2021-2022 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

Tribble being a top 150 player out of HS would be news to me. I don't remember him having any other offers. Maybe 1? I was a big fan of his based on what he showed his freshman season. Year 2 was a disappointment in my eyes. Didn't see much, if any improvement. I agree his shooting is biggest weakness, specifically his FT shooting considering his physical style of play. Need to be able to capitalize when he gets fouled. Not that his 3 game doesn't need a ton of work, I just don't think everyone necessarily needs to be a threat from there if they can contribute another way.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If we’re going to be any good next year, and he’s a starting guard, he’s gotta be above 30% from 3. Preferably at least 35%. The days of having guards shoot 25% from behind the arc are over unless you can dish it like Rondo or Kidd.

Well, he shot .067 this year on 1 for 15 so I am just hoping for improvement.

I think he's a sixth man playing a lot of minutes at the 1 and the 2 but only time will tell.

Tribble isn't really a PG to me. He actually plays more like a 3, he's just shorter than the average 3 man. He's like the basketball version of the "athlete" recruit. Hopefully they can work on his jumper and make him less one dimensional. It's like his vertical is a detriment to the jumper almost.. he really springs up there. Just take a little off that and let it fly

• Like 1

Is there anybody interesting in the mass exodus from the Queen City?

The rift with Cincinnati Bearcats coach John Brannen that led to a mass exodus of basketball players

CINCINNATI — The Cincinnati Bearcats’ men’s basketball program has experienced a mass roster exodus in recent days, with six players entering the transfer portal. According to numerous sources close to the program and familiar with the decisions, the departures are tied to a rift between those players and coach John Brannen.

In looking at next year's team I'd like to offer a lineup that may differ from a lot of your opinions.

Post - Bandago ....... Freeman ....... Salle

PF    - Freeman ........ Ali

Wing - Ali ....... Dawson ....... Wynn

SG    - Trimble ....... Mitchell ....... Johnson

PG   - Clarke ..... Mitchel/Johnson ...... Tribble

I would start Aziz and play him into the position. He has the ability and by tournament time I think he could be that force in the paint we need. Freeman can back him up, but I feel Freeman has the Bball IQ to transition to PF where he can still rebound, block shots and score low while being a little further from the basket. Salle is a nice third option down low. Ali is my first choice at Wing. He has the skill and body, he just has to show up. If not I wouldn't hesitate to go to Dawson who may win the spot outright anyway. I love his development. At SG I will begin with Trimble, but if he doesn't start playing defense or show a willingness to move to get open more, rather than be served up the ball, I'd seriously consider a freshman. At PG Clarke is my hands down choice. One of the freshman could back him up. Unfortunately Tribble is in jeopardy of losing PT. He is a liability from 3 pt range and at the line. He cannot dribble penetrate when closely guarded. As pointed out before he also needs to finish at the rim better. Until he improves his shot and at the line I see him sitting more.

Next year could, and should, be a good year for us. So bring it on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Groce loves the three.  I think you'd only see two bigs without an outside shot in the lineup if your small forward and guards are sharpshooters and I don't see that in this squad as presently constructed.

Then again, I had Taylor Currie and Reece in my projected starting lineup in the pre-season last year!

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Groce loves the three.  I think you'd only see two bigs without an outside shot in the lineup if your small forward and guards are sharpshooters and I don't see that in this squad as presently constructed.

Good point. Personally Don't think we can be a consistent winner, in big games, relying mostly on the three. I hope that Groce relies less on the three and more on spreading the ball to whoever is open in a motion offense. What I noticed more and more as the season went was that no outside shooter from Akron followed their shot. Usually only one rebounder was under the basket, most times Freeman or Cam. That meant that we had a poor chance of getting the offensive rebound on a miss. That has got to change. Watching Trimble, Dailey and Ali shoot and then admire their shots drove me nuts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Good point. Personally Don't think we can be a consistent winner, in big games, relying mostly on the three. I hope that Groce relies less on the three and more on spreading the ball to whoever is open in a motion offense. What I noticed more and more as the season went was that no outside shooter from Akron followed their shot. Usually only one rebounder was under the basket, most times Freeman or Cam. That meant that we had a poor chance of getting the offensive rebound on a miss. That has got to change. Watching Trimble, Dailey and Ali shoot and then admire their shots drove me nuts. 

Good call.  I guess we all have to also rely on Groce's history of playing to his team's strengths rather than trying to squeeze teams into a pre-determined strategy.

The only thing I wouldn't defer to Groce is craft beer. When it comes to Bball I trust his judgement. He will do what is best for the team and our long term chances of success. He's a good coach and we all better enjoy him while we got him. 

• Like 3

On 3/19/2021 at 7:56 PM, LZIp said:

Tribble being a top 150 player out of HS would be news to me. I don't remember him having any other offers. Maybe 1? I was a big fan of his based on what he showed his freshman season. Year 2 was a disappointment in my eyes. Didn't see much, if any improvement. I agree his shooting is biggest weakness, specifically his FT shooting considering his physical style of play. Need to be able to capitalize when he gets fouled. Not that his 3 game doesn't need a ton of work, I just don't think everyone necessarily needs to be a threat from there if they can contribute another way.

No idea where you get your information he was right outside of the top 100 when he committed to Akron he had about 10 division 1 offers do your research. 

22 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

In looking at next year's team I'd like to offer a lineup that may differ from a lot of your opinions.

Post - Bandago ....... Freeman ....... Salle

PF    - Freeman ........ Ali

Wing - Ali ....... Dawson ....... Wynn

SG    - Trimble ....... Mitchell ....... Johnson

PG   - Clarke ..... Mitchel/Johnson ...... Tribble

I would start Aziz and play him into the position. He has the ability and by tournament time I think he could be that force in the paint we need. Freeman can back him up, but I feel Freeman has the Bball IQ to transition to PF where he can still rebound, block shots and score low while being a little further from the basket. Salle is a nice third option down low. Ali is my first choice at Wing. He has the skill and body, he just has to show up. If not I wouldn't hesitate to go to Dawson who may win the spot outright anyway. I love his development. At SG I will begin with Trimble, but if he doesn't start playing defense or show a willingness to move to get open more, rather than be served up the ball, I'd seriously consider a freshman. At PG Clarke is my hands down choice. One of the freshman could back him up. Unfortunately Tribble is in jeopardy of losing PT. He is a liability from 3 pt range and at the line. He cannot dribble penetrate when closely guarded. As pointed out before he also needs to finish at the rim better. Until he improves his shot and at the line I see him sitting more.

Next year could, and should, be a good year for us. So bring it on.

Don’t quit your day job 😂

On 3/20/2021 at 8:48 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Dear Mods,

For what it's worth, I like this new font! 

Very legible and easy on the eyes.

And the font is back to what it was a couple days ago.  Am I going nuts, or did the font change for a day?  Inquiring minds want to know.

@72 Roo I'm with you in that I like Ali's potential at the PF spot.  After watching X I really like that stretch 4.  Ali can't launch it like X, but at least he's a 3-point threat & so he can help space the floor.  Clarke & Johnson are both slashing PG's, so we don't want the paint too congested.  Let them drive & dish.

PG: Clarke....... Johnson

W:  Trimble...... Tribble (6th man)

W:  Dawson..... Wynn....... Edwards

4:   Ali............... Salle

5:   Freeman.... Bandaogo

Mitchell (redshirt)

44 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

No idea where you get your information he was right outside of the top 100 when he committed to Akron he had about 10 division 1 offers do your research. 

I like Greg but this seems false.

https://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Tribble-46051133/high-school-210962/

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/greg-tribble-jr

8 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

You can go to his Twitter page and see some of the offers he had. I’m just getting a little annoyed with the bad takes and baseless opinions in this board I’m seeing people say Aziz should be starting alongside freeman (nonsense) and now you guys are giving incoming freshman who haven’t played a minute of college basketball big roles it makes my brain hurt then I remember a lot of you guys thought Currie would play big minutes and be a factor on this years team.  

5C7A43FB-792F-4A45-8FE9-F31003B3FBFC.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

You can go to his Twitter page and see some of the offers he had. I’m just getting a little annoyed with the bad takes and baseless opinions in this board I’m seeing people say Aziz should be starting alongside freeman (nonsense) and now you guys are giving incoming freshman who haven’t played a minute of college basketball big roles it makes my brain hurt then I remember a lot of you guys thought Currie would play big minutes and be a factor on this years team.  

Easy there big guy.  It's an opinion based forum.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

5C7A43FB-792F-4A45-8FE9-F31003B3FBFC.png

Sadly, number 6 here is a lot better than 7. I don’t understand how he could be rated so high at 6’3 with no jump shot