Game 1 - Auburn

Zipmeister

8 hours ago, scottditzen said:

Our script Akron logo and helmets make us look like a D3 school. 

I thought their play did an adequate job of that.

All in all, we should have expected the Zips to be thumped.  I actually think the Temple game may give us more of a sense of what we have in the Zips than this obvious mismatch.

Hey guys! I got a little curious after the game about what you guys were thinking about that No.2 QB. He looked pretty good to me. I read through this thread and what I found was a bunch of fans who have a ton of pride and love for their school. It was very humbling, tbh. So often us fans at bigger programs get caught up in the wins and loses and forget to love our school. Your Zips looked to be all class on the field last night, and your coach never quit doing his job. I wish the Zips nothing but success this season and I’ll be rooting for you to win every other game. Including the upset of the century at OSU! War Eagle and Go Zips from the Auburn family! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Was the plan to allow Kato to take Auburn's 1st Team hits, allowing DJ Irons the opportunity to stay more protected against the 2nd teamers? 13-13 speaks for itself no matter what level of the SEC depth chart you're facing. 

If Kato starts next week, Arth should be fired on the spot. 

Sadly, I think the battered likely in pain Kato was put out as the sacrificial lamb for $1.2 mill.    DJ Irons has a nice ring to it.

Like everyone else, Irons was the real bright spot IMO. Whether it was a mix of starters or pure 2nd stringers, I thought he was impressive. He is definitely the future and should be the present. Watching Kato attempt to run the offense was tough. 

I was surprised Norrils was the main back over Williams, but I thought Norrils looked solid. Arth has spoken highly of him this year and now I understand why. Curious to see how Williams looks playing at our level of competition. WRs were fine and its tough to get too much of a gauge on the OL. 

Kickers looked good. The new punter (Slike) booms it. Its a welcomed change compared to what we've dealt with the past few years.

On defense, nobody stood out on the DL. We couldn't generate any pressure. Boateng is a nice upgrade next to Bubba. Nobody in the defensive backfield made any plays either.

The game was what we all expected. At least there seems to be some hope at the most important position and we didn't get shut out. Temple is the real gauge next week. It appears to be a winnable game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

The table above is incorrect.  The total rushing yardage is positive, but not by much.  Look on ESPN or other websites for game totals and you will see the facts.  

From ESPN

Akron Rushing

CAR    YDS    AVG   TD   LONG

Jonzell Norrils            12       22       1.8     0           7

Anthony Williams Jr.    6      10       1.7      0           3

DJ Irons                          6        2       0.3      0           9

Kato Nelson                 11     -13     -1.2      0           9

Team                               1     -24     -24.0    0           0

TEAM                            36       -3        -0.1    0           9

I see it took a team effort to lose 24 yards on one play.

44 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Tulsa uses a similar script logo. There are a number of schools that have the school name/nickname/acronym in stylized lettering of some type on the ESPN scoreboard, e.g. UCLA, LSU, Pitt, Ole Miss, etc.

UCLA tried putting University of California Los Angeles on their helmets, but decided not to because it wrapped around the entire helmet in a font too small to read from more than a few feet away.

LSU had a similar idea, but elected to go with the acronym when nobody at the school could actually spell Louisiana.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Tulsa uses a similar script logo. There are a number of schools that have the school name/nickname/acronym in stylized lettering of some type on the ESPN scoreboard, e.g. UCLA, LSU, Pitt, Ole Miss, etc.

Tulsa is probably the most comparable example. But even their logo is a nicely designed script font and usually has hurricane flags behind. Those other schools are known for the abbreviations. If I wore a shirt that just said Akron on it, people would assume I just went on vacation there and stopped at the airport gift shop. 

Hey everybody,

Just got on your boards to hear what you thought about DJ Irons. I work at Iowa Central Community College and loved watching him play. He has a little Michael Vick in him the way he can scramble out of situations. I remember a play where our OL apparently forgot that their job was to block, but he dodged about 4 would be tacklers and ran for a first down. That type of play does give you opportunities for injury as he had a couple of minor injuries while at IC. Hopefully he will be named the starter and can bring a little excitement to Zips nation. Also, on top of being a talented QB, he is a sensational person with great character! Look forward to following him and you guys from Iowa.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It's even more beautiful that they unknowingly put it on their Twitter before discovering the problem and deleting it!  They claim it was the only one like that.

To top it off he's a Hoosier honor roll student. 

On 9/5/2021 at 9:56 AM, WarEagleJD said:

Hey guys! I got a little curious after the game about what you guys were thinking about that No.2 QB. He looked pretty good to me. 

16 hours ago, ICCCRTR said:

Hey everybody,

Just got on your boards to hear what you thought about DJ Irons. 

Hey fellas, thanks for stopping by.

DJ Irons looked fantastic.  I haven't been this excited about a Zips QB in a long time.  He was JUCO last season and this was the first that any of us on here were able to see him.  He looks like the kind of QB who could save Arth's job & be a true program changer.

He was in control of the huddle, cool, calm & collected; the game certainly wasn't moving too fast for him, which I find difficult to believe it being his first D-1 experience.  Simply unbelievable debut.  I want a "0" jersey!

Go Zips!

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, Ham said:

Captain, I'm too lazy to go back and find your prediction, but you nailed it!  Irons was a pleasant surprise that spoiled it a bit.  Please tell us how you are picking next week; so we all can make some serious change.

The Auburn game was easy money. No way a Zips defense that couldn't make Kent punt once last November was going to hold Auburn under 50 nine months later. 

Temple is a little more difficult team to gauge. And Irons is a wild card.