Michigan State - first regular season road game

Is it too early to get excited about the next game?

Sparty knocked off Cleveland State last night

https://msuspartans.com/news/2021/8/26/mens-soccer-spartans-open-2021-season-with-2-1-victory-for-msu-over-cleveland-state.aspx

article above...says that the game will be on big ten plus

zips website says that the game will be on big ten plus..

Does anyone know if a subscription to ESPN+ gives you access to big ten plus?

my man of the match is Diogo Pacheco.....2 assists

zips score at 89:35 to break Sparty's heart....

I know I am biased....but the zips got homered tonight on foul calls....20 fouls to 9

passing was not as sharp tonight......but the zips were tested big time and got a huge win on the road.

Tobias Bak came in during the 2nd half....and did a great job at right back

image.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Did Portman get hurt?

Will Portman was great against Wright State.   Will P. did not have a good game tonight passing ...and did not do as well on defense.   Will got a yellow card in the first half and he was a little tentative after that.  Credit to Coach Embick for making the change to Tobias Bak..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Just watching the stats it looks like they were dominated for the first 65 minutes or so.  What changed?  They really came on strong.  

I will let fknbuflobo provide his analysis.    Shokalook came in and was very active and made several good runs into the box.  That opened up the sides for Pacheco and Clapier.   AS the game got later, the strength and physicality of Pacheco and Clapier ....seemed to wear down the spartan defenders.    Kauzlaric and Samu were better in the midfield late in the 2nd half.  When Shokalook came in , they had Clapier, Pacheco and Kingsford all in the game.   Shokalook was the up front forward and Kingsford kind of moved to an upfront midfield position.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Did Portman get hurt?

No.  Portman was repeatedly making bad passes.  Got a yellow card on what could have been straight red.  I expect that Portman will start again Friday at RB.  Tobias Bak has proven that he can step in on either flank. 

If either Will struggles, (Jackson or Portman) in comes Bak.  What a luxury.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TennZip said:

I will let fknbuflobo provide his analysis.    Shokalook came in and was very active and made several good runs into the box.  That opened up the sides for Pacheco and Clapier.   AS the game got later, the strength and physicality of Pacheco and Clapier ....seemed to wear down the spartan defenders.    Kauzlaric and Samu were better in the midfield late in the 2nd half.  When Shokalook came in , they had Clapier, Pacheco and Kingsford all in the game.   Shokalook was the up front forward and Kingsford kind of moved to an upfront midfield position.

I agree with most of that.  But I would say that the physical presence throughout the match was provided by Kingsford and Shokalook.  Big bruising forwards.  Clapier and Pacheco are the Ninjas.  Good blend of forward talent, btw.

The playmaking of WKWK is slowly changing the tenor of this team.  Even on such a deep squad, hard to see WKWK not getting more minutes.  He scores too, but that is not his calling card.  And WKWK is first choice on any restart.  Period.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Just watching the stats it looks like they were dominated for the first 65 minutes or so.  What changed?  They really came on strong.  

Soccer is a funny game.  Zips dominated first 30 minutes, but did not shoot.  Spartans held sway on either side of HT.  Spartans scored @ ~ 62:00?  After that, Zips really took it to them, as if they needed a punch in the nose to realize they were in a fight.

Great posts. Fun ride home last night from a very successful road trip and happy celebration with our guys. We always get homered by the ref at MSU. We deserved many of our fouls but they were not called the same on Sparty. Love the depth on this team, their teamwork, and seeing the fight in these Zips in the face of adversity. Nice to see Tobias Bak's cheering section...a handful of friends must have made the drive from Muskegon CC...nice!!!

On to the next one at home...Let's Go!!! 

• Like 3

This game was further evidence of why soccer/football is the world's greatest game!  The team on the bottom can so quickly get off it's back and put its opponent upside down!  At the 72' mark, shots were nine for MSU and two for Akron.  The final, as TennZip shows us was 11 to 10.  That resiliency hopefully is the sign of greatness.  We shall see.  Go Zips!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Love the depth on this team, their teamwork, and seeing the fight in these Zips in the face of adversity. 

We indeed have seen great depth from this team in the first 2 games.  Depth will be even better when Carlo Ritaccio and Sam Tojaga are healthy.    I really like the mix of the guys upfront...Kingsford, Clapier, Pacheco, Shokalook and Malik Henry.   Even though the zips did not have any shots in the first half, Malik Henry had several good runs on the right side and he made some good crosses.   Shots can sometimes be a misleading measure of the game.  At the start of the 2nd half, Johnny Fitzgerald had a great run toward the left baseline and made a super cross that just missed the foot of Ryan Kingsford.   Does not show up in the stats but the Spartans knew that they dodged a bullet and it was a great individual effort by Fitz.

7 hours ago, TennZip said:

This soccer coaches poll.....only reflects games thru Sunday.   The zips opening game against Wright State obviously impressed the coaches that vote in this poll.

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-di-men/

The Zips are on their way to the top. MSU was no slouch and we beat them at their place. Jared has done a remarkable job in cleaning house of his cancers and bringing in new talent that embraces the Akron soccer culture. Jared is also not given the credit for the exceptional job he does as a field coach. He and Mitchell and Groce and Perisse and Engle only serve to prove my point, which is the right head coach is the prime factor in winning. 

Go soccer Zips!

• Like 6

13 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

The Zips are on their way to the top. MSU was no slouch and we beat them at their place. Jared has done a remarkable job in cleaning house of his cancers and bringing in new talent that embraces the Akron soccer culture. Jared is also not given the credit for the exceptional job he does as a field coach. He and Mitchell and Groce and Perisse and Engle only serve to prove my point, which is the right head coach is the prime factor in winning. 

Go soccer Zips!

Embick may forever live in the shadows of Porter, and that would be an absolute travesty. With less talent, Embick has arguably accomplished more (aside from winning it all) than Porter. That's not to discredit Porter or pit the two against each other, but more of an appreciation for the greatness that has been at the helm of this program for nearly 2 decades. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 1:23 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Pathetic attempt by MSUcks' goalie on the game-winner. I understand he guessed the wrong way, but it looked like an extension of his leg/foot may have deflected the ball. 

Amazing perseverance from Shokalook. That's one of my favorite goals I've seen the Zips score in quite some time.