Game 20- BGSU

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, Bigzip1 said:

As a PG it’s your job to distribute and bring guys along, try to build confidence and get other guys going. Most of the time our PG passes as a 2nd thought/last resort. Groce has taken a lazy approach with our offense it’s too much 1-4 flat we get guys just standing in the corner hoping the ball comes their way. 

I agree. While I understand the rationale of running a 1-4 flat type of set or high ball screens with an experienced guard like Jackson who will typically make the correct decision, it seems like we run it a lot and everyone knows what's coming. As talented and intelligent as Jackson is, it's still harder for him to finish at the rim because of his size and when he gets in too deep and is forced to pass, it often results in a turnover. Combine that with a shooter like Trimble or Ali having an off night when they're open on a pick and pop and we really deteriorate on the offensive side of the ball. On the other hand, when it results in a pick and roll alley oop to Reece, it's a lot of fun to watch.

I'd like to see them change some things up, I think it could be helpful to show some more things within our style of offense. I know we do run other things, but we seem to be getting really stagnant and it's been that way for a while now. Like The Hip Zip, I personally like "big boy basketball played in the paint," but that doesn't really fit our personnel, my opinion doesn't matter, and Groce knows a lot more about basketball and his players' attributes than I do.

Oh, and our defense is not so good right now either. I'm not sure if anyone noticed...haha.

Hopefully we can bounce back against da Bulls.

Looking at the standings, technically Akron is in 2nd for the moment because of winning %.   And the old East teams will eat their own for two more regular season games while Toledo rolls into Cleveland to face Ball State at Noon on Thursday.  Zips could even face Kent in the first round.  It's a fresh start when tourney begins.  Wonder if the coaching staff will play around with lineups again looking forward to Cleveland.

Edited by NWAkron

Last year's team was special.  Special= rare.  That team may have had less individual talent than this squad but had a grit and team spirit that allowed it to quickly overcome any difficult times.  You could see it on the floor and on the bench.  This team clearly doesn't have that and it's getting too late to develop it. I guess it's not realistic to expect a special team every year.

42 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Last year's team was special.  Special= rare.  That team may have had less individual talent than this squad but had a grit and team spirit that allowed it to quickly overcome any difficult times.  You could see it on the floor and on the bench.  This team clearly doesn't have that and it's getting too late to develop it. I guess it's not realistic to expect a special team every year.

The biggest difference was having other players who could create their own shot, namely Tyler Cheese. Hopefully with a real off-season this year somebody will emerge for next year. Right now though only Jackson can consistently create. Our opponents know this and are quite content to just double LCJ and dare anybody else to beat them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

The biggest difference was having other players who could create their own shot, namely Tyler Cheese. Hopefully with a real off-season this year somebody will emerge for next year. Right now though only Jackson can consistently create. Our opponents know this and are quite content to just double LCJ and dare anybody else to beat them. 

Good call Hilltopper.  They also don't seem to have any alphas other than LCJ.  Last year's team had guys like Tyler, Channel and Deng who would take a guy aside and give him encouragement or stern direction, whatever was needed.  I don't see that on this squad.  They like each other and have fun together but I don't see strong leaders other than LCJ.

Every team has its slumps.  Here's hoping it's just that and they will soon come out of it.

This team does not have a player that can continually slash to the basket and beat his man other than LCJ.  Dailey, Ali, Tribble, and anyone else on the bench cannot beat their defender and get to the hoop.  Further, did anyone notice Reese on the court yesterday.  Reese has some nice inside strong moves but we need to get him the ball.  Freeman had a nice post move and scored.  When we are not hitting from the outside or LCJ cannot score, we have what happened the last 2 games.  Further, we cannot stop other teams from penetrating.  When the 2 guys who are taking the most shots, Trimble and LCJ are a combined 9 for 33, you are not going to win many games.  The only one who has continuously shot the ball well is Freeman.  Why, because he is taking high percentage shots.  Before the 3 point shot, my basketball coach always stressed that the goal of a B ball offense was to get as many layups as humanly possible.  When you drive to the hoop, 3 things can happen, you make a layup, you get fouled  or your shot gets block.  (the coach didn't believe in missing layups)  Anytime you can have a basketball play where 67% of the time you have a good outcome, that is a good play.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good call Hilltopper.  They also don't seem to have any alphas other than LCJ.  Last year's team had guys like Tyler, Channel and Deng who would take a guy aside and give him encouragement or stern direction, whatever was needed.  I don't see that on this squad.  They like each other and have fun together but I don't see strong leaders other than LCJ.

Every team has its slumps.  Here's hoping it's just that and they will soon come out of it.

I remember last year, Groce had that team at Orange Theory, yoga, maybe paint ball and had some serious bonding going on.  Ironically, LCJ is learning how important that bonding is with a new born.  Groce has a new team and all that bonding and development time was ripped away by covid.  I also think their COVID shutdown occurred at the worst time for them.   Last year and the year before Groce would talk a lot about the personalities on the team...who sucked energy and who created energy.  All that is missing this year.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

I still think Dawson should start.  He's a dog who can shoot and drive to the basket.  He's 6'5" & built like a bull.

I agree with Groce bringing Dailey off the bench.  But I just don't think Tribble should be starting over Dawson.  Tribble starting gives us a starting PG who is 5'8", and two wings, Trimble at 6'2", and Tribble at 6'1".  5'8", 6'1" and 6'2" is pretty small.  Especially considering the only offense Tribble brings to the table is driving to the basket.  Whoever is guarding Tribble knows he can sag way off him.  Anyway, the point of my post is not to bash on Tribble.  I love his hustle, athleticism, and defense.  I'm glad he's a Zip.  But I think Dawson should be the starter.

Now, if only the coaching staff would get wise & listen to me. Lol.

• Like 1

Hate to kick a program (sort of) when they've been down for 50 years but since the Falcons are likely to be our first round opponent, this made me laugh. On a discussion of BGSU's woes on a thread called If Not Now, When? the OP starts with the below. I know he meant Prohibitive (must be that BG education) but is there any more apt description of BGSU basketball?

BGSU.jpg

5 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Hate to kick a program (sort of) when they've been down for 50 years but since the Falcons are likely to be our first round opponent, this made me laugh. On a discussion of BGSU's woes on a thread called If Not Now, When? the OP starts with the below. I know he meant Prohibitive (must be that BG education) but is there any more apt description of BGSU basketball?

BGSU.jpg

Well, OU has a thread brilliantly titled  "Anyone notice BG and Akron lost last night?"  Like, how do you answer that?

On 2/27/2021 at 1:40 PM, Bigzip1 said:

Dawson can’t guard a fire hydrant. Neither can Trimble or Jackson. We have to be able to stop someone. This is the MAC not the big 12 we can get away with being small we can’t get away with playing bad basketball. 

Dawson played good defense yesterday.  He was in the lineup when they held Buffalo scoreless.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

LCJ.... Clarke

Trimble.... Tribble

Dawson... Dailey

Ali... Marshall

Freeman... Reece

I agree on this one.

It seems like a chess match with Trimble. He started out slow, so opponents didn't pay much attention to him. Then he caught on, and opponents adjusted per the game tape. Now he's less effective. What will he, or the Zips staff now do to counteract the adjustments and get him space to shoot? Will he need to start attacking the rim? Can he attack the rim? 

Has waiting for Dailey to "click" hurt the development of Dawson and Tribble? We're 85% of the way through the season, and Dailey is-who-he-is. A reliable 8th man. I'm bullish on Dawson. In hindsight (always 20/20) I wish he'd have gotten Dailey's minutes earlier this year. I think we'd be a better team right now. As Coach Gump ones said though - "Transfers are like a box of chocolates...you never know what your gonna get."

I think Ali just needs to see a couple shots go through the hoop and he'll be back. His 20 point game was a first, and I think he's been pressing since. His next step is becoming consistent. 

• Like 1

I'd be hesitant to make any changes this late in the season with the MAC tournament quickly approaching.  I would however look for more substantial minutes for Dawson and Wynn who have more dimensions to their games than some of the other reserves.  Also, as some have suggested, Trimble needs to look to do something other than be a spot up shooter.

31 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd be hesitant to make any changes this late in the season with the MAC tournament quickly approaching.  I would however look for more substantial minutes for Dawson and Wynn who have more dimensions to their games than some of the other reserves.  Also, as some have suggested, Trimble needs to look to do something other than be a spot up shooter.

In my lineup I forgot Wynn. Oops. Yeah, I’d put him in Marshall’s spot.