2021-2022 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

6 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

Don’t quit your day job 😂

Be nice now 😉. You don't have to like my picks, just think about 'em. And, yes, I think we should have a good year next season.

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

@72 Roo I'm with you in that I like Ali's potential at the PF spot.  After watching X I really like that stretch 4.  Ali can't launch it like X, but at least he's a 3-point threat & so he can help space the floor.  Clarke & Johnson are both slashing PG's, so we don't want the paint too congested.  Let them drive & dish.

PG: Clarke....... Johnson

W:  Trimble...... Tribble (6th man)

W:  Dawson..... Wynn....... Edwards

4:   Ali............... Salle

5:   Freeman.... Bandaogo

Mitchell (redshirt)

I like your lineup too. We have outside threats nd inside ones also. I like two bounders in Freeman and Dawson. If Ali could commit to rebounding we could potentially limit teams to one shot. That's big if, but well worth demanding it of him. Except for Trimble the defense will be solid. Well thought out.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

You can go to his Twitter page and see some of the offers he had. I’m just getting a little annoyed with the bad takes and baseless opinions in this board I’m seeing people say Aziz should be starting alongside freeman (nonsense) and now you guys are giving incoming freshman who haven’t played a minute of college basketball big roles it makes my brain hurt then I remember a lot of you guys thought Currie would play big minutes and be a factor on this years team.  

Back off Francis and calm down. No one but me talked about pairing Aziz and Freeman so don't rip the rest of the forum. I even prefaced my comment by saying many may not agree. I was just enjoying the thought of toying with next season's hopes. Now go take that tight underwear off, have some warm milk and cookies and then get tucked in. You have had too big of a day getting annoyed. You really need a nap. Save your ripping for the rest of the MAC.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Not one I saw coming. I really liked Marshall's hustle and attitude. 

So did I.  I could have seen him getting significant PT next season.  He put his name in the Portal after his end-of-season meeting with the coaches, so hopefully the coaches see our young forwards as likely being better than Marshall was. (But I still like his attitude and stretch-4 ability.)

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

So did I.  I could have seen him getting significant PT next season.  He put his name in the Portal after his end-of-season meeting with the coaches, so hopefully the coaches see our young forwards as likely being better than Marshall was. (But I still like his attitude and stretch-4 ability.)

I would like to think the inevitable Transfer Portal craziness this offseason has our coaches focused on adding more developed talent. We have a young backcourt and frontcourt next year (basically the team is younger), so adding an upperclassman transfer from a P5 school could provide additional leadership and skill. Duvivier comes to mind when thinking of those attributes and qualifications. Oregon State to Akron, and he kept Akron more competitive than they should've been with that roster in Groce's first year. The roster is WAY better now than it was then, but the same type of boost could be found. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

So assuming the 3 seniors (LCJ, Dailey, Reece) don't come back, and Currie and Marshall are gone, we have room to add at least 2 players who can contribute right away. Creators, creators, and more creators please.

Can we add a Vander Plas - that stretch 4 that is a serious threat from deep but also isn't afraid to slash and drive to the basket? 

Good luck to Edwards.  Getting redshirted and then playing 10 minutes and 52 seconds in an entire season does not bode well for your future contributions on a team.

We shall now call 16:13 of playing time in a season the "Currie line."  He woefully fell below that.

Woohoo, another spot for a contributor.

20 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good luck to Edwards.  Getting redshirted and then playing 10 minutes and 52 seconds in an entire season does not bode well for your future contributions on a team.

We shall now call 16:13 of playing time in a season the "Currie line."  He woefully fell below that.

Woohoo, another spot for a contributor.

any word on the seniors besides LCJ and Reese?  I think IlliniZip is itching to up date his scholarship chart.

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Hopefully, these transfers free up a roster spot or two. I wouldn't mind landing one of the Cincinnati transfers, preferably a point guard who can create and score. 

We've got 3 open if my math is correct! Marshall, Edwards, and Currie are underclassmen leaving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Will players who transfer in have immediate eligibility?

I’m not sure, but I hope so. This team is quickly purging bodies I don’t think the staff was really expecting. At this point, all of those freshman may be playing after all, and hopefully they can grab another immediate contributor soon. Whether Marshall and Edwards were any good or not (I think Marshall would’ve been), they were experienced players. That’s what made the 19-20 special, and we need more bodies like that. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I’m not sure, but I hope so. This team is quickly purging bodies I don’t think the staff was really expecting. At this point, all of those freshman may be playing after all, and hopefully they can grab another immediate contributor soon. Whether Marshall and Edwards were any good or not (I think Marshall would’ve been), they were experienced players. That’s what made the 19-20 special, and we need more bodies like that. 

I think some of them were expected just given their lack of contribution and the fact that the coaches are with them every day and can see their attitudes.  Currie and Edwards were certainly predictable and Reece was a senior.  As the season wore down, I am confident they saw some of them coming.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Will players who transfer in have immediate eligibility?

I think at least the seniors would. Would make little sense for seniors to get a 5th/6th year then have to sit another year to use it. We'd have some 8th year seniors across the country

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Currie & Marshall entered the portal after year end meetings with the coaches, so I’m sure the coaches expected it.  Marshall’s last couple minutes against BG was all they gave us combined last year (and Marshall followed that up with zero points and 5 fouls against Buffalo).   We never counted on Reece coming back.  It’s a big opportunity to add better players 

• Like 1