Western Michigan

https://gozips.com/news/2021/4/14/mens-soccer-akron-and-western-michigan-battle-to-a-0-0-double-ot-draw.aspx

Senior GK Will Meyer (Solon, Ohio) was stellar in net for the Zips recording three saves, and numerous punch-outs in the box to thwart shot attempts by the Broncos. Isaac Walker pulled in four stops for Western Michigan.

"It is an opportunity lost when you look at the standings," Embick said. "It's a tremendous effort. When you look at our situation with four subs and a lot of them are guys that don't play a lot. They're guys that are here for the future. They had to play a lot of minutes and they're not fully fit. It was a lot of heart. I don't want to call it an opportunity lost because I know where we're at. I want to praise the determination and the effort to try to get the win."

My post shows what is mathematically possible without any reference to likelihood. It's been a rough season, with much happening outside of the team's control. Those who were available to play last night didn't show any signs of giving up. So, I'll just say ... GO ZIPS!, hope we get some players back on Sunday, and take care of our part of the equation.

• Like 1

@bigzipguy I did. I can't realistically see that happening given current RPI, limited number of teams in the tournament, and not enough games to establish a resume for it.

For anyone wondering about goal differential, this is what I came up with as far as current goal differential in MAC games played. Please feel free to check my numbers. If the Zips win and Falcons lose on Sunday, we would be no worse than tied on goal differential in conference games since a team obviously cannot win or lose by less than 1 goal.

image.png

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Thanks 1

The backline has been a grave disappointment.  A veteran group giving up three goals in a half?  Also, our recruiting classes have been missing top shelf talent as of late.  Good, solid "Akron-types," but no recruits that have a chance to play MLS after a year or two in a Zips uni.  We will get things straightened out.  I have faith in this staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1