Class of '22 Verbal Commits

2 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

Decent offer list for this kid out of HS.  The defensive backfield desperately  needs help, hopefully he can be an anchor for the next 3 years.  Must say, I'm pretty impressed with the use of the portal by the new coaching staff thus far.  

image.png.0d5e7d84602528577bc9f3201efa5f07.png

What? We ain’t done squat yet. One and your impressed. C’mon man.!

I just saw that Van Shyka, from Stow HS, is now going to YSU.  

"The lineman formerly known as Van Shyjka changed his last name to Keen on his 18th birthday in honor of his stepfather. Keen originally committed to play at the University of Akron, but had his scholarship offer pulled when the Zips coaching staff changed.

"Once the things happened with Akron, I figured I'd go with YSU there was a relationship I had with them since my sophomore year," Keen said. "There were the first programs to show interest in me."

Seems like a nice kid, was never sure he was D1 though.

13 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

+1.  That's a great story and I wish him the best.  But it was his teammate, Mason Mennell that I was crossing my fingers for.  Mason signed with... KSUcks 🙃

So glad Arth is out of here.

@zippy-claws, just an FYI, make sure you check the initial post in this thread (at the top of Page 1), as I try to keep it current with each new verbal commit (including where they went to high school or what college they're transferring from).

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

I just saw that Van Shyka, from Stow HS, is now going to YSU.  

"The lineman formerly known as Van Shyjka changed his last name to Keen on his 18th birthday in honor of his stepfather. Keen originally committed to play at the University of Akron, but had his scholarship offer pulled when the Zips coaching staff changed.

"Once the things happened with Akron, I figured I'd go with YSU there was a relationship I had with them since my sophomore year," Keen said. "There were the first programs to show interest in me."

They took back his scholarship after they let go of Coach Z.  It worked out for him as he had time to land something.  

6 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

They took back his scholarship after they let go of Coach Z.  It worked out for him as he had time to land something.  

Any other insight on what happened there? Seems odd to let him go during summer camp/season (whatever it was) and leave the staff scrambling.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Any other insight on what happened there? Seems odd to let him go during summer camp/season (whatever it was) and leave the staff scrambling.

The offensive line was performing so poorly in camp that he was quizzed on different blocking schemes and techniques and then failed miserably. He swapped places with Morookian to become the TE coach while Morookian took over the OL about mid way through fall camp. He was so hurt by this that he stormed out of the building and quit. Always seemed like a good guy, but just wasn't cut out to coach at this level quite yet.

12 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

The offensive line was performing so poorly in camp that he was quizzed on different blocking schemes and techniques and then failed miserably. He swapped places with Morookian to become the TE coach while Morookian took over the OL about mid way through fall camp. He was so hurt by this that he stormed out of the building and quit. Always seemed like a good guy, but just wasn't cut out to coach at this level quite yet.

Thats one big yikes all around. Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Which begs the question- what in the hell was he doing here in the first place?

On 12/20/2021 at 11:25 AM, Blue & Gold said:

^^Perusing twitter (FWIW) some WVU fans thought he was a "distraction," and are not upset with his departure.  If there's any truth to that, hopefully he matures.  Anyway, we needed help at DB.

Some Oregon fans on Twitter thought JoeMo sucked. It's nice to see Twitter still allows opinion in some areas, no matter how stupid the opinion may seem. Some of JoeMo's transfer commits so far have backgrounds that included All-America/Conference Academic awards. He seems to be targeting talent, intelligence, and good natured kids. I read an article about his situation, which included some questioning what was going on with the program as a whole, as there was additional upper-echelon talent was not seeing the field. I'd be shocked if the "distraction" label is as true as some WVU fans claim.

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Arth should have removed him from the staff after the second season of horrendous O line play. I understand that they were friends from a long way back, but a leader has to separate friendship from performance. I'm so glad Guthrie cleaned house.

49 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Arth should have removed him from the staff after the second season of horrendous O line play. I understand that they were friends from a long way back, but a leader has to separate friendship from performance. I'm so glad Guthrie cleaned house.

Well said. One of my biggest knocks on Arth was his inability to put together a legitimate D1 coaching staff. Perhaps he lacked the connections to do it, but it's like he brought his entire UTC/JC staff and that was it. Except for Gasser, I think he just wanted to come back to the area after Iowa State let him go.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I just noticed that Will Dixon is still listed as an Akron commit on 247sports.

Do you suppose that is correct?

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Season/2022-Football/Commits/

Good catch!  After doing a little sleuthing, I hear he says he's "still committed."  So apparently his scholarship offer has not been pulled & he'll still be a Zip!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Good catch!  After doing a little sleuthing, I hear he says he's "still committed."  So apparently his scholarship offer has not been pulled & he'll still be a Zip!

Looking at his Twitter he doesn’t have anything stating he is committed to Akron, he did receive an offer from UConn earlier this month 

11 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I don't know why he was OC if he could not even handle the OL.

On 12/22/2021 at 8:57 AM, Blue & Gold said:

@zippy-claws, just an FYI, make sure you check the initial post in this thread (at the top of Page 1), as I try to keep it current with each new verbal commit (including where they went to high school or what college they're transferring from).

Thank you very much for the new summary page of commits on page 1.  As I wait for the clatter of hoofprints of Santa's arrival, I would like to respectfully ask for some additional information.  Since this year's recruits are going to include many transfers, can you include the remaining years that they can play for the Zips or their current class status.  I would greatly appreciate it.  I would like to know if they have 1, 2, or 3 years remaining in Akron.  

Merry Zipmas!!    and to all a good night!