MAC Semi-Finals- Buffalo

Have to rebound and defend against this team in the semifinals. Not sure there is a worse matchup in the MAC for the Zips than the opponent Friday night. Freeman, Reece, and Ali need to have impactful games inside.

Playing consecutive days the first thing that seems to go is the shooting from distance. Of course how many people you play also factors in to that fatigue level and coaches have done as well with that as can be expected. 

Correct me if I am wrong but if the Zips win tonight would that mean they have defeated every other MAC team this season at least once?

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Any word on Wynn or Dailey for tonight? Wynn, especially, would be massive. 

Since we found out roughly a week ago that the Miami game was canceled due to COVID and these are the only roster changes that popped up on either team, I would assume their earliest availability would be Saturday if they got a 10-day quarantine. The players live in pods of three so with those two and Currie out, my best guess is someone got it and the other two are in quarantine. Hoping for the best for those guys' health. I'd also hate for them to work so hard all year, no matter how uninspiring Dailey has been in particular, to end the season sitting in their bedrooms. 

This is an interesting matchup in a lot of ways. Considering depth and relative experience, these two rosters stack up well next to each other. Them being 2 and 3 with Toledo at 1 makes sense if you look at the personnel. But when Akron plays to their potential, you get the second half of the game last week. Buffalo is tough, they always are. If you match that toughness and intensity, you give yourself a great chance. If Trimble can continue to get himself going and Ali can build on a solid night, I feel a lot better. The Bulls are playing great, but they are no longer immortal. Also, here's to hoping they used up their lot of hot shooting last night. But at the end of the day, the Zips have been their own worst enemy all year. I think and hope last night instilled tremendous confidence and they really bring it tonight. Getting random contributions from a guy like Marshall remind me of earlier this year when it was next man up, I got your back. 

Any night could be the last night we see LCJ in an Akron uniform. Just remember that and remember how lucky we are. Go Zips!!!

Somehow, some way, we have to find a way to create turnovers, or interrupt Buffalo's offensive flow.  And -- as one poster on the UB board said -- Lil Loren gotta both score AND kick to the corners to create three-point opportunities.  Trimble and Jackson have BOTH gotta have scoring streaks and get us around 14/15 treys as a team.  And the bench...Marshall last night.  Either him or Dawson has to contribute tonight and deny Canada the second chance shot.  Play as the underdog and #StealitBack.  This team had it stolen from them last year.  Steal it back this year in CLE.  Home court!

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

Correct me if I am wrong but if the Zips win tonight would that mean they have defeated every other MAC team this season at least once?

That is correct the Zips have beaten every other team in the league - and only got to play Buffalo on the road. Interestingly we only beat one team twice (until we met BGSU for the third time in the tournament) - the Flushes. That's not a bad year. Buffalo is playing well but they are far from unbeatable.

I'm not too worried about their big man defensively. Just like Plowden last night, we can afford to let Mballa get points and still win. The priority needs to be shutting everyone else down. I think this game revolves around how the Zips are able to handle Graves. When Graves is hot, he is as good as any player in the MAC, but teams have shown that it is possible to get him out of his rhythm. The Zips need to make sure he does not get hot tonight. 

#1.  Incredibly proud that this team, after crashing the last 3 or 4 games, came back and won their biggest game of the year so far.

#2.  I watched some of the Buffalo game yesterday.  They aren't the unstoppable team of the past.  They miss some bunnies and can shoot some dud 3 pointers.  Also, they aren't great from the foul line.  However, like the Zips, they can turn it on and wear you down, especially if they are getting offensive rebounds and keeping our defense on their end of the floor.

#3.  These tournament games are won by intangibles or one aspect of the game that is really sharp.  Zips only had 7 turnovers yesterday but their shooting wasn't great.  Tonight something or someone else may pull them over the finish line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Mballa has anywhere close to 23&19 like he did last night, the Zips are toast. Key offensive boards for BG kept them in the game much longer than they should have last night. I don't worry nearly as much about the perimeter shooting of Buffalo as I do them wearing down the Akron interior. Segu and Williams probably won't combine for 10-12 from three again. If they do that to Akron, they deserve to play for the title.

Some numbers to ponder.  Buffalo's top three rebounders are Mballa at 10.4 rpg, Williams at 7 rpg and Graves at 5.9 rpg.  The Zips top rebounders are Freeman at 9 rpg, Reece at 4.7 rpg and Ali at 3.4 rpg.  Not only are their top 3 ahead statistically, they are usually on the floor together which can't be said about the Zips as Freeman and Reece do not see the floor at the same time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Some numbers to ponder.  Buffalo's top three rebounders are Mballa at 10.4 rpg, Williams at 7 rpg and Graves at 5.9 rpg.  The Zips top rebounders are Freeman at 9 rpg, Reece at 4.7 rpg and Ali at 3.4 rpg.  Not only are their top 3 ahead statistically, they are usually on the floor together which can't be said about the Zips as Freeman and Reece do not see the floor at the same time. 

Oh.  I guess that's that.