Larry Williams Gone - Replaced by UW-Green Bay's Charles Guthrie

94zipgrad

14 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

How about you just fill us in on what he said?

He and LW disagreed about using money games as the primary way to fund the program. It adds L's to your record, not W's, and leaves the kids beat up. Look at his last season with the Zips. Really rough OOC schedule: Nebraska (canceled), a good Iowa State Team, Northwestern, and South Carolina. Com0are that with the 2015 schedule. 

The best teams in the SBC have one money game, at the most.

His point was that the AD can help the program out, alot, with scheduling.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

He and LW disagreed about using money games as the primary way to fund the program. It adds L's to your record, not W's, and leaves the kids beat up. Look at his last season with the Zips. Really rough OOC schedule: Nebraska (canceled), a good Iowa State Team, Northwestern, and South Carolina. Com0are that with the 2015 schedule. 

The best teams in the SBC have one money game, at the most.

His point was that the AD can help the program out, alot, with scheduling.

Blah, blah, blah....not to you, Z.O. but Terry B.

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Another area school (more of a junior college) plays the grinder OOC schedule and in fact set the record for OOC monies, and yet they seem to be improving every year.

Yikes. One seven win season preceded by a two, two win seasons and a 3-1 record in a fluke of a season. Maybe they "seem" to be improving, but the jury isn't even in the deliberation room yet. 

14 hours ago, GP1 said:

Yikes. One seven win season preceded by a two, two win seasons and a 3-1 record in a fluke of a season. Maybe they "seem" to be improving, but the jury isn't even in the deliberation room yet. 

Yes, it is early.  However, there's a reason Sean Lewis's name is in the discussion for big school jobs, including Kansas.  That program is going in the right direction.  We should be so lucky.  We'd be erecting a Tom Arth statue if he made that type of progress and won seven games and took the team to a bowl in his second year.  Also, the first of your two win seasons wasn't Lewis's.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Yes, it is early.  However, there's a reason Sean Lewis's name is in the discussion for big school jobs, including Kansas.  That program is going in the right direction.  We should be so lucky.  We'd be erecting a Tom Arth statue if he made that type of progress and won seven games and took the team to a bowl in his second year.  Also, the first of your two win seasons wasn't Lewis's.

A Tom Arth statue for going 5-3 and 3-1? 

Your points don't actually rebutt the more wins and fewer injuries points. 

9 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Kansas is a big job?  

Our schedule this season has always been a dream schedule for me as I believe Winning Programs Compete Against The Best 

Our NC State win for example will forever be an all time classic for me. 

I remember the following Monday seeing our coach being interviewed on ESPN. That brings the exposure we need in regards to recruiting and fundraising. 

Edited by dre22era

On 3/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, 94zipgrad said:

Successful is questionable 

yes, but he has a ND degree and played in the NFL with a lot of contacts,  He has a law degree.  If he is walking away he has much better options,  'there may be a delay, but Larry will turn up iin a better job.

13 hours ago, dre22era said:

Our schedule this season has always been a dream schedule for me as I believe Winning Programs Compete Against The Best 

I remember the following Monday seeing our coach being interviewed on ESPN. That brings the exposure we need in regards to recruiting and fundraising. 

I always like playing Ohio State.  But not this year.  We're far from ready for competition like that.  I don't want to get humiliated.

As far as Auburn?  When we schedule other P5 schools I prefer playing lesser P5 teams instead of the elite.  Give me Ole' Miss, Miss St., or Arkansas out of the SEC West.  Avoid Auburn, LSU, and Alabama.

I still vividly remember that NC State game!  That game gives me hope for Joe Akron eventually having some self-respect and rooting for their hometown team.  I went with a couple friends to a sports bar near Chapel Hill to watch the game.  We were having fun & the place was half-full, with probably 10 other Zips fans.  Ohio State played on t.v. after the Zips game, and during the 4th quarter of the Zips -v- NC State game a lot of red-and-silver-clad OSUcks fans came into the bar.  They didn't even know Akron was playing.  But at a couple tables around me you could hear guys saying, "Oh, look, I think that's Akron playing."  Well by the end of the game the whole bar was cheering for the Zips and high fives were going all around.  So that was pretty cool.  Gives me hope.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dre22era said:

Name a MAC school that could consistently compete against the likes of Auburn and OSU in the same season. 

NC State was awesome. I was there. I also remember getting beaten badly by CMU the following week. 

G5 schools need to stop giving espn credit for being more important than it is. Recent years have produced cratering viewership and ratings for the network. The MAC has been getting a lot of espn exposure though....Tuesday and Wednesday night games starting at 8 PM in front of empty stadiums. That is the type of exposure we need to avoid like the plague. Why the Conference has prostituted itself like this is a complete mystery to me. The revenues shouldn't be that hard to make-up elsewhere.  

There is not a scenario in which even a Cincinnati playing the likes of Auburn and OSU in the same season is good exposure for their program. These two schools aren't like the terrible UCLA program they beat two years in a row recently. They are national championship contenders dripping with future NFL players. Our ooc schedule next year is a loser on multiple levels. First, we are going to get destroyed by OSU and Auburn unless these schools absolutely call off the dogs against an undertalented MAC school with a coach who would rather be somewhere else. Second, one of the opponents is so obscure I can't even think of their name as I didn't know they had a football team. Lastly, Temple...I'll leave it at that...  Winning, and a lot of winning, brings exposure. If we can't at least win, the only exposure we are going to get is negative. We need to stop finding ways to lose in the name of exposure or money. It simply isn't working. Are there any adults in the room when these decisions are made?

Mid-week games had their place 10-15 years ago. Now with streaming, every game is available. I'd wager whatever game on ESPNU on a Tuesday night doesn't have ratings materially better than the Saturday games streaming on ESPN3 or ESPN+, at least not enough to kill of the gameday crowds and atmospheres.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:32 AM, GP1 said:

Name a MAC school that could consistently compete against the likes of Auburn and OSU in the same season. 

NC State was awesome. I was there. I also remember getting beaten badly by CMU the following week. 

G5 schools need to stop giving espn credit for being more important than it is. Recent years have produced cratering viewership and ratings for the network. The MAC has been getting a lot of espn exposure though....Tuesday and Wednesday night games starting at 8 PM in front of empty stadiums. That is the type of exposure we need to avoid like the plague. Why the Conference has prostituted itself like this is a complete mystery to me. The revenues shouldn't be that hard to make-up elsewhere.  

There is not a scenario in which even a Cincinnati playing the likes of Auburn and OSU in the same season is good exposure for their program. These two schools aren't like the terrible UCLA program they beat two years in a row recently. They are national championship contenders dripping with future NFL players. Our ooc schedule next year is a loser on multiple levels. First, we are going to get destroyed by OSU and Auburn unless these schools absolutely call off the dogs against an undertalented MAC school with a coach who would rather be somewhere else. Second, one of the opponents is so obscure I can't even think of their name as I didn't know they had a football team. Lastly, Temple...I'll leave it at that...  Winning, and a lot of winning, brings exposure. If we can't at least win, the only exposure we are going to get is negative. We need to stop finding ways to lose in the name of exposure or money. It simply isn't working. Are there any adults in the room when these decisions are made?

I disagree

How come we can't be a Boise State or at-least a BYU in regards to consistency being able to at-least compete with anyone. 

I have never been a fan of basically viewing our program as inferior to any Power 5 school. 

I believe the exposure Cincinnati has receive the past few years has greatly helped that program and as a result we saw them competing for a playoff slot last season. 

55 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I disagree

How come we can't be a Boise State or at-least a BYU in regards to consistency being able to at-least compete with anyone. 

I have never been a fan of basically viewing our program as inferior to any Power 5 school. 

I believe the exposure Cincinnati has receive the past few years has greatly helped that program and as a result we saw them competing for a playoff slot last season. 

How come?  Because we participate in a league that is not interested in competing at the highest level. BYU is a unique institution that has a history of competing at the highest levels. Boise State is a cute story, but put them in the PAC12 and they are .500 team. 

We are inferior to almost every P5 school. To pretend differently is delusional. It doesn't mean we can't be really good at our own level. 

Cincinnati is another good story. They are their coach leaving away from being very average again. If the P5 schools break away on their own, Cincinnati, Boise State and BYU will have tough decisions to make. I don't think anyone would want them. They bring no value to a P5 conference.