2021-2022 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 11:14 PM, 1981 grad said:

I am glad we got K.J.  A player that does not shoot the 3 ball.  I like him already.  However, it just not feel right to be poaching a player from another MAC team.  How would we feel if our LCJ decided to transfer to Kent for his senior season last year?    We are going to see a lot of transfers in the future so no complaints when it is our turn to lose a quality player.

Maybe Sac State should take a look in the mirror at why one of their top players is coming to Akron.

Plus, LCJ's IQ is at least 100 pts too high for KSUcks. Never worried for a second. 

On 5/4/2021 at 8:14 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Bubba transferred to OU. No one died. It was fun to booo and heckle him.

He almost did with his flop at the end of this. I remember hearing his body/head hitting the JAR floor.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 6:18 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Per VerbalCommits dot com Tre Edwards is transferring to UMBC.

Former Zip video coordinator from 2017-2021 Evann Baker was recently hired as an assistant there.

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Per VerbalCommits dot com Cam Reece is transferring to Pacific.

Must've wanted to finish up closer to home. Now playing for Damon Stoudamire.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, NWAkron said:

You can live really well in Ravenna on that salary.

Comme ci, Comme ca.

This can be looked at two ways, considering his base salary: 1) At Kent, you get what you pay for, considering, I believe,  most base salaries in the MAC are over $300,000. ...

Or, 2) RS is hitting above his weight considering his overall record, MAC overall record and vs. Akron record combined. The guy still hasn't had a losing record overall or in MAC or a losing season overall, or in the MAC  even w/losing slate to Akron... and does have 1 NCAA appearance. His non-con schedules aren't overly daunting, but still competitive and (sans the last few Groce years) arguably better than the KD years.

Definitely say true Zips fans would take Groce over RS, and Ohio fans would take Boals over RS, but judging from the cries on the UB board, and Toledo board and BG board about their coaches,  one would suspect RS would get strong (but not unanimous) consideration as a replacement at those stops, much less the rest of the league.

Like I said, Comme ci, comme sa.

In the end Kent is getting what it pays for,  RS is overall hitting above its weight ... but he still struggles to compare/compete with the Zips.

Edited by RoyalBlu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RoyalBlu said:

Comme ci, Comme ca.

This can be looked at two ways, considering his base salary: 1) At Kent, you get what you pay for, considering, I believe,  most base salaries in the MAC are over $300,000. ...

Or, 2) RS is hitting above his weight considering his overall record, MAC overall record and vs. Akron record combined. The guy still hasn't had a losing record overall or in MAC or a losing season overall, or in the MAC  even w/losing slate to Akron... and does have 1 NCAA appearance. His non-con schedules aren't overly daunting, but still competitive and (sans the last few Groce years) arguably better than the KD years.

Definitely say true Zips fans would take Groce over RS, and Ohio fans would take Boals over RS, but judging from the cries on the UB board, and Toledo board and BG board about their coaches,  one would suspect RS would get strong (but not unanimous) consideration as a replacement at those stops, much less the rest of the league.

Like I said, Comme ci, comme sa.

In the end Kent is getting what it pays for,  RS is overall hitting above its weight ... but he still struggles to compare/compete with the Zips.

My comment was more of an inside joke for Clark.  I refer to KSU as Ravenna State or PCCC at Ravenna.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 8:12 AM, Hilltopper said:

Couple of things;

1st thought: ROAD TRIP! Avenge the 2016 choke job.

2nd thought: OSUcks is staying very close to home for the majority of this schedule. I wonder if we'll see something similar for our schedule, or if we'll have to branch out and travel more. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 8:12 AM, Hilltopper said:

Couple of things;

Couple of other things;

I used to think the Zips were slow publishing their OOC schedule, but compared to Suckeyes just getting their 2020-21 OOC schedule out makes the Zips seem really speedy.

I could have sworn they played a BIG only schedule last season. 

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Haha 1

I found the following par of the article a little odd-

As for replacing Jackson, it comes down to Garvin Clarke, Bryan Tribble and freshman Nate Johnson.

“Those three, plus Xavier Castaneda,” Groce said, “so we’re still a work in progress.”

Strange that GT wouldn't just write all 4 of them into the sentence.

I am 100% excited about the Zips upcoming seasons in football and basketball.  90% excited about hoops and 10% about football.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2