2021-2022 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

On 9/30/2021 at 9:28 AM, Hilltopper said:

Freeman F

Ali W

Castaneda PG

Trimble G

Walton W

I think this will prove to be spot-freaking-on. The depth on this team is pretty incredible, considering the state of the program when Groce took over. Being able to bring Wynn, Tribble, Clarke, and Bandaogo off the bench is massive - that's two guards and a winger with solid size and experience. I think Castaneda will be the key to the team's success this year. We needed someone to replace LCJ as the floor general, and from what I've seen out of Castaneda, he's the perfect guy to do it.

Biggest questions for me...

1) Does Freeman replicate last year's unbelievable individual production?

2) Do we get much-needed outside scoring from either of the incoming freshman guards - Johnson and/or Mitchell?

3) What seed will we be in the NCAA Tournament?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think this will prove to be spot-freaking-on. The depth on this team is pretty incredible, considering the state of the program when Groce took over. Being able to bring Wynn, Tribble, Clarke, and Bandaogo off the bench is massive - that's two guards and a winger with solid size and experience. I think Castaneda will be the key to the team's success this year. We needed someone to replace LCJ as the floor general, and from what I've seen out of Castaneda, he's the perfect guy to do it.

Biggest questions for me...

1) Does Freeman replicate last year's unbelievable individual production?

2) Do we get much-needed outside scoring from either of the incoming freshman guards - Johnson and/or Mitchell?

3) What seed will we be in the NCAA Tournament?

Freeman's numbers should tic up a bit both scoring and rebounding but not at the expense of his incredible defense ... scoring is relative. This team will score. It may not 'shoot' like some people hope, but I have no doubt this team will 'score'. ... Seed? A pumpkin seed for Cinderella.???

19 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

Freeman's numbers should tic up a bit both scoring and rebounding but not at the expense of his incredible defense ... scoring is relative. This team will score. It may not 'shoot' like some people hope, but I have no doubt this team will 'score'. ... Seed? A pumpkin seed for Cinderella.???

I agree they'll score. Our guards & wingers are mainly slashers/people who can get to the hoop, and we have a large front court. At some point, we're going to have to make jump shots. Who will be our shooter(s)?

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I agree they'll score. Our guards & wingers are mainly slashers/people who can get to the hoop, and we have a large front court. At some point, we're going to have to make jump shots. Who will be our shooter(s)?

Trimble obviously.  Ali can shoot it but I wouldn't say he's a three point shooter.  Same for Dawson.  Castaneda shot almost 39% on three pointers last year, which would have been second only to Trimble on the Zips.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Trimble obviously.  Ali can shoot it but I wouldn't say he's a three point shooter.  Same for Dawson.  Castaneda shot almost 39% on three pointers last year, which would have been second only to Trimble on the Zips.

I didn't realize Trimble shot that well. 

image.png

• Like 1

Walton won’t be a starter. This team will be versatile there’s a big line up I think we’ll see a little bit with Aziz and Freeman imagine trying to score in the paint against those 2. Castaneda will be our starting PG though I’m hearing Clarke will play less than he did last season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

Walton won’t be a starter. This team will be versatile there’s a big line up I think we’ll see a little bit with Aziz and Freeman imagine trying to score in the paint against those 2. Castaneda will be our starting PG though I’m hearing Clarke will play less than he did last season. 

Who would you venture to pencil into our starting lineup in lieu of Walton?  Dawson?

PG - Castaneda    

W - Dawson

W - Trimble

P - Ali

P - Freeman

11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Who would you venture to pencil into our starting lineup in lieu of Walton?  Dawson?

PG - Castaneda    

W - Dawson

W - Trimble

P - Ali

P - Freeman

An All-MAC player who decided to transfer here to not be a starter would be quite the surprise.........I'd bet a lot against it.

• Like 5

On 10/6/2021 at 1:56 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Sekou is LONG. 

Kalle is very much the wild card for this team.  We'll discover if the UCLA and Rutgers offers were real or make believe.  I notice his weight is now listed as 225, while a year ago it was 180.  👀

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Kalle is very much the wild card for this team.  We'll discover if the UCLA and Rutgers offers were real or make believe.  I notice his weight is now listed as 225, while a year ago it was 180.  👀

Word on the street - not a personal observation - is the big African is the real deal, OFFENSIVELY, which would certainly add a new element to Groce's offense since I can't remember him ever having a solid offensive post player at OU or Akron - though he did have one at Illinois. Have also  heard some ??? things about a couple of other players but won't share those until I see for myself (or hear directly from coaches).

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, RoyalBlu said:

Word on the street - not a personal observation - is the big African is the real deal, OFFENSIVELY, which would certainly add a new element to Groce's offense since I can't remember him ever having a solid offensive post player at OU or Akron - though he did have one at Illinois. Have also  heard some ??? things about a couple of other players but won't share those until I see for myself (or hear directly from coaches).

heard the same about Aziz