Game 20- BGSU

clarkwgriswold

The wildly inconsistent BGSU Falcons come to the JAR Friday night to face the Zips.  The Falcons were the pre-season favorite to win the MAC and currently stand at 12-9/8-7.  They've won their last 2 (Toledo and Ball State) heading into Ypsilanti Tuesday night after dropping 6 in a row in the mid-season.  The game is actually at a regular game time, 7:00 p.m., and will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network.

Justin Turner continues to lead the Falcons in scoring at 20.5 ppg.  Daeqwon Plowden is their second leading scorer at 13.2 ppg while leading rebounding at 7.7 rpg.  They are coached by the most Covid careful coach in the MAC, Michael Huger, who goes full mask and gloves 24/7.

The Zips beat BG  69-57 in Stroh Center on January 19th.

• Like 1

I feel like somehow we need to shake things up a little.  

1. Start Dawson over Dailey.

Bring Maishe off the bench & just tell him to take a deep breath and focus on playing suffocating D; let any offense just take care of itself.

2. Bring in Clarke as our #2 PG as opposed to Tribble.

Tribble is more of a 2 guard.  He doesn't have the typical handles of a PG. (...nor the typical shot of a 2 guard 😐)

3. If we play as lackadaisically as we did today, then Marshall should play more.  That guy hustles.  Maybe even start Marshall and make Ali our official 6th Man.  That's not a demotion of Ali, it's a promotion.  He'd be the undisputed leader of our 2nd unit & would give us more spark off the bench.

Just thoughts.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Bring Maishe off the bench & just tell him to take a deep breath and focus on playing suffocating D; let any offense just take care of itself.

Tribble is more of a 2 guard.  He doesn't have the typical handles of a PG. (...nor the typical shot of a 2 guard 😐)

3. If we play as lackadaisically as we did today, then Marshall should play more.  That guy hustles.  Maybe even start Marshall and make Ali our official 6th Man.  That's not a demotion of Ali, it's a promotion.  He'd be the undisputed leader of our 2nd unit & would give us more spark off the bench.

Just thoughts.  

I can't disagree on Dailey.  Great kid and I was rooting for him but he continues to struggle.  I though would think about replacing him with Wynn rather than Dawson.  That being said, I don't expect any changes this late in the season.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

Dawson's 3 stroke is getting better by the game. His energy is always there. He's a big guard that can body-up with a lot of the thicker 2's and 3's in the MAC. I want to see more of him. He's definitely trending up. 

BTW I like Jeff Boals, but it was a wuss move to complain to the officials about the Dawson trash talk after the made 3. Like Jeff never talked any trash in his day. I don't think the refs even heard anything...they just listened to Boals erupt about it, and then called the T.

I hate that the refs are calling T's on one or two word chirps after a key made bucket. Reese got a similar one a game or two ago that was just as bad. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 9:27 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Just thoughts.  

Marshall has trouble thinking the game he misses a lot of defensive coverages. Can’t pull Ali out of the lineup after one bad game. Maishe however should or probably will be replaced in the line up by Tribble who’s an elite athlete can guard multiple positions, attack the rim forcing the defense to collapse he’s also becoming a pretty good rebounder, can do a little bit of everything almost had a 5 5 5 game last game. The game is all about scoring especially when you have guys that can fill it up like LCJ and Bryan Trimble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigzip1 said:

Marshall has trouble thinking the game he misses a lot of defensive coverages. Can’t pull Ali out of the lineup after one bad game. Maishe however should or probably will be replaced in the line up by Tribble who’s an elite athlete can guard multiple positions, attack the rim forcing the defense to collapse he’s also becoming a pretty good rebounder, can do a little bit of everything almost had a 5 5 5 game last game. The game is all about scoring especially when you have guys that can fill it up like LCJ and Bryan Trimble. 

The only downside to Tribble is that the opponents have figured out that he has no shot.  As a result, they completely back off on him on the perimeter and don't hesitate to leave him in help defense.  That also limits his dribble drive opportunities. 

In any event, as much as we might like to see a shakeup I think it is unlikely with only 3 games left.

BG has really picked it up since that disastrous stretch a few weeks ago, and considering how the Zips have been playing I'm much more concerned than usual going into a game against BG. Akron hasn't lost to BG at the JAR since I believe 2009.

I love Akron on paper against BG (and most teams in the MAC for that matter), but we all know that means very little. Star power goes to Akron with LCJ > Turner. Post play Freeman/Reece > Whatever BG trots out. The things in the middle are pretty close, with Akron's supporting cast having a far higher ceiling. This is a good matchup for Akron, as is a team like Kent. I'd like to see the Zips go back to their formula from their best play of the season. LCJ playing his game and hitting shots he always hits, Trimble making every open look, Ali hitting perimeter shots but not as the focus of the offense, Freeman grabbing boards, 1-2 really good contributions from Maishe, and then 3-4 really solid contributions from Dawson/Wynn/Clarke. Of course, it's much more difficult than just saying "HEY GUYS, PLAY GOOD" but if the guys focus on playing their asses off on defense and simply making smart plays (aka being an NBA All-Star in their own roles), the pieces should fall into place. I think a lot of the recent struggles come from LCJ being off, similar to how he regularly played in his first season as a Zip. Obviously, Akron basketball is poetry in motion when he's playing well and the room for error becomes enormous. But the talent level on this roster is such that he shouldn't have to do that every game for Akron to play at a very high level. That's where a guy like Maishe could have made the most impact this year. 

In the past, these are games that Akron tends to come back strong in and look good. I trust Groce and LCJ to get the most out of this team. I'm excited to see what happens! Go Zips!

• Like 2

I think Turner and Plowden are always going to get their's.  The key is to prevent any of their other players from going off.  If the perimeter defense is off again, guys like Diggs and Metheny could really do some damage.  BG doesn't have a traditional big post presence but Plowden can do some real damage on the boards and he's a tough matchup as he can play like a wing yet is among the league's top rebounders.  They need a body on him at all times.

• Like 1

ESPN's game preview concludes with this para.  This gotta change:

DID YOU KNOW: The Bowling Green offense has recorded a turnover on only 14.3 percent of its possessions, which is the fourth-lowest rate in the nation. The Akron defense has forced opposing teams to turn the ball over on just 17.4 percent of all possessions (ranked 282nd among Division I teams).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice article by GT today about the Dawsons.  Follow the link below to view the article.

Siblings lift UA basketball programs

https://akronbeaconjournal-oh-app.newsmemory.com/?publink=15e8ad745

It would be an even better article if there was actually a doubleheader today. As Bugs Bunny would say "what a maroon." 🙄

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

ESPN's game preview concludes with this para.  This gotta change:

DID YOU KNOW: The Bowling Green offense has recorded a turnover on only 14.3 percent of its possessions, which is the fourth-lowest rate in the nation. The Akron defense has forced opposing teams to turn the ball over on just 17.4 percent of all possessions (ranked 282nd among Division I teams).

You mean Akron plays defense?  (LOL)

24 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

357 days ago we were sitting in the JAR watching our Zips beat PCCC...sigh.

I agree. It’s great we can follow the team on TV. Very grateful for today’s technology. But I am really missing seeing games in-person. And the pregaming at The Score. And seeing friends that you rarely see outside of Zips games.

💉 can’t get here soon enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I agree. It’s great we can follow the team on TV. Very grateful for today’s technology. But I am really missing seeing games in-person. And the pregaming at The Score. And seeing friends that you rarely see outside of Zips games.

💉 can’t get here soon enough. 

Wasn't too long ago we were listening to the away games on the radio.  Amd this is 5 weeks on a row on national TV.  Impressive for the team