Class of '22 Verbal Commits

2 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I have been saying the same for weeks, let's get another OL transfer to compliment Banes.  We do have some good young offensive lineman that have some experience.  If we add the freshman listed here and add another transfer, we will be in good shape on the OL in 22 and going forward. 

Now, we need a transfer QB.  I do not believe Irons is the man.  Then, a couple of frosh LB's and two additional frosh DL men and give them a year to get acclimated to FBS, and we will be in good shape going forward.  Looking forward to rebuttals.

In Joe We Trust!!! 

Great post.  I'll give one rebuttal.  I think D.J. Irons could be a great QB in a read option system.  Arth only used DJ to run QB draw plays, but I think most of DJ's yardage on the ground came from running for his life when passing plays broke down.  Who knows, but I think he could really keep the D on it's toes in a read option system.

You mentioned OL transfer Bane. I had forgotten about him.  Yeah, so I guess I'd like to see one more OL transfer.  Tough assignment to contribute in the trenches as a true freshman.

36 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think D.J. Irons could be a great QB in a read option system.  Arth only used DJ to run QB draw plays, but I think most of DJ's yardage on the ground came from running for his life when passing plays broke down.  Who knows, but I think he could really keep the D on it's toes in a read option system.

Like most fans, I saw a lot of potential in Irons. Great size, speed, arm strength and accuracy. Ball security was his kryptonite, and you'd like to think Joe will address that. That said, I'd be shocked if we went into next season with only the three incumbent QB's. There HAS to be a P5, 5th year QB transfer waiting in the Signing Day wings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Well there is possibly one of three. Is it feeling to anyone else like the early days of Caleb Porter when he was bringing in people you couldn't believe were really coming to Akron? And the more good players he brought in the more good players wanted to come? Of course the soccer team was in much better shape then. But this has the same feel to me. 

5 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Well there is possibly one of three. Is it feeling to anyone else like the early days of Caleb Porter when he was bringing in people you couldn't believe were really coming to Akron? And the more good players he brought in the more good players wanted to come? Of course the soccer team was in much better shape then. But this has the same feel to me. 

Based on the number of times I'm seeing the name Joel Rodriguez show up on 247, I'm thinking he must be spending about 28 hours a day recruiting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Recruiting is definitely looking to be stepped up a few notches from the prior regime. I expect it to improve as results on the field improve as well. A nice snowball effect on our way to becoming a respectable/upper G5 program we can hope :D

13 hours ago, LZIp said:

Looks like it. Wow. I believe all 3 of these guys have nice offer lists. I can’t think of a single OL in the Arth era that had another FBS offer period! These guys are exciting, but kind of stinks we likely won’t benefit from them til a few years down the road. I like one more transfer to compliment the OL and address the “now”.

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Because our incumbent OL is so dominant?

Because they are high schoolers that need to slim down/beef up and mature.  Rarely will a freshman OL come in and play significant minutes.  Our current line now has a few years of experience which is when a typical OL player would get significant playing time.  Throw these new guys in now and you will see no improvement and likely a decline in play.  I anticipate we get maybe one or two OL transfers to sure up our current OL.  That with the change in scheme and the addition of beefy TE's will have an immediate impact. 

Edited by Zippyroo

4 hours ago, bigjim said:

I have been saying the same for weeks, let's get another OL transfer to compliment Banes.  We do have some good young offensive lineman that have some experience.  If we add the freshman listed here and add another transfer, we will be in good shape on the OL in 22 and going forward. 

Now, we need a transfer QB.  I do not believe Irons is the man.  Then, a couple of frosh LB's and two additional frosh DL men and give them a year to get acclimated to FBS, and we will be in good shape going forward.  Looking forward to rebuttals.

In Joe We Trust!!! 

Wow.  I totally agree with you bigjim!  Exactly what I was thinking. 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:50 PM, Blue & Gold said:

If this means we got a verbal from a 4-star prospect I don't believe we've ever done that before. MAC doesn't get many (any?) of those straight out of high school.

Toledo has had 4 stars sign in the past.  Nick Rossi was a 4 star LB that we signed because we were going to give him a chance at RB. After he signed the recruiting sites changed his star rating to 2. 

Edited by Section210Zip
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

Toledo has had 4 stars sign in the past.  Nick Rossi was a 4 star LB that we signed because we were going to give him a chance at RB. After he signed the recruiting sites changed his star rating to 2. 

I was going to make this joke ignorantly...

"What dumbass coaching regime was this and what was Ianello thinking?"

Then I looked up Nick Rossi and realized he was indeed recruited by and played his freshman year under Ianello.

55 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Arth OL recruit Tyler Leopold (who was, I'm assuming, politely informed by the new staff that they would be going in a different direction) verballed to the University of Indianapolis.  Good luck, Tyler!

When I read these things, I realize that a lot of the kids that Arth brought in were good kids, smart kids, but not often D1-talented kids.  Wish them all the best, but we need talent and character.  

5 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Partial agreement here. MAC schedule can't come soon enough. Getting through 3 payday games is still likely to be painful.

I could have sworn we had 3 payday games coming up, but I just looked at the official schedule and only see Tennessee and Michigan State. Was I imagining the third?

Just now, Zipmeister said:

I could have sworn we had 3 payday games coming up, but I just looked at the official schedule and only see Tennessee and Michigan State. Was I imagining the third?

A few ppl on here have been calling the Liberty game a payday game. Someone posted we’re getting 1 million from them. IIRC. Idk if that’s accurate.

23 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

A few ppl on here have been calling the Liberty game a payday game. Someone posted we’re getting 1 million from them. IIRC. Idk if that’s accurate.

I believe the money is accurate. But to call it a "money game" in the same light that Ohio State, Auburn, Michigan State or Tennessee is a money game is a bit of a stretch. They lost to Terry Bowden's 4-win ULM team last year. I'd expect us to be very competitive.

26 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I believe the money is accurate. But to call it a "money game" in the same light that Ohio State, Auburn, Michigan State or Tennessee is a money game is a bit of a stretch. They lost to Terry Bowden's 4-win ULM team last year. I'd expect us to be very competitive.

Plus they lose some key players