Game 19- Ohio U

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I thought we are much worse defensively this year so I checked the stats from last year to this year and was amazed how similar the stats are from last year.  Last year our average win was by 8.8 points (75.7-66.9)  and this year it is by 9.4(79.3-69.9) points.  Last  year we shot .428 from the floor and this year we shot .461 from the floor.  However, last year out opponents shot .40 from the floor last year and now shooting .44 from the floor.  Last year we shot 305 from 3 pointers and this year we improved to .351.  However, our opponents improved  from 303 to 361.  This season is very much last season except we are better offensively and worse defensively but not by a great deal.  

Good post.  I guess last year wasn't all sunshine and lollipops as they say.   

3 to 5% seems like a small margin but it's more substantial than it appears.  For example, last year's .303 in three point defense made them first in the MAC.  Put in their .361 of this year, they would have been 11th.

This team misses Riak on defense as he directed the defense and served as a safety net when guys were beat and misses Banks as a strong perimeter defender.  Tribble is getting there with the perimeter defense but his shooting limits his time on the floor.

I guess Zips are now at -1.  

Boals admitted not everyone will be available for the game Tuesday. And the Bobcats may not be complete for another week to 10 days.

“We still don’t have everyone. We won’t everyone (Tuesday), or even Thursday,” the coach said. “Maybe by Saturday.

“I’m not naïve enough to think we’ll go out and play our best basketball,” the coach said. “It’ll be sloppy.”

• Like 1

Just now, zipsrule said:

Ohio is on fire from 3 and we are ice cold.

Ohio has an advantage from practicing in a big, cold, empty gym like the Convocation Center.  Shooting in an empty cavern really messes with depth perception, I'd have to guess we'll adjust and get used to the setting soon.