Game 22- Miami

The Zips wrap up the regular season Friday night at 7 at the JAR Friday night with Senior Night against Miami.

Miami comes in at 12/10/9-8.  The Zips and Redhawks faced off in Oxford on February 12th with the Zips winning 83-76.  The only person smaller than LCJ in the MAC, Mekhi Lairy, led Miami with 24 in the loss. Dae Dae Grant leads the guard heavy Miami attack at 13.5 ppg.  Delonte Brown leads the team in rebounding at 7.2 rpg while scoring 12.5 ppg.   They are fresh off of an OT win over BG.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- “The Miami University at University of Akron and Ohio University at Bowling Green State University men's basketball games on Friday, March 5 have been canceled due to COVID-19 concerns. The games will not be rescheduled.”

Sounds like someone at BG tested positive. That means we are all contacts in quarantine and OU can not play because the BG team are all contacts. No Cleveland for us or BG if that is correct.

Lets see, game was Tuesday, 10 days with no symptoms = Friday. So maybe they can tweak the schedule to get everyone in.

27 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Sounds like its a BG/Miami issue.  Akron should be fine for tournament.   Played BG a week ago.    MAC should  have ended the regular season last Friday.  Then force the top 8 teams to bubble.  Stupid.

I'd have opted for shutting down two weeks ago so that I didn't have to watch what we've seen in the last three games.

It will be one year on Saturday since we were last in the JAR.  Sigh.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

LCJ via Instagram confirming he will not be back next year. 

"Don't get the opportunity to play one last time in the JAR."

It is unfortunate.  I know many high schools in the area had senior night early in the season in case games late got cancelled like this.  At least fans weren’t going to be there to recognize him but it still sneaks he didn’t get a senior night.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Sounds like its a BG/Miami issue.  Akron should be fine for tournament.   Played BG a week ago.    MAC should  have ended the regular season last Friday.  Then force the top 8 teams to bubble.  Stupid.

You are correct. I was thinking (in error) that we played BG on Tuesday. If it was US, Buffalo would also be a cancel.

15 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

When I first saw senior night was on the last night of the regular season I thought it could be a problem in this weird year.

Speaking of weird, how would we be feeling tonight if the Zips had won the regular season and were faced once again with not playing in the tournament?  Blessings in disguise.

3 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I’m hearing it’s Akron with Covid, but they are not being shut down and will play next Thursday. It must have been contained to one person/living space. We’ll see what details follow. 

That's what I'm hearing as well and now the Zips IF. all these teams get there will be #3. seed no matter what happen in games tomorrow.

Edited by NWAkron