Game 19- Ohio U

clarkwgriswold

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I had a really crappy afternoon of work and completely missed it.  Sounds like I had a better afternoon than those of you that had to watch it.

Just like 2019 OU game at the JAR.  Right when the Zips crashed at end of season and played themselves into a quarter final game with top 20 Canada. 

Just now, monrowe said:

The Zips look burned out from being on the road for a month.The Bobcats haven’t played in 21 their legs are fresh.

That’s what I was thinking; they look burned out. This was their 5th road game out of the last 6 games. Maybe that’s what it was. Idk but they didn’t have any energy or form on either end of the floor today.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, monrowe said:

The Zips look burned out from being on the road for a month.The Bobcats haven’t played in 21 their legs are fresh.

Good comment.  I think its a mental drain more than physical.   NIU got Zips after a long break and were motivated.  And they have 3 more tough games ahead.   

Edited by NWAkron

21 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Dailey is worthless 😒

I have been paying attention to your frustration with him all season long and I agreed all along that it would have been nice if his senior leadership made an impact early in the season. But I kept hoping he would come around. Now we are near the end of the season and I have to say sometimes the truth hurts. And you are speaking truth. Disappointing.

• Thanks 1

Pretty pathetic showing to lose to Ohio by 17 when they were without their best player. I suppose it's better to have one of these dud showings now instead of in Cleveland.

In all likelihood this loss likely means Toledo won the regular season title as they're now a full game up with the head to head tie-breaker so pretty much up 2 games with 3 left to play.

Edited by kreed5120

10 minutes ago, monrowe said:

While Zips look burned out, Ohio looks fresh, and will get fresher when their top two players return. Gone unnoticed is the fact Toledo and Ohio were only scheduled to play once this season, and that game was quite awhile ago. If this OU team gets to finish out its remaining schedule with no covid/injury issues they very well could be the No. 1 threat against the Rockets. They have a top tier PG, a solid backup PG, and a top tier (MAC) post player which is the one area Toledo is shy of. And as proven today, the Bobcats have enough firepower when they can dial it all up.

In terms of favorites (not seeding) for MAC Tournament  - as of today - I'd go

1. Toledo

2. Akron

3 Ohio

4 Buffalo-Kent

In reverse order don't think UB has the firepower to last three games and don;t know if Kent (Pippen) can hold up for three games ... but I will say this. If Toledo/Akron have to play both of those two (quaterfinials/semis) to make the finals, not sure either Toledo/Akron would have enough gas left to finish it off. Final Standings/seedings/pairings will be critical. Ohio can't be a 1 seed, but could be No. 2 with a strong finish and Akron dropoff. Either is likely. Ohio game at Kent next week could be huge for everybody - Akron, OU, KSU and UB.

I've been concerned with OU for the whole season so I'm not all that surprised with this result. With three very good players, a fairly decent supporting staff and good coaching, they can do some damage in the MAC.  With the way that the Zips have played since halftime of the PCCC game, this result is really no surprise.

On to the next one hoping that they can break out of this malaise.

11 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

While Zips look burned out, Ohio looks fresh, and will get fresher when their top two players return. Gone unnoticed is the fact Toledo and Ohio were only scheduled to play once this season, and that game was quite awhile ago. If this OU team gets to finish out its remaining schedule with no covid/injury issues they very well could be the No. 1 threat against the Rockets. They have a top tier PG, a solid backup PG, and a top tier (MAC) post player which is the one area Toledo is shy of. And as proven today, the Bobcats have enough firepower when they can dial it all up.

In terms of favorites (not seeding) for MAC Tournament  - as of today - I'd go

1. Toledo

2. Akron

3 Ohio

4 Buffalo-Kent

In reverse order don't think UB has the firepower to last three games and don;t know if Kent (Pippen) can hold up for three games ... but I will say this. If Toledo/Akron have to play both of those two (quaterfinials/semis) to make the finals, not sure either Toledo/Akron would have enough gas left to finish it off. Final Standings/seedings/pairings will be critical. Ohio can't be a 1 seed, but could be No. 2 with a strong finish and Akron dropoff. Either is likely. Ohio game at Kent next week could be huge for everybody - Akron, OU, KSU and UB.

You make a good point.   Just a mess of a season and you just can't tell who gets advantage.   At first blush, Toledo benefits from playing a full season but are their players tired or injured.  OU may have gotten a beneficial vacation heading into the final few weeks.  Akron stuck in the middle.  Running all over.

The defense was horrible today.  You cannot just leave your man standing by himself at the 3 line and then wonder why they go in.  This team has been winning because of their offense, shooting the ball well.  That did not happen today.  Ali was taking the early shots and kept missing.  Dailey regularly takes 4 shots a game and makes one.  Trimble vanished in the first half and we had trouble penetrating to the hoop.  Not sure if the team travelled today but it sure looked like it.  I remember another game where we went down to OU and got killed where it was not even close.  At least there was no crowd there.  I remember they used to fill that place several years ago.  Hopefully, they can shake it off.

• Like 1

We had it coming from OU.  Like that song from Chicago.  We (me) rip them on here and last years game at OU went down to the end and Kittens made quite a comeback.   Then we blasted them at home on national TV after being behind by a lot at half.  Then the earlier game up here.   Boals got his first win on Groce in an empty convo.

Edited by NWAkron