Class of '22 Verbal Commits

13 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Just watched his HUDL tape, and it did not appear to be very impressive.  Also, per 247, I did not see any other offers.  Looking for opposition.  JoeMo has been recruiting highly sought after athletes, look like this person is not.  Please share how my research is wrong.  I want only the best.

In Joe We Trust!!!

6AF6C454-37BB-462E-B946-63BB08854FC5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

6AF6C454-37BB-462E-B946-63BB08854FC5.jpeg

Thank you.  I was so wrong.  When I looked at 247, I saw he was committed to Akron and had no interest in the other schools.  After seeing your correction, I drilled down and saw all of the offers like you posted.  Now I am convinced we got 3 stud freshman offensive linemen.  Thanks again for the update and correction.  I am so looking forward to the late signing day.

In Joe We Trust!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

I really want to agree with you, but it usually takes some time for freshmen OL to develop and mature and be ready to play FBS football.  That is why I have said in past posts that I would like to see one more OL transfer (in addition to a seasoned QB) to team with Banes and the current R-Fr and Fr (now Sophomores in 22) offensive line.  Add in these highly rated commits, and the OL should be solid for years. 

In Joe We Trust!!! 

I agree. I researched Banes and he was very hyped up out of High School and didn’t pan out at Houston. Have to see what happens. All I know is the key to success is OL/DL.

• Like 1

Per 247, here is a list of the incoming players...

HS Commits

QB

- Dijon Jennings (6' 220 lbs; N/A)

RB

- Charles Kellom (6' 188 lbs; N/A)

WR

- Bobby Golden (5'9" 180 lbs; 3*)

TE

OL

- Ka'Marii Landers (6'5" 300 lbs OT; 3*)

- Keylen Davis (6'4" 270 lbs OG/OT; 3*)

- Tyhler Williams (6'4" 300 lbs OG; N/A)

DL

LB

DB

Transfers

QB

RB

- Cameron Wiley (6'2" 210 lbs; 3*; Minnesota)

WR

- Alex Adams (6'1" 175 lbs; 3*; LSU)

- Shocky Jacques-Louis (6'1" 175 lbs; 3*; Pitt)

TE

OL

- Max Banes (6'5" 307 lbs; 3*; Houston)

DL

- Devon Robinson (6'6" 260 lbs; 3*; Memphis)

LB

DB

- Kerry Martin (6'2" 188 lbs; 3*; WVU)

Signing day is Wednesday. We have some mystery verbals out there, potentially including a 4*. I think there are some guys missing from this list, too. Can someone fill in any missing names?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Per 247, here is a list of the incoming players...

HS Commits

QB

- Dijon Jennings (6' 220 lbs; N/A)

RB

- Charles Kellom (6' 188 lbs; N/A)

WR

- Bobby Golden (5'9" 180 lbs; 3*)

TE

OL

- Ka'Marii Landers (6'5" 300 lbs OT; 3*)

- Keylen Davis (6'4" 270 lbs OG/OT; 3*)

- Tyhler Williams (6'4" 300 lbs OG; N/A)

DL

LB

DB

Transfers

QB

RB

- Cameron Wiley (6'2" 210 lbs; 3*; Minnesota)

WR

- Alex Adams (6'1" 175 lbs; 3*; LSU)

- Shocky Jacques-Louis (6'1" 175 lbs; 3*; Pitt)

TE

OL

- Max Banes (6'5" 307 lbs; 3*; Houston)

DL

- Devon Robinson (6'6" 260 lbs; 3*; Memphis)

LB

DB

- Kerry Martin (6'2" 188 lbs; 3*; WVU)

Signing day is Wednesday. We have some mystery verbals out there, potentially including a 4*. I think there are some guys missing from this list, too. Can someone fill in any missing names?

Thanks, @Let'sGoZips94.  They're missing Bone @ WR, but he may be a walk-on. 

Just so you know, I've been updating Post #1 on page #1 of this thread for continued reference.  Sometimes I'm a day behind but I try to keep it current.  

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Thanks, @Let'sGoZips94.  They're missing Bone @ WR, but he may be a walk-on. 

Just so you know, I've been updating Post #1 on page #1 of this thread for continued reference.  Sometimes I'm a day behind but I try to keep it current.  

Oof. Did not know that. Should have known you're on top of it! Based on your list, there are quite a few missing - P, DE, DL, DB. 

• Like 1

That final experienced OL we want just may have entered the portal and is local. Kevin Toth out of Hudson spent last year at Rutgers and is now looking for a new home. Perhaps a little less experience than preferred as he'll be a Redshirt Freshman, but I think his talent + a year in the B1G would allow him to come in here and contribute right away.

Joel Rodriguez (OL) and Blake Kucinski (Recruiting Assistant) are already following him on twitter, so the wheels will at least be kicked. This staff so far just seems to get it.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Toth-Jr-46100137/

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

That final experienced OL we want just may have entered the portal and is local. Kevin Toth out of Hudson spent last year at Rutgers and is now looking for a new home. Perhaps a little less experience than preferred as he'll be a Redshirt Freshman, but I think his talent + a year in the B1G would allow him to come in here and contribute right away.

Joel Rodriguez (OL) and Blake Kucinski (Recruiting Assistant) are already following him on twitter, so the wheels will at least be kicked. This staff so far just seems to get it.

Yes please. Half the struggle for OL/DL from high school to college is the weight room difference. They're barely out of boyhood going against grown ass men. A full year in a Big Ten weight room helps narrow that gap a lot. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

That's the reason to establish a relationship with all of the top local kids, even those they know they can't get.  That way, you plant the seed in their heads for when their first stop doesn't work out and "coming home" becomes an option.   Sometimes, that pays dividends like a Se'Von Pittman.  

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That's the reason to establish a relationship with all of the top local kids, even those they know they can't get.  That way, you plant the seed in their heads for when their first stop doesn't work out and "coming home" becomes an option.   Sometimes, that pays dividends like a Se'Von Pittman.  

I just visited 247 and they have all our commits and transfers listed except one. The last time I remember them paying that much attention to the Zips was never.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I just visited 247 and they have all our commits and transfers listed except one. The last time I remember them paying that much attention to the Zips was never.

This is what happens when you get decent players that are actually on their website 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, LZIp said:

With all due respect (and I love your posts), I must disagree with you on this topic.  I did some research, and he (Toth) did not see any game action at Rutgers this past season so he does not have any experience.  I believe that we have several good offensive linemen currently on the roster.  They were just too young having 5 freshmen on the line, but a couple of them will be coming into their own with a good OL coach (JRod) this coming season.  And, we have an experienced transfer (Bane) and 3 very good commits.  We need another experienced offensive lineman transfer, not another freshman if we want to compete in 2022 and be very good in 2023.  It looks like Rutgers was his only P5 offer.  I would like another transfer with experience and a better pedigree; the portal is full of possibilities.  This will allow all of the young players to develop over the next year, have a good offensive line in 2022, and help the young players grow into a formidable offensive line for years to come.

In Joe We Trust!!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I do not know how it works, but I would like to understand the process to get posted on the recruiting websites.  I remember an interview with Coach Bowden a couple of years ago who said that the University communicates to 247,/Rivals/Scout for recruiting information, and he did not make those communications.  So, if anyone understand the process and how it works, please communicate.  As always, I do not like speculation.  

Go Zips!!!!

On 1/6/2022 at 7:20 PM, Z.I.P. said:

A couple of years ago, I was very happy we signed Norrils.   He was a 1st team all state RB from a smaller school at Toledo Central Caholic.  I was correct in my assessment because he showed promise as a R-Fr in several games.  Then, I was content to get Williams as a transfer even though he did not have much success last season. 

Now, we have a commit in Charles Kellom from St. X out of Cincinnati.  I went back and watched his films, and this guy is a stud.  He was first team D1 all state.  St. X played a very challenging schedule, so the competition was very good.  He ran for over 1400 yards in his senior season.  But the key stat that I saw was that he did not play in the second half of 7 of his senior year games because of blowouts.  Doing some simple extrapolation, if he played full games, he would have had over 1800 yards of rushing which is a phenomenal amount.  Pulling all of this together, I think that Coach has secured a franchise running back for Akron.  Let's get him signed and on the field ready to play.  My guess is that he will see time later his freshman season and be an all MAC player by time he is a junior.

In Joe We Trust!!!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

A couple of years ago, I was very happy we signed Norrils.   He was a 1st team all state RB from a smaller school at Toledo Central Caholic.  I was correct in my assessment because he showed promise as a R-Fr in several games.  Then, I was content to get Williams as a transfer even though he did not have much success last season. 

Now, we have a commit in Charles Kellom from St. X out of Cincinnati.  I went back and watched his films, and this guy is a stud.  He was first team D1 all state.  St. X played a very challenging schedule, so the competition was very good.  He ran for over 1400 yards in his senior season.  But the key stat that I saw was that he did not play in the second half of 7 of his senior year games because of blowouts.  Doing some simple extrapolation, if he played full games, he would have had over 1800 yards of rushing which is a phenomenal amount.  Pulling all of this together, I think that Coach has secured a franchise running back for Akron.  Let's get him signed and on the field ready to play.  My guess is that he will see time later his freshman season and be an all MAC player by time he is a junior.

In Joe We Trust!!!

Sounds good; first team state D1 is impressive, but I'm not sure how a high school schedule that includes 7 blowouts can be classified as very challenging.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Sounds good; first team state D1 is impressive, but I'm not sure how a high school schedule that includes 7 blowouts can be classified as very challenging.

Please look at the teams they played on their schedule.  Also, it looks like they played 10 teams that made the playoffs.  

Go Zips!!!

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Please look at the teams they played on their schedule.  Also, it looks like they played 10 teams that made the playoffs.  

Go Zips!!!

Actually they played 11 teams that made the playoffs including the 3 that they met in the playoffs.

They swept the other 7 teams in their conference during the regular season; all but 1 of which (Clay) also qualified for the playoffs. Oddly, 3 of the qualifiers: St Johns, Lima Senior and St Francis De Sales  did so with losing records!

I'm willing to concede they played a challenging schedule if you can live without the "very" in front of it.

2 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Actually they played 11 teams that made the playoffs including the 3 that they met in the playoffs.

They swept the other 7 teams in their conference during the regular season; all but 1 of which (Clay) also qualified for the playoffs. Oddly, 3 of the qualifiers: St Johns, Lima Senior and St Francis De Sales  did so with losing records!

I'm willing to concede they played a challenging schedule if you can live without the "very" in front of it.

My bottom line is that I think we got a steal at RB who will be "very" good for the Zips.

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I believe you are correct (even though he did play his 2021  year against a slightly less than very challenging schedule).

I take back my argument about the quality of their schedule. I found a way to fairly quickly evaluate schedule strength. Unfortunately, if I plug in the wrong team to start(which I did)  it doesn't provide very  good results. I got to thinking none of these teams are from SW Ohio. Duh.

So now, with foot in mouth, I agree St X played a very competitive schedule in 2021, and more importantly I still agree that Charles should do well as a Zip.

What a beautiful example of playing together nicely in the same ZNO sandbox. Zipmeister got his "very" removed and BigJim got to use it on our stellar recruit Charles Kellom. An inspiring moment that is sure to bring a tear to any poster's eye. I need a tissue😥.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I take back my argument about the quality of their schedule. I found a way to fairly quickly evaluate schedule strength. Unfortunately, if I plug in the wrong team to start(which I did)  it doesn't provide very  good results. I got to thinking none of these teams are from SW Ohio. Duh.

So now, with foot in mouth, I agree St X played a very competitive schedule in 2021, and more importantly I still agree that Charles should do well as a Zip.

I typed up a detailed dissertation on how the top parochial schools in Ohio play a very tough schedule, but I decided to delete it so as not to continue a pi##### contest.  I do not care if the word 'very' is used or not.  My point is: I believe we got a stud running back and I am pumped.  Bowden and Arth could not have pulled it off.  I am going to look at a couple of the other freshman commits.  

In Joe We Trust!!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigjim said:

I typed up a detailed dissertation on how the top parochial schools in Ohio play a very tough schedule, but I decided to delete it so as not to continue a pi##### contest.  I do not care if the word 'very' is used or not.  My point is: I believe we got a stud running back and I am pumped.  Bowden and Arth could not have pulled it off.  I am going to look at a couple of the other freshman commits.  

In Joe We Trust!!!

I'm wondering now how Charles was still available by the time he committed to the Zips. And only 2 offers: Zips and Eastern Kentucky. It's a puzzlement.

Edited by Zipmeister