Larry Williams Gone - Replaced by UW-Green Bay's Charles Guthrie

94zipgrad

On 6/25/2021 at 1:07 PM, GP1 said:

I'm here to help Clark.

Sentence 1:  Out of curiosity because I have no clue what the answers to these questions are:  Who was the commissioner? How much longer was this person commissioner after this decision?  How many commissioners have there been since? How many athletic directors from that era are still employed by their university?

Deal was finalized in 2014. Jon Steinbrecher he been commissioner since 2009 so he was the one who signed the deal. So Steinbrecher, still is,  none and I don't know but I'd guess it wouldn't be too high, AD's seem to turn over pretty often. Hope this helps with your analysis. :-) 

6 hours ago, MDZip said:

Thanks MDZip. Knowing how many ADs are still around since then would be interesting, but I'm too lazy to look it up. The MAC is a member institution so the Commissioner can't do anything without consent of the members. 

On 6/27/2021 at 5:46 PM, bobbyake said:

With the coach Akron has, it’s unlikely we will win any games. The weeknight games don’t really make a difference for attendance, nobody wants to watch a sad losing culture. The payout from ESPN is smart. The payout from scheduling games against elite teams is smart. What was dumb was firing Bowden with years left on his contract while he was bringing a competitive culture to our program, and replacing him with the garbage coach that wasn’t proving himself where he was. At this point, we’re lucky to have a team still. We need a new coach and then we can start talking about smart moves. Might as well take all the money we can get right now.

Why so negative? Arth's rating is way up from last season.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/list/2021-ranking-college-football-coaches-1-130/aucm7nf38ieq12rwz0wbezasn

Meister, a pretty interesting ranking that means absolutely nothing other than who is on the move. Kent's Sean Lewis and Ball State's Mike Nee seem destined to move on after this year. I always appreciate someone who moves up in the rankings, yet I think we can expect our coach to move more than 5 places this season.

4 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Terry Bowden is 113 on that list. It’s sad we threw him away with years still on his contract for Arth. Larry Williams did a horrible job at Akron and I’m glad he’s gone. It’s hard not to like Kent State with a fellow North High School Viking as their Athletic Director. I might as well start rooting for Kent until Arth gets the boot.

3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Meister, a pretty interesting ranking that means absolutely nothing other than who is on the move. Kent's Sean Lewis and Ball State's Mike Nee seem destined to move on after this year. I always appreciate someone who moves up in the rankings, yet I think we can expect our coach to move more than 5 places this season.

After our two victories over P5 schools this coming season I believe your thinking is absolutely correct.

Bowden also did a crappy job recruiting/transfering his last couple years and left the closet bare. This is not going to be a quick rebuild.

IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spin said:

Bowden also did a crappy job recruiting/transfering his last couple years and left the closet bare. This is not going to be a quick rebuild.

IMO.

I was excited when Bowden was initially hired and he had a good run, and did a great job bringing us back from the iCoachpocalypse.  But the last couple of years... I don't know... something was different.  He got lazy, or something.  Recruiting was lackluster and virtually non-existent in NEO.  That's just not acceptable.  To give him credit, he did land Bubba out of HS, but, IIRC, we were his only D-1 offer.

I still can't get over how excellent the offense was his first year with Dalton at QB.  Bowden's demise, as has been pointed out ad-nauseum, was his undying loyalty to Milwe.  God bless Bowden, loyal to a fault.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

After our two victories over P5 schools this coming season I believe your thinking is absolutely correct.

Yesterday OSU landed the highest ranked defensive recruit in its history. That may have evened the odds for our game. I think it is fair to say we can no longer take a win over them as a given. Now Auburn is a different story. 

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Yesterday OSU landed the highest ranked defensive recruit in its history. That may have evened the odds for our game. I think it is fair to say we can no longer take a win over them as a given. Now Auburn is a different story. 

You must have loaded up on the negative pills 72.

The maximum influence that guy can have (assuming he gets into the game) is to change a Zip's blow-out into a Zip's 3-TD win.

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Now Auburn is a different story. 

The president of my company graduated from Auburn. He said their fans have circled the Akron game on their calendars and point it as a "program builder" since Akron has so much experience at the building process. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was excited when Bowden was initially hired and he had a good run, and did a great job bringing us back from the iCoachpocalypse.  But the last couple of years... I don't know... something was different.  He got lazy, or something.  Recruiting was lackluster and virtually non-existent in NEO.  That's just not acceptable.  To give him credit, he did land Bubba out of HS, but, IIRC, we were his only D-1 offer..  

What changed? The administration. You aren't going to get a winner until the administration changes. Williams is gone, that is step #1.

If the way football has been hyped since Guthrie started the job I'd say his grade in marketing communication is pretty damn poor. With limited time before the first game every day lost in getting the public excited for football is a squandered opportunity that he bears responsibility for. I can't get too excited so far in regards to his management.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

If the way football has been hyped since Guthrie started the job I'd say his grade in marketing communication is pretty damn poor. With limited time before the first game every day lost in getting the public excited for football is a squandered opportunity that he bears responsibility for. I can't get too excited so far in regards to his management.

Do you have some ideas on how to get the general public excited about Akron football? Most on here even lack it and we are supposed to be the die hards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Do you have some ideas on how to get the general public excited about Akron football? Most on here even lack it and we are supposed to be the die hards.

Consult with this guy - the only challenger to Bill Veeck for the title "Greatest Promoter in the History of Sport"

Flint Michigan Mega Bowl -----> Akron Ohio Mega Rubber Bowl.

4th Place!

image.png

15 hours ago, LZIp said:

I appreciate that you want to hear some ideas that can make the situation better. But in this case neither me nor you nor anyone on ZNO is paid to come up with ideas. Guthrie and his staff are paid to do that and still we hear nothing. I guarantee you that any idea I, you or Joe ZNO come up with is better than nothing. We need to expect and demand more. So far we have nothing which is crap. We should not be afraid to call it what it is. If we applaud anyone for doing nothing we are insuring that that is exactly what we will get in the future. Let's set the bar higher. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I appreciate that you want to hear some ideas that can make the situation better. But in this case neither me nor you nor anyone on ZNO is paid to come up with ideas. Guthrie and his staff are paid to do that and still we hear nothing. I guarantee you that any idea I, you or Joe ZNO come up with is better than nothing. We need to expect and demand more. So far we have nothing which is crap. We should not be afraid to call it what it is. If we applaud anyone for doing nothing we are insuring that that is exactly what we will get in the future. Let's set the bar higher. 

What if we give away tickets which entitle the holder admission to the game and entry into a lottery. But, to win the lottery the ticket holder must be present at the game to collect the ($5,000 or whatever) prize. I seem to recall that the possibility of free tuition packed the students into games (or maybe this was just a dream).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...