2021-2022 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Our post players are going to be young next year

Freeman - sophomore

Bandaogo - freshman

Salle - freshman (true freshman)

With Cam Reese graduating I thought Marshall would be in line for significant PT next season.  Especially considering it normally takes true post players a year or two longer to acclimate to the D-1 game than it does wings and guards.

and our 3-point shooting is going to be shaky

Clarke - shaky

Tribble - very shaky

Trimble - dead eye

Dawson - streaky

Ali - shaky

Wynn - shaky

Johnson - shaky (true freshman)

Mitchell - dead eye (but only a true freshman)

I'd take a transfer G who has a nice, confident 3-point stroke.

That's one argument against moving Freeman to the four.  If he's there, that means you have another "non-shooter" at the five.  If Clarke is the one and Trimble is in the staring lineup, Tribble can't be a starter as he was in the late season  as that leaves Trimble and an erratic Clarke as your only outside shooters.  Moving Freeman pushes Tribble to the bench, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but contrary to the direction they started.    That was the beauty of guys like X and Kwan, they could play the stretch four.

I miss the good old days where every shot wasn't a layup or a 3, but this is where we are.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

Overthinking it

Did anyone (even me) think Freeman would be starting at this time last year?

We have to see what practice and recruiting brings.

Probably.  But we have fun with this sort of thing. Lol

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That's one argument against moving Freeman to the four.  If he's there, that means you have another "non-shooter" at the five.  If Clarke is the one and Trimble is in the staring lineup, Tribble can't be a starter as he was in the late season  as that leaves Trimble and an erratic Clarke as your only outside shooters.  Moving Freeman pushes Tribble to the bench, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but contrary to the direction they started.    That was the beauty of guys like X and Kwan, they could play the stretch four.

I miss the good old days where every shot wasn't a layup or a 3, but this is where we are.

That's why I was pushing Dawson, as opposed to Tribble, to start in place of Dailey.  I appreciate Tribble's hustle and athleticism, but I'm still surprised he started over Dawson.  I like Dawson's size and 3-point shooting.  I think with another off-season of work, he's going to be our breakout player next year.

And yeah, with the departure of Marshall we don't have a stretch 4.  I'm surprised he chose to transfer.  

I mentioned this last off season, but think Ali could play the stretch 4 role?

That'd give us a lineup looking something like:

PG: Clarke....... Johnson... Mitchell(?)

W:   Trimble..... Tribble..... Edwards(?)

W:   Dawson..... Wynn

P:   Ali.............. Salle

P:   Freeman.... Bandaogo

I kinda like that staring 5.  Doesn't leave much 3-point prowess coming off the bench, but I guess we don't live in a perfect word.

2 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Overthinking it

Did anyone (even me) think Freeman would be starting at this time last year?

We have to see what practice and recruiting brings.

Ummm, that's kind of what forums are about. 

25 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Probably.  But we have fun with this sort of thing. Lol

That's why I was pushing Dawson, as opposed to Tribble, to start in place of Dailey.  I appreciate Tribble's hustle and athleticism, but I'm still surprised he started over Dawson.  I like Dawson's size and 3-point shooting.  I think with another off-season of work, he's going to be our breakout player next year.

And yeah, with the departure of Marshall we don't have a stretch 4.  I'm surprised he chose to transfer.  

I mentioned this last off season, but think Ali could play the stretch 4 role?

That'd give us a lineup looking something like:

PG: Clarke....... Johnson... Mitchell(?)

W:   Trimble..... Tribble..... Edwards(?)

W:   Dawson..... Wynn

P:   Ali.............. Salle

P:   Freeman.... Bandaogo

I kinda like that staring 5.  Doesn't leave much 3-point prowess coming off the bench, but I guess we don't live in a perfect word.

I could see that, but I could also see Wynn where you have Dawson with Dawson seeing a lot of minutes coming in for both Ali and Wynn.  Also, we should remember that Groce starts the five he thinks work best together rather than the 5 best players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZIPS96 said:

Reece in the transfer portal.  We didn’t expect him back so not a big deal.

I wonder if that is by choice or if Groce did not want him back because he did not have a scholarship for him.  I liked Reese in that he had some great post moves and was very strong underneath.  However, the team did little to get the ball to him and I have noted before he seemed to disappear on offense.  It make mes wonder if there are other senior players who want to play another year but the coach has told them he does not have a scholarship for them.   Will we see another senior transfer from a big program next year?

I’m thinking Tribble Trimble Ali Wynn Freeman to start next year I think we’ll also see a whole new style of play as well since we don’t have to try to hide anyone on defense. Everyone in the incoming freshman class won’t play but I think Johnson and Salle will contribute. Expect to see Tribble with the ball in his hands, he wasn’t a top 150 kid coming out of high school for no reason he can handle it, make plays and put you on sportscenter. he’s paid his dues taking a lesser role and fewer touches because of LCJ who was a vet and earned his status. don’t think he’ll take a backseat to clarke.   

1 minute ago, Bigzip1 said:

I’m thinking Tribble Trimble Ali Wynn Freeman to start next year I think we’ll also see a whole new style of play as well since we don’t have to try to hide anyone on defense. Everyone in the incoming freshman class won’t play but I think Johnson and Salle will contribute. Expect to see Tribble with the ball in his hands, he wasn’t a top 150 kid coming out of high school for no reason he can handle it, make plays and put you on sportscenter. he’s paid his dues taking a lesser role and fewer touches because of LCJ who was a vet and earned his status. don’t think he’ll take a backseat to clarke.   

I love google.

LCJ born 1996

Greg Tribble born 2001...

Let’s have a little confidence in the kid he’s got a whole off season to work on his shot. Everything else is there.

11 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

I love google.

LCJ born 1996

Let’s have a little confidence in the kid he’s got a whole off season to work on his shot. Everything else is there.

To put LCJ's experience and maturity into perspective, he was born on December 15, 1996.  The NBA's youngest player, Aleksej Pokusevski of the Oklahoma City Thunder, was born on December 26, 2001.  Nearly 5 years difference.

52 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

I agree that our defense should be stronger without LCJ.  As good as he was on the offensive end, he was not a great defender.    I think part of it was his size in that he had difficulty getting through screens but I also saw him get beat off the dribble. I also saw him come off his man to help out leaving his man open for a 3 pointer on the wing.  Never quite understood Groce's thinking on that move. When he got posted up down low an Akron defender would always have to help out.  Tribble is a much better defender and can also jump out of the building for rebounds. 

19 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree that our defense should be stronger without LCJ.  As good as he was on the offensive end, he was not a great defender.    I think part of it was his size in that he had difficulty getting through screens but I also saw him get beat off the dribble. I also saw him come off his man to help out leaving his man open for a 3 pointer on the wing.  Never quite understood Groce's thinking on that move. When he got posted up down low an Akron defender would always have to help out.  Tribble is a much better defender and can also jump out of the building for rebounds. 

I'd cringe every time he's get caught in one of those pick and roll type switches where he'd end up on a big man.  I've actually been surprised during him time here that he wasn't posted up or backed down more than he was.  To his credit, I wish our big men during his time here worked as hard as he did in post defense.

33 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd cringe every time he's get caught in one of those pick and roll type switches where he'd end up on a big man.  I've actually been surprised during him time here that he wasn't posted up or backed down more than he was.  To his credit, I wish our big men during his time here worked as hard as he did in post defense.

I should add he was very good at drawing offensive fouls and that is one of the few times his size actually helped him on defense.  I give him a great deal of credit for standing there and getting  run over by guys who outwieighed him by 100 pounds.  He was also great drawing fouls on the offensive end.  The officiating crew in the last game would not give him any calls on his drives and you could actually hear his frustration.

Edited by 1981 grad

1 hour ago, Bigzip1 said:

I love google.

LCJ born 1996

He’s played basketball his whole like and has been at Akron for 2 years, I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see him becoming a good shooter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZIPS96 said:

He’s played basketball his whole like and has been at Akron for 2 years, I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see him becoming a good shooter.  

1.) Put some arc on your shot

2.) Shoot 500 3's a day between now and October.

3.) Practice finishing the shot when you drive to the hole

4.) Make at least 70% of your free throws

That's my Tribble offseason workout program.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I dont know if this is the reason we see college athletes with weird shooting forms but when I am in the gym and watch these young kids hoist up 3 point baskets and nothing else.  When they are young, they do not have the strength to get the ball to the hoop so they shoot from their waist or develop an odd shot.  I really think the 3 point shot has hurt young players to develop because all they want to do is shoot the 3 ball.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

This x10000. Sure, old habits die hard, but players can vastly improve jump shooting with work. Look at Trimble's college career 3pt numbers from his first year on. Ditto LCJ, Channel Banks, and even Tyler Cheese developed a hell of a 3pt shot in his second year. I apologize for always brining up Cheese in particular, but he was a lethal weapon, a 5-tool player if you will. And if Tribble develops a respectable jumper and learns how to finish (Lord knows he can get to the bucket), that could be the difference between a good and great season for Akron.

Agree with you guys.  He's never going to be a deadeye sharpshooter but there's no reason with his athleticism and skillset that he can't become passable with work.  It's a lot of work, but if he puts it in he can at least become enough of a threat to draw a defender on the perimeter rather than sag as they do now.  45% FG/25-30% 3PTFG is a reasonable expectation.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

...25-30% 3PTFG is a reasonable expectation.

If we’re going to be any good next year, and he’s a starting guard, he’s gotta be above 30% from 3. Preferably at least 35%. The days of having guards shoot 25% from behind the arc are over unless you can dish it like Rondo or Kidd.