2021-2022 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

If there was ever a year that empty roster spots were valuable this is it with the explosion of the transfer portal.  I think Marshall is a loss.  Edwards redshirted then hardly played so he wasn't ever going to be much of a factor.  Giving Currie the benefit of the doubt, at best he was a just a bad fit.  I always assumed Reece was moving on.   All in all, I am not losing sleep over any of the losses as none of them are irreplaceable.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If there was ever a year that empty roster spots were valuable this is it with the explosion of the transfer portal.  I think Marshall is a loss.  Edwards redshirted then hardly played so he wasn't ever going to be much of a factor.  Giving Currie the benefit of the doubt, as best he was a just a bad fit.  I always assumed Reece was moving on.   All in all, I am not losing sleep over any of the losses as none of them are irreplaceable.

Perfect summation of the situation. 

Do we know the transfer/open-roster-spots situations around the MAC? I'd imagine teams like Buffalo and OU won't have much room to add without some end-of-bench turnover. I don't care what PCCC does as long as they have Pinky at the helm. Toledo will return to obscurity with their veteran roster departing (keep an eye on any shady tactics from Coach K). 

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Do we know the transfer/open-roster-spots situations around the MAC? I'd imagine teams like Buffalo and OU won't have much room to add without some end-of-bench turnover.

Ohio had one senior, and one incoming freshman.  The senior (Dwight Wilson) is using the free COVID year and returning but his scholarship won’t count against the limit. The Bobcats have had 3 transfers out so far. Rifen Miguel Mason McMurray and Nolan Foster. All three played sparingly, but all were bigs.  I’d imagine Boals will have a few incoming transfers (or late signing freshmen) to fill those three roster spots.

• Thanks 1

LCJ is the champ!

I'll miss that damn kid!

That was more fun than it should have been.  It was also fun watching all of the players there, male and female, from different teams, all rooting for each other.

LCK mentioning how fun it was to beat LIttleson again was too funny.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

LCJ is the champ!

I'll miss that damn kid!

That was more fun than it should have been.  It was also fun watching all of the players there, male and female, from different teams, all rooting for each other.

LCK mentioning how fun it was to beat LIttleson again was too funny.

What a cool moment and well deserved!

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm getting more and more excited about this class.  Hoping the small Ohio HS success translates quickly for Mitchell and Johnson.  Kalle looks solid as well.  We'll definitely need immediate contributions from these guys.

2 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

I'm getting more and more excited about this class.  Hoping the small Ohio HS success translates quickly for Mitchell and Johnson.  Kalle looks solid as well.  We'll definitely need immediate contributions from these guys.

This is Groce's first legitimate class. Other years have been littered with transfers, but this is his first true freshman class. I'm stoked. I think the program is the healthiest it's been in years talent wise. 

36 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

With the P5 teams emphasizing recruiting of transfers, the availability of talented freshmen should be at an all time high for mid-majors?

That's true, but it only works if you're able to retain the players otherwise you're just a minor league system for a bigger school.

51 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

38% 3pt shooter last year. Looks like he could contribute quite a bit, he was recruited well out of high school.

Rivals dot com had him listed as a 3-star recruit with offers from Wichita State, Valpo, UTEP, UIC, Tulsa, Missouri, Milwaukee, Miami-O, Loyola (Chicago), KSUcks, Iowa State, Drake, and, of course, USF.

• Like 1