Marshall - first home game March 2nd

This win will definitely help the zips in the RPI when tournament time comes.

The national soccer coaches group released their fist rankings today

The zips did not get much love from the United soccer coaches group

Kentucky was #7

Marshall was #12

Looks like the zips were #31.....with 15 points or votes

next opponent...BGSU...got 7 points or votes

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-di-men/

• Like 1

https://gozips.com/news/2021/3/2/mens-soccer-shokalooks-golden-goal-lifts-no-7-akron-over-no-9-marshall-2-1.aspx

"It was a hard-fought game, and we broke through," Akron head coach Jared Embick commented. "We were not great in the first half and then when the red card came it changed how the game was going to be played. It was then about whether or not we were going to break down numbers and stay focused on the counter, and sometimes it takes a while, they have a good team, they battled, and we just had to find a way and we did. It is a good feeling for everyone and great win at the end of the day. We were getting frustrated and you could see that at times, and I think that it was important to find some quality and keep sticking with it and just find a play to win a game, that will move this team forward."

11 hours ago, MDZip said:

I think the broadcast had a little trouble. If you look up in the corner right after the goal you see them change the score to a Marshall win. 🤣

someone on twitter pointed that out....

I really like Chad Welker...seems like a great guy...when he interviews Coach Embick....

Chad owned up to the mistake...and admits that he was filling in for the graphics guy  

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

someone on twitter pointed that out....

I really like Chad Welker...seems like a great guy...when he interviews Coach Embick....

Chad owned up to the mistake...and admits that he was filling in for the graphics guy  

Completely forgivable - Chad seems like a guy who loves Akron sports - it was just funny 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had read the Beacon article...the night ...that the game was played.

they did not have any quotes from Jared...

now, they have quotes...so I will post

Brad Bournival...does good work on the articles

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2021/03/02/university-akron-soccer-team-defeats-marshall-2-1-overtime/6888513002/

“It was such an exciting feeling,” Shokalook, an Erie, Pennsylvania, product said. “I can’t even describe the emotions right now. I’m really happy for the team. To get our first win at home, I’m very happy for everyone on the Zips team.”

“Normally, when we play these games it’s 7 p.m.,” UA coach Jared Embick said. “We’re just happy to be playing whether it’s 4 or 5. We’re getting a chance to compete and develop the players. We haven’t been able to do that in a long time. I think you’re going to see growing pains with it, but it’s great to be playing again.”

“For us, this means everything,” Pacheco said. “It’s what we want to do. Sometimes, it won’t be pretty but at the end of the day if we win that’s all that matters. That’s what happened today.”

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:28 PM, MDZip said:

I think the broadcast had a little trouble. If you look up in the corner right after the goal you see them change the score to a Marshall win. 🤣

They've got the score bug backwards, maybe that's why. For soccer it's normally home team first (which itself is backwards from every other sport).