Northern Illinois - First MAC road game - Sunday Mar 14

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2021/3/12/mens-soccer-huskies-host-akron-in-mac-home-opener.aspx

to watch the game on video...will require some dollars  ☹️

Members of the general public are now welcome to attend NIU home soccer matches with capacity of the NIU Soccer Complex limited to 20 percent, or just under 400 total. The contest will also be streamed live on Huskie All-Access on NIUHuskies.com. Subscriptions are available for $6.95 (24-hour pass), $10.95 (monthly recurring subscription) or $89.95 (annual). 

5 minutes ago, bigzipguy said:

I am following the game on stats, not watching. Anyone one watching, do they really look bad???

they look as bad as the 3-0 score indicated

outhustled to 50/50 balls....

no cohesiveness on passes

lazy , sloppy back passes led to first 2 goals...

goal keeper error led to 3rd goal

really missed Pol Hernandez on left side

I will have to look at player stats...but it looked like Pacheco sat for the first 26 minutes of 2nd half

no offense today on left side of the field

• Like 1

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2020/10/12/general-mac-announces-fall-sports-operational-plan.aspx

"Men’s Soccer

• To compete in 10 conference matches in a double round robin format over a seven-week period between March 7th and April 18th.  
  • The regular season champion will receive the Conference automatic qualifier to the NCAA Tournament. 
  • Matches will be played on Wednesday/Sunday "

after 2 games in the conference, every single team has a 1-1 record

Bowling Green beat SIU-E today on a golden goal (SIUE had defeated WMU in first game)

Western Michigan defeated West Virginia today 1-0 (WVU had defeated NIU in first game)

"We were outplayed all over the field today," Akron head coach Jared Embick commented. "The result was deserved by Northern Illinois. Fortunately for us, everyone in the conference is 1-1 and we have to learn from this and correct it by Wednesday."

https://gozips.com/news/2021/3/14/mens-soccer-akron-suffers-setback-at-northern-illinois.aspx

37 minutes ago, TennZip said:

"We were outplayed all over the field today," Akron head coach Jared Embick commented. "The result was deserved by Northern Illinois. Fortunately for us, everyone in the conference is 1-1 and we have to learn from this and correct it by Wednesday."

https://gozips.com/news/2021/3/14/mens-soccer-akron-suffers-setback-at-northern-illinois.aspx

Glad he wasn’t sugar coating it.

Wake up call?

20 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wake up call?

For the whole team, I hope. The coaches need to figure out the best players for the positions, and the players have to perform during all of their minutes in those positions. I don't think we've seen either, yet. It will help to have Pol Hernandez back.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity I wondered where this loss stood up in the annals (I think anals would be appropriate too) in MAC conference history. As it turns out this stands as the single worst loss (by score) in the MAC in Zips history. Wow. Still sort of impressive in a way that the Zips had never been beaten in conference by more than 2-0 to this point.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Just out of curiosity I wondered where this loss stood up in the annals (I think anals would be appropriate too) in MAC conference history. As it turns out this stands as the single worst loss (by score) in the MAC in Zips history. Wow. Still sort of impressive in a way that the Zips had never been beaten in conference by more than 2-0 to this point.

Without a conference tournament, only the round-robin competition will be considered.  Goal differential is one of the tie-breakers.

8 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Without a conference tournament, only the round-robin competition will be considered.  Goal differential is one of the tie-breakers.

I’m not so sure about that. As I recall, the MAC uses tiebreakers that are not the usual soccer tie breakers. 

Edited by Zip_ME87