Class of '22 Verbal Commits

Shocky's offer list coming out of HS

Pitt, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Tennessee, Appalachian State, BUGS, CMU, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, UConn, FIU, Georgia, Indiana, Louisville, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Oregon, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, UCF, USF, and Virginia 🤯

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Shocky's offer list coming out of HS

Pitt, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Tennessee, Appalachian State, BUGS, CMU, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, UConn, FIU, Georgia, Indiana, Louisville, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Oregon, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, UCF, USF, and Virginia 🤯

Had 83 catches for 1010 yards and 34 carries for 190 yards in his 4 years at Pitt. Should be a decent playmaker in the MAC.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Had 83 catches for 1010 yards and 34 carries for 190 yards in his 4 years at Pitt. Should be a decent playmaker in the MAC.

I watched Shocky a lot over the past few years. He was a big recruit but never really seemed to improve in his tenure. He's still pretty good, has speed, a little size. I think he'll be good in the MAC, I think he'll thrive with slightly worse competition and being the top dog. He was behind some really good guys there (Addison won the Biletnikoff) so he never really was getting tons of targets.

• Like 1

Per @Blue & Gold' list on the first page, we currently have:

QB: 1 Jennings (HS)

RB: 2 Wiley (T), Kellom (HS)

WR: 1 Jacquez-Louis (T)

TE: 1 Banks (T)

OL: 1 Banes (T)

DL: 3 Robinson (T), Harper (T), Jones (T)

LB: 1 Terry (T)

DB: 2 Threatt (T), Martin (T)

Note I removed Dixon and Leopold. Their twitters or 247 may show as committed, but I don't see it happening based on the other recruits no longer having offers. How many more transfers do we think we get/need? I'd thinks something like 1 upperclassman QB, 1-2 OL, 1 WR, maybe 1 LB and 1 DB? With all of that, we're at 18 scholarships. Leaves room for up to 14 additional freshman. Something like 2 WR, 2 OL, 2 DL, 2 LB, 3DB is only 11. The new rules along with where the roster currently really gives the staff a chance to significantly improve this roster in one offseason, even with them getting started late. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Note I removed Dixon and Leopold. Their twitters or 247 may show as committed, but I don't see it happening based on the other recruits no longer having offers. How many more transfers do we think we get/need? I'd thinks something like 1 upperclassman QB, 1-2 OL, 1 WR, maybe 1 LB and 1 DB? With all of that, we're at 18 scholarships. Leaves room for up to 14 additional freshman. Something like 2 WR, 2 OL, 2 DL, 2 LB, 3DB is only 11. The new rules along with where the roster currently really gives the staff a chance to significantly improve this roster in one offseason, even with them getting started late. 

LZlp, I have never knowingly met you, but at this time, I am so upset at you (in a good way).  You just posted the note that I was working on and getting details.  I cannot believe you beat me to the punch! 😀 Here are my brief thoughts.  I will provide much more detail in the future after late signing day.  My thoughts on needs for the remainder of the recruiting season are as follows:

QB - 1 upperclassmen is needed as a transfer with the loss of Gibson, 1 recruit in Jennings, my guy is still Jankowski.  I am not sold on Irons.

RB - Norrills, Williams, both Freshman last year, I thought both backs showed promise and Norrills had some great moments this past season.  Wiley adds some depth, and we get a first team D1 running back in Kellom.  Watch his tape, he is fantastic

OL- I agree, let's get one more transfer and 2 freshmen recruits.  The young line this year of all freshmen was not good, but there is a lot of talent.  One more transfer in addition to Banes gives depth, competition, and more time for the youngsters to develop.  

TE - with Brank and Ognenovic, we were good.  Adding Banks allows Akron to run 12 or 13 packages with good talent.  The coaches need to figure out how to utilize this talent.  

WR - I think we need one more transfer and 2 freshmen.  I think the M's are gone, but I would like to get Qualls back with the listed newbies.  

DL - The biggest weakness of the team in 2021 and over the last few years has been the Defensive Line.  Adding Robinson, Harper, and Jones should be fantastic.  Rotate them with Fann, Hawkins, Proffitt, Sy, Wade, and Wilson, and we have depth and talent.  Please get 2 freshmen for future growth.

LB - If Bubba returns, we should be very good with him, Boateng, Behr, and Bischoff.  Add in Terry, and 2022 should be fine.  Need 2 freshman recruits

DB - This position has been a weakness, but we have been playing youth.  Add Threatt and Martin, and Akron should be competitive.  Add 2 freshman.  

Punter - Slike, Kicker - Smigel 

Akron is close to being competitive in the MAC.  I will be happy when we are competitive and winning in the MAC and can compete and win against P5 schools.  Go Zips!

LZlp - Love your posts and dedication.  We need to meet in Lot 9 this year during the season.  I throw great tail gate parties.  

In Joe We Trust!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

LZlp, I have never knowingly met you, but at this time, I am so upset at you (in a good way).  You just posted the note that I was working on and getting details.  I cannot believe you beat me to the punch! 😀 Here are my brief thoughts.  I will provide much more detail in the future after late signing day.  My thoughts on needs for the remainder of the recruiting season are as follows:

QB - 1 upperclassmen is needed as a transfer with the loss of Gibson, 1 recruit in Jennings, my guy is still Jankowski.  I am not sold on Irons.

RB - Norrills, Williams, both Freshman last year, I thought both backs showed promise and Norrills had some great moments this past season.  Wiley adds some depth, and we get a first team D1 running back in Kellom.  Watch his tape, he is fantastic

OL- I agree, let's get one more transfer and 2 freshmen recruits.  The young line this year of all freshmen was not good, but there is a lot of talent.  One more transfer in addition to Banes gives depth, competition, and more time for the youngsters to develop.  

TE - with Brank and Ognenovic, we were good.  Adding Banks allows Akron to run 12 or 13 packages with good talent.  The coaches need to figure out how to utilize this talent.  

WR - I think we need one more transfer and 2 freshmen.  I think the M's are gone, but I would like to get Qualls back with the listed newbies.  

DL - The biggest weakness of the team in 2021 and over the last few years has been the Defensive Line.  Adding Robinson, Harper, and Jones should be fantastic.  Rotate them with Fann, Hawkins, Proffitt, Sy, Wade, and Wilson, and we have depth and talent.  Please get 2 freshmen for future growth.

LB - If Bubba returns, we should be very good with him, Boateng, Behr, and Bischoff.  Add in Terry, and 2022 should be fine.  Need 2 freshman recruits

DB - This position has been a weakness, but we have been playing youth.  Add Threatt and Martin, and Akron should be competitive.  Add 2 freshman.  

Punter - Slike, Kicker - Smigel 

Akron is close to being competitive in the MAC.  I will be happy when we are competitive and winning in the MAC and can compete and win against P5 schools.  Go Zips!

LZlp - Love your posts and dedication.  We need to meet in Lot 9 this year during the season.  I throw great tail gate parties.  

In Joe We Trust!!!

Qualls has already committed, I posted it awhile back, don’t remember team but it was an FCS team

12 hours ago, LZIp said:

Probably no more than 10 freshman total. Expect JoMo to hit the transfer portal hard again after NLI day when more players jump in after seeing the possibility of loosing PT to talented newcomers at their current school.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigjim said:

I'd really like to keep Mathison. I swear I recall seeing him getting offers from umASS, GA Southern, and Hawaii, but those are now deleted from his twitter, so that gave me a little hope something might have changed. However, none of the new staff are even following him so it seems like he's gone for good.

A wildcard is Andre Williams who has been around forever. He was a nice contributor when Bowden was here and can hopefully return to form if he comes back for a super senior season. I still like the potential of the 3 other freshman brought in last year (Gathings, Singleton, and Walker). As long as I don't have to see us being forced to put freshman walk-ons out there after an injury or two...

17 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Max Banes, OL, 6-5, 310, University of Houston transfer with, I believe, 2 years of eligibility remaining.  Coming out of HS he was ranked the #79 OT in the nation by ESPN.

I tried to find more information on this young man. Looks like he was highly recruited but Im thinking a little overhyped as It doesn’t look like he lived up to his billing. Was he injured? Or just did’t fit the system.?Big young man none the less. Lets hope we thrives in our system. We gotta have some good O line play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a-zip said:

Charlie Batch offering $1M to get Caleb Williams to EMU

THIS WILL GET OUT OF CONTROL REAL QUICK!

If he goes for it, my bet is that he will opt out of any bowl game EMU plays in. Which brings up another disturbing trend in college football. My Mrs. who is a caring sensitive women told me she thinks opting out of bowl games is a direct way for the opting out player to say fuxk you to his team mates. I actually cleaned up her comment for this post.

10 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

If he goes for it, my bet is that he will opt out of any bowl game EMU plays in. Which brings up another disturbing trend in college football. My Mrs. who is a caring sensitive women told me she thinks opting out of bowl games is a direct way for the opting out player to say fuxk you to his team mates. I actually cleaned up her comment for this post.

20 year old kids mitigating risk in order to best preserve millions of dollars in life changing money is not a disturbing trend. What are 994 (really 998) out of the 1000 bowl games about in the first place? Money. 

Good for Charlie Batch for supporting his alumni. I have zero problems with this. It's been going on for YEARS at the P5 level. Maybe not $1 million directly/so openly, but these kids received all sorts of lifestyle benefits that would equal out to huge sums of money. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

11 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I honestly despise this talking point. Why on Earth would you play in a meaningless football game, where you could accept all the risk for no possible gain? What incentive is there for a Player? I'm pretty sure 100% of your teammates would not care, when you're considering your own financial future. It's more PT to them.  The teammates aren't really affected negatively, it's the fans who are.

This is Capitalism 101. Don't take on lots of potential opportunity cost, for little to no opportunity gain.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

20 year old kids mitigating risk in order to best preserve millions of dollars in life changing money is not a disturbing trend. What are 994 (really 998) out of the 1000 bowl games about in the first place? Money. 

Good for Charlie Batch for supporting his alumni. I have zero problems with this. It's been going on for YEARS at the P5 level. Maybe not $1 million directly/so openly, but these kids received all sorts of lifestyle benefits that would equal out to huge sums of money. 

A less selfish person could protect their future financial position by obtaining an insurance policy instead of bailing out on their teammates.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 1