Indiana Hoosiers MSOC

In the dark times Akron Zips MSOC is currently facing, and the apparent tough road ahead, it is instructive to compare ourselves to the gold standard in NCAA MSOC. 

Hoosiers are what Zips aspire to be.

CHAMPIONSHIP BOUND! No. 2 Indiana Upends No. 3 Pittsburgh - Indiana University Athletics (iuhoosiers.com)

The Final on Monday will be the 16th for Hoosiers.  They already have 8 stars on their jerseys.

What behaviors practiced by Indiana can be duplicated in Akron?  

Edited by fknbuflobo

Did you see who Indiana is facing on Monday.

The Marshall Thundering Herd

Marshall is 12-2-3 this season. With 7 Top 25 wins (1-1 with #1 and 1 seed Clemson, 7-6 PK win), and losses to Akron and WVU. Marshall hasn't lost since March 24th.

Marshall's March To The Title Game

#23 and unseeded Fordham- Undefeated coming into the NCAAs -- Marshall 2-1 in OT, Golden Goal by Milo Yosef at the 96:41 mark of the first OT
#1 and 1 seed Clemson- The top ranked team in the nation at 14-2-3 -- Marshall 1 Clemson 1 after 2 OT -- Marshall advances on PKs 7-6
#7 and 8 seed Georgetown- Georgetown was the Defending National Champions -- Marshall 1-0, Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 20:05 mark in the 2nd period
#16 and unseeded North Carolina- UNC had made the College Cup semis the last 3 of 4 years -- Marshall 1-0, Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 30:22 mark in the 2nd period

Marshall is coached by Chris Grassie who in my opinion is one of the top coaches in the country. This isn't his 1st College Cup or College Cup Final. He has 6 College Cups and 3 College Cup finals. Four of the College Cups and 2 College Cup Finals took place while the head coach of the University of Charleston (DII) the other was as an asst in Ann Arbor in 2010 at Michigan. So he was on the other side of the Akron national title run.

The Grassie File

University of Charleston HC for 6 years
WVIAC/MEC Coach of the Year 4 times
99-20-8 Record
6 WVIAC/MEC Titles
1 Sweet 16
2 Elite 8
1 Final 4
2 Title Games

Marshall University (4th year)
CUSA Coach of the Year 2 times
45-24-11 (29-5-6 in the last 2 years)
2 CUSA Ttiles
19 Ranked Wins (Beat #1 Clemson on PKs)
2 NCAAs
1 Sweet 16
1 College Cup Final (Season Not Over)
15 straight weeks in the Top 25 (Currently #10, Highest Rank #8)

Edited by BigGreenTruck
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

To those on the board who know soccer.  

On a scale of 1-to-10, "0" being ice-cold, and "10" being hot, should Jared's seat be turned up to a "1"?

Maybe a 1, maybe not, but no real jeopardy.  Embick has earned a whole lot of time to course correct.  But the road ahead will not be an easy one, not in the slightest.  More likely Embick looks for greener pastures before he ever is shown the door.  Jared turning down Louisville to stay in Akron in early 2019 pretty much granted him lifetime immunity among Zips faithful.  And who are we going to get that is better?  I say it’s Embick’s mess; let him be the one to clean it up.

Realistically, Akron is in no position to dismiss any HC of any sport - barring a Grand Jury Indictment!

• Like 3

I don't think it's Embick's mess. It's the university's and the AD's. Embick is getting poor support for a program that considers itself in the top 5 in the country. He has had a volunteer coach taken away, a director of administration taken away. The university refused to honor scholarships this past season for seniors who were granted an extra year to play this spring. The soccer alumni funded those scholarships. Recruiting and travel budgets have been cut 20%. Jared is a better coach than this situation deserves. Yet he has hung in there. He is human and has made mistakes, but he is a fantastic asset for us and he will win if supported. Make no mistake, he wants to be at Akron. Just support him. That $100,000 spent by Miller to find the AD who reported to him at UWGB could have done wonders for our premier sport.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I don't think it's Embick's mess. It's the university's and the AD's. Embick is getting poor support for a program that considers itself in the top 5 in the country. He has had a volunteer coach taken away, a director of administration taken away. The university refused to honor scholarships this past season for seniors who were granted an extra year to play this spring. The soccer alumni funded those scholarships. Recruiting and travel budgets have been cut 20%. Jared is a better coach than this situation deserves. Yet he has hung in there. He is human and has made mistakes, but he is a fantastic asset for us and he will win if supported. Make no mistake, he wants to be at Akron. Just support him. That $100,000 spent by Miller to find the AD who reported to him at UWGB could have done wonders for our premier sport.

I will not argue against any of your points!  Excellent rant!  I am absolutely pleased I touched a nerve!  God knows I can feel it, myself!  Damn it!  Now I am getting pissed off again!🥵

On 5/16/2021 at 11:44 PM, BigGreenTruck said:

Did you see who Indiana is facing on Monday.

The Marshall Thundering Herd

Marshall is 12-2-3 this season. With 7 Top 25 wins (1-1 with #1 and 1 seed Clemson, 7-6 PK win), and losses to Akron and WVU. Marshall hasn't lost since March 24th.

Marshall's March To The Title Game

#23 and unseeded Fordham- Undefeated coming into the NCAAs -- Marshall 2-1 in OT, Golden Goal by Milo Yosef at the 96:41 mark of the first OT
#1 and 1 seed Clemson- The top ranked team in the nation at 14-2-3 -- Marshall 1 Clemson 1 after 2 OT -- Marshall advances on PKs 7-6
#7 and 8 seed Georgetown- Georgetown was the Defending National Champions -- Marshall 1-0, Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 20:05 mark in the 2nd period
#16 and unseeded North Carolina- UNC had made the College Cup semis the last 3 of 4 years -- Marshall 1-0, Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 30:22 mark in the 2nd period

Marshall is coached by Chris Grassie who in my opinion is one of the top coaches in the country. This isn't his 1st College Cup or College Cup Final. He has 6 College Cups and 3 College Cup finals. Four of the College Cups and 2 College Cup Finals took place while the head coach of the University of Charleston (DII) the other was as an asst in Ann Arbor in 2010 at Michigan. So he was on the other side of the Akron national title run.

The Grassie File

University of Charleston HC for 6 years
WVIAC/MEC Coach of the Year 4 times
99-20-8 Record
6 WVIAC/MEC Titles
1 Sweet 16
2 Elite 8
1 Final 4
2 Title Games

Marshall University (4th year)
CUSA Coach of the Year 2 times
45-24-11 (29-5-6 in the last 2 years)
2 CUSA Ttiles
19 Ranked Wins (Beat #1 Clemson on PKs)
2 NCAAs
1 Sweet 16
1 College Cup Final (Season Not Over)
15 straight weeks in the Top 25 (Currently #10, Highest Rank #8)

This may be the most timely and informative singular post ever on this forum.  Congratulations, Thundering Herd!

• Like 1

Marshall was clearly the better team and deserved to win. Kudos to them, and yay to another non-P5 winning a team National Championship.

In the last five minutes of the second half last night, the commentator referenced Indiana, Akron, and Maryland as the "hallowed grounds" of college soccer. It's awesome to be recognized in this way, and it's certainly been true in the past 15 years; however, I think UNC, UVA, and Stanford could make as much or more of a claim to such a distinction than us.

College soccer is arguably the 4th most recognized sport for winning a National Championship behind football, men's basketball, and women's basketball, so one has to wonder if other mid-major AD's are taking a look at Akron and Marshall and thinking it wise to compete in men's soccer. It only takes a top notch coaching hire to compete with the P5's and win a National Championship. For all Cincinnati's success in football and men's basketball, they've only ever won two team National Championships, and those were in the early 60's in back-to-back years, so essentially the same team won two titles before the modern era.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Marshall was clearly the better team and deserved to win. Kudos to them, and yay to another non-P5 winning a team National Championship.

In the last five minutes of the second half last night, the commentator referenced Indiana, Akron, and Maryland as the "hallowed grounds" of college soccer. It's awesome to be recognized in this way, and it's certainly been true in the past 15 years; however, I think UNC, UVA, and Stanford could make as much or more of a claim to such a distinction than us.

College soccer is arguably the 4th most recognized sport for winning a National Championship behind football, men's basketball, and women's basketball, so one has to wonder if other mid-major AD's are taking a look at Akron and Marshall and thinking it wise to compete in men's soccer. It only takes a top notch coaching hire to compete with the P5's and win a National Championship. For all Cincinnati's success in football and men's basketball, they've only ever won two team National Championships, and those were in the early 60's in back-to-back years, so essentially the same team won two titles before the modern era.

This was only the 2nd time Marshall has been in the NCAA Tournament. The first time was in 2019 as an 11 seed and a Sweet 16. Marshall beat WVU in the 2nd round 2-1 in front of 2,121 (standing room only as Hoops Family Field holds 1006) only to fall 4-1 and 6 seed Washington. Marshall didn't have a proper soccer facility until 2013. They played on a field pushed up against Joan C Edwards stadium from 1993 to 2012. That is when Hoops Family Field at Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex opened.

Coach Grassie plays a style I don't think Ive really ever seen before. He plays a deep position ball control with an attacking front when he has numbers. He has stated his goal is to wear the other team out and let them make the mistake. Our defense and GKer only allowed 7 goals on the season and no more than 1 in regulation. Oliver Semmle also had 12 Clean Sheets (the most in the country).

As far as mid major ADs thinking on soccer, I don't think that is gonna change. When at their school, soccer is probably the last and worst sport on their totem pole. Its much easier to just cut the sport rather than invest in it. I can remember back to the spring of 2011 when the AD at Marshall showed plans to build a soccer complex. It was met with "Why", "Do you really need to spend money on that", "That money should be spent on football and basketball", and other comments. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigGreenTruck said:

As far as mid major ADs thinking on soccer, I don't think that is gonna change. When at their school, soccer is probably the last and worst sport on their totem pole. Its much easier to just cut the sport rather than invest in it. I can remember back to the spring of 2011 when the AD at Marshall showed plans to build a soccer complex. It was met with "Why", "Do you really need to spend money on that", "That money should be spent on football and basketball", and other comments. 

Because it's now more evident than ever that via a relatively small investment in facilities and a coach, your non-P5 brand and university can be featured on national tv winning a National Championship against a Big Ten team and perrenial powerhouse. To me, that's better than playing in a no-name bowl game or the NIT every year. Even if it doesn't get the alumni as excited, the exposure is better. Winning a game in the NCAA basketball tournament is about the only realistic thing that tops this achievement, but in Akron's case, we literally have one more men's soccer national championship than we do NCAAT wins in basketball. When or how else would Akron or Marshall win a D-1 team national championship?

I live out-of-state, and when I tell people that I went to Akron, if nothing else, they know our powerful soccer brand. That's a great return on investment.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

I will not argue against any of your points!  Excellent rant!  I am absolutely pleased I touched a nerve!  God knows I can feel it, myself!  Damn it!  Now I am getting pissed off again!🥵

Sorry to get you pissed off again. I love your posts. We need to support this program, and all Zip programs, that reach excellence. We also need to expect excellence of the ones that aren't there. I'd tell the coaches you are either on the way to excellence or on the way out, you decide. Now go have a beer and lower that BP.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 5:30 PM, UAZipster0305 said:

Because it's now more evident than ever that via a relatively small investment in facilities and a coach, your non-P5 brand and university can be featured on national tv winning a National Championship against a Big Ten team and perrenial powerhouse. To me, that's better than playing in a no-name bowl game or the NIT every year. Even if it doesn't get the alumni as excited, the exposure is better. Winning a game in the NCAA basketball tournament is about the only realistic thing that tops this achievement, but in Akron's case, we literally have one more men's soccer national championship than we do NCAAT wins in basketball. When or how else would Akron or Marshall win a D-1 team national championship?

I live out-of-state, and when I tell people that I went to Akron, if nothing else, they know our powerful soccer brand. That's a great return on investment.

But for most ADs its is easier and more convenient to cut the dead weight, rather invest in it and not get a return for a decade or so. Im glad our AD took the stand to invest in a soccer stadium in 2011. Hoops Family Field opened in 2013. Our AD invested in something a lot of Marshall fans questioned. He then hired what was the best DII HC in the nation in 2017. That investment paid of with a National Championship within 8 years.

Soccer was on the chopping block in 2003. Marshall had to cut a men's sport to be Title IX compliant. Men's soccer was right to be in the discussion to be cut. Even then Marshall only had 9 winning seasons from 1979-2003. The day before it was to be cut the Huntington Herold-Dispatch and Charleston Daily Mail and Gazette were "anonymously" tipped off (Asst AD at the time and former soccer player at Marshall). After about a month of pressure from the Huntington community, the soccer community and enough bad publicity from the 3 papers the AD had enough pressure he couldn't cut soccer. Ultimately men's track and field was cut.

The Marshall BOG had an emergency meeting today to give Chris Grassie a new contract.

Marshall BOG Approves New Contract

1,878,750 for 5 years

or

375,750 pr year

• Like 3