now. 1- Toledo, 2 - Zips, 3 - Flushes (they are in the most danger of dropping a seed but I'd like to see them stay exactly where they are), 4 - Ohio and 5 Buffalo (dogfight there), 6 BUGS,  7 Miami and 8 Ball State. Entire "East" division makes it.

Edited by MDZip

10 minutes ago, MDZip said:

This is now true for the Zips and Toledo but the Flushes are in the same spot. In order to move up a seed the team right in front of them must lose at least two of their three games remaining while the trailing team must lose at least 2 of three. For KSU to overtake Toledo Rockets must lose all three and Flushes win all three. I just don't  see any of that happening. The more interesting scenario comes in behind since Ohio and Buffalo won't have played as many games. These are the finishing percentages that matter for each team.

Zips

12-7 .631

13-6 .684

14-5.736

15-4. 789

Ohio

10-6 .625

11-5 .687

12 -4 .750

Buffalo

10-7 .588

11-6 .647

12-5 .705

Zips win all three obviously they are fine.

Zips win 2 of 3 Ohio can pass them by winning all four

Zips win one of three Ohio can pass them by winning at least three, Buffalo would have to win all four

If Zips win none - obviously can be passed by both.

I think the standings are going to stay exactly as the are right now. 1- Toledo, 2 - Zips, 3 - Flushes (they are in the most danger of dropping a seed but I'd like to see them stay exactly where they are), 4 - Ohio and 5 Buffalo (dogfight there), 6 BUGS,  7 Miami and 8 Ball State. Entire "East" division makes it.

excellent post.  Look at the MAC tourney rules posted on their website or I linked in the mac tourney opinion thread.    a team could be dropped and WMU replace them if it's outside 48 hours.  If within 48 hours opponent gets a bye.