Game 1 - Auburn

Zipmeister

13 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Can someone make up a quiz for today?

How many yards rushing?  Etc.

Ask and ye shall receive........

1.       How many rushing yards will the Zips get against Auburn?

a.       Negative

b.      0-50

c.       More than 50

2.       How many passes will the Zip’s complete against Auburn?

a.       None

b.      1-3

c.       More than 3

3.       How many points will Auburn score against the Zips?

a.       40-50

b.      50-60

c.       More than 60

4.       In which state is Auburn located?

a.       Florida

b.      California

c.       Somewhere else

5.       How many quarterbacks will Auburn play today?

a.       2

b.       3

c.       More than 3

14 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

a.       Negative

b.      0-50

c.       More than 50

a.       None

b.      1-3

c.       More than 3

a.       40-50

b.      50-60

c.       More than 60

a.       Florida

b.      California

c.       Somewhere else

a.       2

b.       3

c.       More than 3

1) c

2) c

3) b

4) c

5) b

3 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Wow, it's game day and the program has sunk to such a low that there is zero enthusiasm. No Thursday predictions and not an iota of hope that the Zips can compete today.

Re: Dollard, I understand the disappointment, but it makes me genuinely sad to see another young man full of potential throw his life away. 

Zero enthusiasm?  I disagree.  I will leave out the coaches and players.  However, the University, Athletic department, community, and students seem to have zero enthusiasm.  Then, I look at the Zipsnation forum and there has to be a single digit number of supporters that have enthusiasm.  That means there are between 1-9 supporters (I will put the number at 8.) of the program who post in this fantastic forum.  Where are all of the hall of fame posters that have stopped commenting on this board.  Let's awaken the alumni.  

Going off 35 year old memories, I believe Akron’s first “major” D1-A opponent was Auburn. I was watching it on Channel 55. The cameras panned to some Zips fans in the stands with a sign that said “Just let us score.” Probably just as applicable a sign today. Auburn 59-0.

• Sad 1

Watching Zips weekly at noon Saturday.  The tribe postgame on Friday went long and took up most of the Zips program time on Friday evening, so I caught the replay.  I have tried to capture the comments by Arth and list the names that he spoke of; most were not in great detail.  I know that I did not do a great job due to the discussion and my lack of typing skills, but we can use some of these comments to understand the 2 deep.  

OFFENSE

QB - Excited about group of quarterbacks, Arth was a little elusive on on Kato and Gibson after Dunn asked about them.  He said both played 10+ games.  He spoke up and went on regarding Irons, Marousek, and Jankowski as excellent backups with a lot of potential.   

RB - Williams and Norrils were mentioned and they had great off seasons.  

WR - An Exciting group per Arth, Mathison, Qualls, Grimes (earned a scholarship), Andre Williams, Mumpfield (electric player), Singleton (compared to JoJo Natson)

OL - Arth said they were all bigger and stronger, but they (and entire team) needed it.  No names mentioned by Arth, Gray was discussed by Dunn and he stated that he is still a red shirt freshman even though this is his third year. (concept of red shirt and extra year of eligibility has been brought up in the past)

TE - Arth said it is a good group.  Brank has taken an incredible step forward.  Yarmo has really improved.  Ognenovic (transfer) is big and runs well and great leader.  He will take on more responsibility as the season goes. These three guys will get the majority of the playing time.

DEFENSE

Bubba - defensive leader.  taken on a bigger defensive leadership role.   Taken ownership of entire team.

ILB - Bischoff, Boateng, Corner, Snowden (started 2020 season opener and was injured), DiLauro is back and playing at a high level (I think that Dunn skipped over the OLB's and Arth did not comment)

DL - McClain (listed as OLB in Gozips), Wilson, Sy, Scott (listed as OLB), Ryan Johnson, Curtis Fain, Zack Morton (Wade and Hawkins were not mentioned. This is Hawkins' 4th year I believe)

DB - Cochran it starts with him, even with Bubba, he is the standard of a player,  Watts is coming back, no others were mentioned.  

(Overall, I am disappointed at the defensive review, but I thought that Dunn did a poor job of facilitating the discussion, or maybe, the defense will be so bad that there is nothing to talk about)

K - Smigel, Arth loves Corey, Also Finchen will kickoff, Romenick and Slike (super internship, beat out IVY league schools) will battle for punting

To a prior post, I guess Coach Arth has excitement and enthusiasm!!!

Let's all try to catch Zips weekly on TV.  Go Zips!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Going off 35 year old memories, I believe Akron’s first “major” D1-A opponent was Auburn. I was watching it on Channel 55. The cameras panned to some Zips fans in the stands with a sign that said “Just let us score.” Probably just as applicable a sign today. Auburn 59-0.

1988 - Auburn 42, Akron 0

2021 - Auburn 41, Akron 3

Making progress

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

Zero enthusiasm?  I disagree.  I will leave out the coaches and players.  However, the University, Athletic department, community, and students seem to have zero enthusiasm.  Then, I look at the Zipsnation forum and there has to be a single digit number of supporters that have enthusiasm.  That means there are between 1-9 supporters (I will put the number at 8.) of the program who post in this fantastic forum.  Where are all of the hall of fame posters that have stopped commenting on this board.  Let's awaken the alumni.  

I used to post quite a bit  at this site for years. Up until CK, or one of the other mods, banned me for a couple months for calling out Outsider for bashing everything Akron and only being a Bowden family member or fanboy. Looked through some posts here and see he’s still the same while others have left. 

Big UA fan but done with this site. I see a lot of long time posters aren’t here anymore. So few posters yet the mods ban guys over a troll. SMFH. 

Only stopped by here to see if there was any news on the season since the Gozips site has nothing. No current roster or media guide. Ridiculous. 

Edited by Buckzip

27 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

I used to post quite a bit  at this site for years. Up until CK, or one of the other mods, banned me for a couple months for calling out Outsider for bashing everything Akron and only being a Bowden family member or fanboy. Looked through some posts here and see he’s still the same while others have left. 

Big UA fan but done with this site. I see a lot of long time posters aren’t here anymore. So few posters yet the mods ban guys over a troll. SMFH. 

Only stopped by here to see if there was any news on the season since the Gozips site has nothing. No current roster or media guide. Ridiculous. 

Don't know if you are a hall of fame poster.  If so, stay on the site and put your history and knowledge to good use.  If the Suckeyes are number one for you, then I wish you good luck and it is time to move on.  We will ultimately win with or without the current fan base.  

4 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Don't know if you are a hall of fame poster.  If so, stay on the site and put your history and knowledge to good use.  If the Suckeyes are number one for you, then I wish you good luck and it is time to move on.  We will ultimately win with or without the current fan base.  

So if you have an allegiance to another team you're not welcome to participate in the conversation here?

• Like 1

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

So if you have an allegiance to another team you're not welcome to participate in the conversation here?

Read my comment.  If the Suckeyes are your passion, then you are not a hall of fame poster for Akron and you should stay away.  Most fans have allegiance to many teams, and that is great.   Anyone can post since it is not my forum, but in my opinion, that does not matter, if the Zips are not your number one, then I do not want to hear from you.  Akron will be really bad this year, but I am only a Zips fan from a college football, college  basketball, and education basis.  I chose to go to school at this university, and I will love it as long as I can.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Read my comment.  If the Suckeyes are your passion, then you are not a hall of fame poster for Akron and you should stay away.  Most fans have allegiance to many teams, and that is great.   Anyone can post since it is not my forum, but in my opinion, that does not matter, if the Zips are not your number one, then I do not want to hear from you.  Akron will be really bad this year, but I am only a Zips fan from a college football, college  basketball, and education basis.  I chose to go to school at this university, and I will love it as long as I can.  

We've had some really good conversations on here with fans of other teams who have come on to discuss their teams and ours.  Those are types of discussions we could use more of around here so I am more than happy to hear from people with other allegiances or concurrent allegiances as they help lead to a more diverse discussion than the same old rah-rah go team stuff.  As long as it's not trolling or reiterating the same old obsessions, I am more than happy to hear it.

Go Zips!

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Posters like you were another issue here. Not why I left though. I just laugh. 

Not sure why I have to choose which of my Alma Mater I have to be a fan of. I never started an OSU thread ever, but would certainly reply when posters had to go all SDS like you with the name calling and attacking my other alma mater.

Just like I would if anyone on an OSU board would attack UA, which never happens. Most cheered for Akron in our bowl games because most always want other Ohio schools to do well. 

Glad you’re here to keep up the tradition. 

Now go on and say every OSU fan you know is a “name your favorite insult”. That’s what usually follows. 

Go Zips. I’m out. 

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

Don't know if you are a hall of fame poster. 

Im pretty certain there isn't a Hall of Fame. When there is, I am certain to be a first ballot entry. 

We could have an induction where the inductees get drunk at a dinner and are awarded one of those old plastic windbreakers the University to give first year letter winners. 

I'm still deeply upset they scheduled both Auburn & Ohio State.  

Ridiculous.  

Inexcusable.

Insane.

Downright unethical.

To be honest I'm sitting here feeling slightly sick to my stomach. 

I haven't eaten all day so that I'm starving for my traditional, gluttonous, opening-game junk food feast.

But I have no appetite.

Not the least bit excited about this.

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm still deeply upset they scheduled both Auburn & Ohio State.  

Ridiculous.  

Inexcusable.

Insane.

Downright unethical.

To be honest I'm sitting here feeling slightly sick to my stomach. 

I haven't eaten all day so that I'm starving for my traditional, gluttonous, opening-game junk food feast.

But I have no appetite.

Not the least bit excited about this.

If it makes you feel any better, this game has a much better chance of being competitive then vs OSU.

6 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

a.       Negative

b.      0-50

c.       More than 50

a.       None

b.      1-3

c.       More than 3

a.       40-50

b.      50-60

c.       More than 60

a.       Florida

b.      California

c.       Somewhere else

a.       2

b.       3

c.       More than 3

1) b

2) b

3) a

4) c

5) a

34 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Im pretty certain there isn't a Hall of Fame. When there is, I am certain to be a first ballot entry. 

We could have an induction where the inductees get drunk at a dinner and are awarded one of those old plastic windbreakers the University to give first year letter winners. 

When did they do that?

In the late 60s/early 70s it was a nice letter sweater.