2021-2022 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

32 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The kid looks like a player.  NIce shot, good handle, good vision and distributes the ball well.  Also an All-Conference Academic Team as a freshman. Definitely looks like a rotation player.  It's also a move that puts Tribble more at the 2.

Kid was a solid MM recruit out of high school w/pure PG skills but as numbers show at the Big East level just barely a double-digit scorer. A 'pass-first' or 'program'  PG is often the terms used but should be a bit better than that in the MAC. This indicates Groce is looking to have some high-scoring wings and perhaps a big number 4-man to go with him.

• Like 2

Big get. Groce loves his guards, and this kid looks like the type of player that will thrive in Groce's system.

LCJ posted this transfer to his IG. I wonder if they know each other?

I'd still like a 6'7"-6'8" Stretch Forward transfer, but we are going to be an absolute unit next year with our guards and front court. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Email to ZipsNation from Coach Groce-

Zips Nation,

I am writing to you as we push toward the end of our academic year and look forward to a proper offseason of training for the 2021 – 2022 season. We are excited at the prospect of being able to play in the JAR arena in front of you, our most loyal fans and season ticket holders.

We are equally excited to share an opportunity to invest in Akron Men’s Basketball through the Akron Athletics Day of Giving ’21 on April 21st. This year, we are aiming to raise at least $10,000 to invest in the academics, off-season training, and leadership development for our young roster this summer. This programming will set the tone for our team as we learn, grow, and work together.

The grit and tenacity the team showed last season was truly remarkable. They rose to every occasion through clouds of uncertainty and played with pride for our university. I am asking you to rise with us by visiting this link and contributing to our day of giving goal.

Thank you for your consideration and continuous support as we represent the Blue and Gold. Go Zips!

John Groce

Head Men’s Basketball Coach

19 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Email to ZipsNation from Coach Groce-

Zips Nation,

I am writing to you as we push toward the end of our academic year and look forward to a proper offseason of training for the 2021 – 2022 season. We are excited at the prospect of being able to play in the JAR arena in front of you, our most loyal fans and season ticket holders.

We are equally excited to share an opportunity to invest in Akron Men’s Basketball through the Akron Athletics Day of Giving ’21 on April 21st. This year, we are aiming to raise at least $10,000 to invest in the academics, off-season training, and leadership development for our young roster this summer. This programming will set the tone for our team as we learn, grow, and work together.

The grit and tenacity the team showed last season was truly remarkable. They rose to every occasion through clouds of uncertainty and played with pride for our university. I am asking you to rise with us by visiting this link and contributing to our day of giving goal.

Thank you for your consideration and continuous support as we represent the Blue and Gold. Go Zips!

John Groce

Head Men’s Basketball Coach

I donated yesterday. You can specify that the donation goes to Men's Basketball.

3 hours ago, jupitertoo said:

Does $10,000 sound like an awfully small amount to anyone else?  How about $100K?

I was thinking the same.  

I suppose it adds up if each respective varsity sport is trying to raise 10K.  But Idk if that's the case or not.

Anyway, 10K for men's basketball sounds like something a high school would shoot for.

I think he will enjoy it at Harding and expect him to have a positive impact on the teams performance.

Interestingly, I'm certain that their coach and athletic director will never have any serious disagreements; any disagreements for that matter since both positions are held by the same individual.

I actually didn't think he looked bad on the court in the very limited time he got....just not a fit for the team apparently and who knows what happened behind the scenes.

Take my opinions on bigs with a grain of salt, I was also higher on Kostelac than others too.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

I actually didn't think he looked bad on the court in the very limited time he got....just not a fit for the team apparently and who knows what happened behind the scenes.

Take my opinions on bigs with a grain of salt, I was also higher on Kostelac than others too.

At least Currie didn't leave with a broken jaw.  So moving in the right direction.