2021 Fall Zips Men's Soccer Schedule

Thanks to @TennZip for doing the research to get this thread started:

Home:

August 15 - Xavier (Exhibition)  5 pm (Sunday)

September 10 - Indiana  7 pm (Friday)

October 7 - Georgia Southern*  7 pm (Thursday)

October 13 - Penn State  TBA (Wednesday)

Away:

September 15 - at Ohio State 7 pm (Wednesday)

September 21 - at Marshall 7 pm (Tuesday)

*MAC 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looking at Georgia Southern's schedule page, it appears the MAC Men's Soccer Tournament may be returning this Fall.

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 6.33.09 PM.png

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Akron is really going to have a great RPI next year if they are able to win games.

On September 21, Akron will play at Marshall (the defending national champion)

what we know so far...regular season home games against Indiana and Penn State.

Road games at Marshall and Ohio State

shaping up to be a great schedule...Go, Zips !!!

https://herdzone.com/news/2021/7/1/mens-soccer-2020-national-champion-mens-soccer-announces-2021-fall-schedule.aspx

On 6/29/2021 at 6:34 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Looking at Georgia Southern's schedule page, it appears the MAC Men's Soccer Tournament may be returning this Fall.

They're new so I'll give them a break - understandably they don't yet understand the difference between Akron and Cleveland :-)

Assuming the MAC returns to usual scheduling and looking at MAC home and away games in 2019, the schedule thus far looks like:

Home:

October 23 - BGSU*  7 pm (Saturday)

TBA - Georgia State*

Away:

September 21 - at Marshall 7 pm (Tuesday)

TBA - at WMU*

TBA - at NIU*

TBA -  at WVU*

*MAC 

Edited by Zip_ME87

BGSU released their schedule today...

they play at Akron on October 23...which is not the reverse of what happened in 2019

if I am reading the BG schedule correctly, they host Georgia State on October 7 and Georgia Southern on October 9

we know that Akron hosts Georgia Southern on October 7.....Will Georgia State want to stay in Ohio and play the zips on October 9 or October 10?

personally, I do not like having only 2 days between matches (not enough time for the players to recover).  Also, the zips have a tough home game on October 13 (3 matches in 6 day period ...will lead to injuries.)

with Covid still in the picture, I am very surprised to see BGSU traveling across the country to play Gonzaga.

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2021/7/2/mens-soccer-defending-mac-champions-announce-2021-schedule.aspx

Home:

October 23 - Bowling Green * (Saturday)

TBA - one additional MAC home game *

Away:

TBA - at 3 MAC road games *

*MAC 

On 6/29/2021 at 6:34 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Yes, this announcement was made a couple months ago. https://www.record-courier.com/story/sports/college/2021/05/07/mac-has-reinstated-its-postseason-tourney-schedule-2020-21/4988094001/

• Thanks 1

“At my direction, I asked our championship staff to create models of how we could return our postseason events,” said MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher in a press release. “Conference tournaments are pinnacle events that provide lifetime memories for those involved. I am pleased we are able to reinstate these events for the student-athletes.”

"The MAC is one of the only Division I conferences in the nation that's not hosting baseball and softball tournaments in 2021."

Huh???

Akron will play a MAC conference game at West Virginia on Thursday September 30

https://wvusports.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule

Home:

Away:

September 30 - At West Virginia * (Thursday)

TBA - at 2 MAC road games *

*MAC 

I am very impressed by the new athletic director...

one...he is on social media

two....he is promoting zips soccer

three....he tells us the date for the zips regular season opener

thank you....Charles Guthrie

Home:

August 26 - Wright State (regular season opener) 7 pm (Thursday)

Away:

September 30 - At West Virginia * (Thursday)

TBA - at 2 MAC road games *

*MAC 

• Like 4

the official schedule is out  !!!!

what does everyone think.....one month and 2 days from now...the first exhibition game

3 of last year's college cup teams on the schedule

as promised, lots of home games

https://gozips.com/news/2021/7/12/mens-soccer-akron-announces-2021-mens-soccer-schedule.aspx

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 8:05 PM, Spin said:

“At my direction, I asked our championship staff to create models of how we could return our postseason events,” said MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher in a press release. “Conference tournaments are pinnacle events that provide lifetime memories for those involved. I am pleased we are able to reinstate these events for the student-athletes.”

"The MAC is one of the only Division I conferences in the nation that's not hosting baseball and softball tournaments in 2021."

Huh???

I thought I read on the MAC website a few months back that there will be a 4-team tourney for both sports next Spring hosted by the higher seeded team?  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, TennZip said:

the official schedule is out  !!!!

what does everyone think.....one month and 2 days from now...the first exhibition game

3 of last year's college cup teams on the schedule

as promised, lots of home games

https://gozips.com/news/2021/7/12/mens-soccer-akron-announces-2021-mens-soccer-schedule.aspx

I cannot recall a more competitive schedule in program history.  I hope the Zips are up for it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

https://collegesoccernews.com/college-soccer-news-2021-preseason-top-30-mens-college-soccer-national-poll/

This Zips team....with 13 new comers ......is going to have to prove themselves to the so called soccer experts.     The zips did not receive a single vote in the college soccer news top 30.

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-di-men/

The zips received 1 point (a 25th place vote) when the US soccer coaches did their pre season poll.

The zips will step on the field as decided under dogs in several games this year.    Diogo, Jason, Will Jackson, Carlo, Daniel, Dyson, Will Portman, Renato Kauzlaric, Ryan Kingsford, Malik Henry , Tobias Bak . Wan Kuzri, a very talented goal keeper and the 22 other zips are going to have to prove that they are top 25 team to their opponents and the US soccer coaches.

That being said, Wright State is a quality team.    The zips need a big crowd for the home opener on August 26 and this unproven team needs to get a home win and a road win at E. Lansing.   START PROVING IT on Aug 26 and Aug. 29......Soccer Zips.

Looking down the road, both polls have last year's college cup semifinalist Pitt ranked at #3.   The first article says that Pitt returns 10 out of 11 starters from that high powered offensive team.   Not sure when the students return........but the zips marketing department......needs to be working overtime....to get the AK rowdies out in force for that game.    Cub Cadet Field at FES.....needs to be packed for that Akron - Pittsburgh game

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like this team. I’ve met all but one of them now and will meet the remaining 2021 recruit tomorrow night. 

I challenge them to put ‘21 up on our NCAA Tournament banner. We haven’t had a year there since ‘18. I want to be with our team in Cary, NC in December 2021. Go Zips!!!

• Like 2