Game 20- BGSU

clarkwgriswold

Going into the season, I think a lot of had pretty high expectations for Dailey and Currie. The fact is both have done next to nothing this year. When two of your projected top 4 players give you nothing, you're probably not going to have the season you hoped for.

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

They're just completely out of sync on offense and defense.  This team has just not meshed like last year's squad.  

Watching the game the word that came to mind was "rudderless". I think this team is maxed out. We need a full off-season of development, individually and collectively. Covid please go away.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bigzipguy said:

No question that indeed, the biggest problem is on defense. Too much pressure on the offense to score on nearly every possession(AND A LOT OF PRESSURE ON LCJ)

It seemed like BG always had the ball and Zips were treading water.  Like a football game when one team is trouncing in minutes offense is on the field.  Groce was prophetic when he said st this point teams are either going way up or way down.  Last year Zips flopped at BG then came back at Buffalo next game.  However,  these guys don't have last years swagger or grit. They get to Cleveland maybe a 5th seed and face BG in first roundb is what it looks like.  A big loss Tuesday likely.  Buffalo brutal underneath.   These guys cant match up.  Hopefully,  get some momentum from Miami game.

Edited by NWAkron

Just now, LZIp said:

Going into the season, I think a lot of had pretty high expectations for Dailey and Currie. The fact is both have done next to nothing this year. When two of your projected top 4 players give you nothing, you're probably not going to have the season you hoped for.

This is true.  I've been vocal about my disappointment in Dailey, but during the preseason I had Currie penciled into my starting lineup prediction.

I've also got to say, I still would like to see Dawson in the starting lineup.  I know Tribble's a very athletic defender, but I just don't see the reason for him getting PT in front of Dawson.

• Like 1

As a PG it’s your job to distribute and bring guys along, try to build confidence and get other guys going. Most of the time our PG passes as a 2nd thought/last resort. Groce has taken a lazy approach with our offense it’s too much 1-4 flat we get guys just standing in the corner hoping the ball comes their way. 

7 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

As a PG it’s your job to distribute and bring guys along, try to build confidence and get other guys going. Most of the time our PG passes as a 2nd thought/last resort. Groce has taken a lazy approach with our offense it’s too much 1-4 flat we get guys just standing in the corner hoping the ball comes their way. 

It is but it's also not his job to babysit and pass up decent looks just to be charitable

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

It is but it's also not his job to babysit and pass up decent looks just to be charitable

Passing the ball getting guys involved will never be considered charitable. Especially when your idea of decent looks are pulling up as soon as you pass half court. Stop it with that nonsense this game is a team sport it takes a team effort to win. I’m disappointed in the coaching staff for allowing this to happen. Teams with lottery level talent at guard don't even allow what I just saw tonight. 

Just now, Bigzip1 said:

Passing the ball getting guys involved will never be considered charitable. Especially when your idea of decent looks are pulling up as soon as you pass half court. Stop it with that nonsense this game is a team sport it takes a team effort to win. I’m disappointed in the coaching staff for allowing this to happen. Teams with lottery level talent at guard don't even allow what I just saw tonight. 

I agree.  LCJ's got to get more of an LBJ mindset.  During the first quarter of games LeBron often passes up open looks to get his teammates the ball, purposefully trying to get his teammates going & into the flow of the game.  It's a team game.

• Like 1

LCJ had to try and save their asses.  Who is the other guy on the team who was going to make some shots?  Anyway, I hope there aren't these recriminations in the locker room.  This season has been effed up.  God only knows what shenanigans are going on behind the scenes with these teams other than Akron.  No one is getting an at large big.  8 teams start fresh in Cleveland and they've all shown they can lay an egg on an off night.

This team seems to live and die by the 3.  We were horrible from the 3 line and we do not have players that can drive to the hoop with any consistent results.  These guys do not come off screens to get open.  It is dribble drive and pass off for a three.  When your players are not hitting the 3, we are bad.  Most importantly, we are not great on defense.  Opposing players can drive to the hoop.  Freeman had some nice blocks but we need to play better defense.  If Swingle can score easy points on our d, we are in trouble.  

Yuck. Yuck yuck yuck. 4 straight sh*t halves. First time that's happened in a couple years. There's really not much more to say than this team is not fun to watch right now. At all. A month ago it was poetry in motion, go figure. And no LCJ is not being too selfish. This was actually one of his better games as far as shot selection, he just didn't hit the 3s he normally does. He had a ton of good looks that didn't fall. 

As for the two high major transfers, that's their collective worst performance since St. Bonaventure. Maishe made a hell of a Euro step finish early and Trimble made his only 3s very early. Then? Maishe is Maishe of course, but then Trimble was taking awful shots and missing badly. And then he bricked his most wide open shot of his life. Then once the team collectively felt it was out of reach (it wasn't yet), effort went straight down the toilet. BG isn't overtly talented, but they play like Akron did at one point. Use hard defense to create offense. They shut down Akron and in turn played loose and played smart basketball, props to them. I'm jealous.

The sky is a lot closer to the ground than it was last week, but I still have faith. BG has rattled off 4 great road wins in a row after dropping I believe 6 in a row, teams can be up and down, Lord knows we have. 

At the end of the day, I will officially retire my hopes of this team developing the toughness and swagger of last year's team, my hope for a slasher/finisher died a while back too. If this team is to do anything special, it comes largely down to execution. The pieces are there, the effort is usually there, just execute. It'll be a long 3 days off before Buffalo, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

It's not necessarily an indictment having multiple guys that can be the #2 on any given night, but yeah, when there's only one guy scoring anyone is going to have problems

As the season has worn on it has become clear the vast majority of teams in the MAC are hurting for a CONSISTENT No. 2 scorer, and a No. 3 in dbl figures as well. Toledo has a 2 and a 3. Ohio has a 2 and a 3. Kent (had) a 2 and sometimes a 3. BG had a 1 and 2 but no middle and no 3. That's about it. Now all of a sudden BG has a No. 3 scorer (Matheny) and they are taking off. I know Ohio has not played a lot of games, but they still have the most complete (inside/outside)  roster in the league with productive inside/outside players. If they get it going down the stretch the Bobcats could be the team to beat.

Then the league will have to listen to the Kittens roar about always being the best tournament team in the MAC.