2021-2022 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

Yeah, to concur with much of the sentiment already posted; we need a transfer, or we're going to barely scratch the top 8. Hopefully, Groce can bring in a significant contributor, Currie and Dailey were excellent prospects - however, they didn't pan out. If Groce was able to recruit talent before, hopefully, he can do it again. 

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Due to the COVID year who can know exactly how the current class designations are going to pan out, but here is an updated (as of 3/15) scholarship chart:

So based off this, Akron has exhausted all 13 scholarship opportunities and can't pursue transfers? 

1 minute ago, AkronAlumnus said:

So based off this, Akron has exhausted all 13 scholarship opportunities and can't pursue transfers? 

Assuming Freeman gets put on athletic scholly instead of full-ride academic scholly and nobody else transfers, yes. I don't know think either are a guarantee and suspect we'll have at least one new addition we don't yet know of for next season.

14 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I don't know how you can consider Taylor Currie a "presumed non-returner" based on what we saw this year.  We DIDN'T see him this year -- and no one seems to know WHY!  Could coaches simply be holding him back anticipating his maturation for the future?  I have no idea -- but I can't simply guess that a former high-major recruit is suddenly a bust in the MAC!

Ummm, because the word on the street was that he was entering the transfer portal, which he confirmed today.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

My gut tells me another kid could move on and open another slot.

Also, might Freeman take one for the team and stay on academic scholarship?

What's the difference between an athletic and academic scholarship? As long as one gets their education and expenses paid for, that's all that matters, right?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

What's the difference between an athletic and academic scholarship? As long as one gets their education and expenses paid for, that's all that matters, right?

An athletic scholarship means Groce would have on less scholarship to offer. I’ll take an extra basketball scholarship any day of the week. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

An athletic scholarship means Groce would have on less scholarship to offer. I’ll take an extra basketball scholarship any day of the week. 

That's it? That's the only tangible difference? Then yeah, I think Freeman will stay on an academic scholarship giving him the chance to have a better teammate. As long as he gets his education compensated, it should not matter, whether it's via the athletic or academic department.

Edited by AkronAlumnus

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I also would suspect that the academic scholarship would exclude him from receiving the athletic stipend

The bigger question is:

Does the fact that he is NOT a scholarship player mean he can transfer freely without sitting out a year?

Going forward, that is a BIG deal. He is on the national radar, if he is not locked in look out.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Ummm, because the word on the street was that he was entering the transfer portal, which he confirmed today.

This link says he was recruited as a stretch 4 ... and his game transitioned to a stretch 5 w/back-to-the-basket skills. ... If true, then he should have been a VALUABLE backup at the least at PF and C. But he wasn't. Something does not compute. Didn't see enough on the court to make a judgement either way. Where he winds up will likely say a lot about what kind of player he really is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I just wanted to point out the irony in 71's favorite player being an undersized center 😆

Who won just about every opening jump ball against "real" centers.

And who happens to be out BEST returning player for next season BAR NONE.

except of course that he has bad hands and no basketball instincts.

Edited by akronzips71

12 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I was wondering that as well.  The only thought I have is that with an academic scholarship you have to maintain a pretty high GPA to remain on scholarship.  An athletic scholarship probably allows for a "C's get degrees" approach to academics so that the athlete can have more time to focus on his sport; e.g., spending time in the gym as opposed to the library.  Playing D-1 sports is a pretty huge time commitment.  If Enrique has a new goal of playing professional ball, he may want that athletic scholarship option.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1