2021 MACtion

Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

All except for KSUcks.

Sorry chief, but I will root for Kent State in the bowl game.  Every year, the MAC shows up as the worst or one of the worst FBS conferences.  Getting 8 bowl berths for the MAC is a complete joke.  There is no way a 6-6 MAC team deserves a bowl.  In the remaining 6 bowl games for MAC teams, they are favored to win 1 time and lose 5 games.  Only Miami is a minor favorite to win.  If the MAC ends up 1-7 or 0-8 in bowl games, that may hurt future choices, which the Zips will be lurking soon.

Also, I get grief for my Suckeye comments, especially from Clark, but there are many more worse comments regarding other teams.  And, they are fine with me. 

Merry Zipmas

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

E. Michigan vs Liberty, 2 ex Akron recruits #1 Shredo Louis & #21 Treon Sibley playing for Liberty

Eastern getting absolutely ROLLED by Liberty 56-20 with about 4' to go. Eastern with 10 garbage time points to make it that close.  MAC heading to 0-3 in bowls so far. Easy to have high expectations for Moorhead and staff.

Edited by GoZips88

Bowl season over the last 6 years or so always does a nice job of showing the country what the conference is really made of. The MAC has seriously fallen off, and deserves all of the criticism it gets for being a crappy conference. Believe me, I still love watching it and it’s generally fun football, but when the MAC East comes down to two 6-5 teams the the west champ goes 0-6 the year before, as fun as those things are, they tell me there’s a lot of parity and parity that isn’t very good. Toledo pays Candle over $1 million a year, WMU pays Lester like $850k and both have been incredible disappointments based on recruiting outside of Toledo’s title in 2017 where UA didn’t even belong in the same stadium as that team. 

With that said, it’s a perfect opportunity for Moorhead to strike while the iron is hot and really do something to make moves in this league. It can be done. 

• Like 3

On 12/18/2021 at 2:07 PM, bigjim said:

Sorry chief, but I will root for Kent State in the bowl game.  Every year, the MAC shows up as the worst or one of the worst FBS conferences.  Getting 8 bowl berths for the MAC is a complete joke.  There is no way a 6-6 MAC team deserves a bowl.  In the remaining 6 bowl games for MAC teams, they are favored to win 1 time and lose 5 games.  Only Miami is a minor favorite to win.  If the MAC ends up 1-7 or 0-8 in bowl games, that may hurt future choices, which the Zips will be lurking soon.

Also, I get grief for my Suckeye comments, especially from Clark, but there are many more worse comments regarding other teams.  And, they are fine with me. 

Merry Zipmas

Nearly 2/3 of all FBS teams go to bowls. Making a bowl game isn't really an accomplishment anymore. They hand bowl bids out like participation trophies.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs down 1

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Nearly 2/3 of all FBS teams go to bowls. Making a bowl game isn't really an accomplishment anymore. They hand bowl bids out like participation trophies.

ouch. it's like we're not even participating in football. 

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/18/2021 at 1:44 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Western Kentucky was too good for the MAC.

The probably are right now. If G5 schools had their own division and played for a national championship, WKU would be a favorite to win it for the near future after some of the G5 teams depart to the Big 12.

If I was to rewrite your quote above it would say, "Western Kentucky was too good for the MAC and they probably know it.". My biggest concern with allowing WKU into the MAC was not how good they are now or how good they might be in the future, but their joining the MAC as a temporary stopping point until they found somewhere else they wanted to be. We allowed that to happen with Marshall and others in the past. It makes the MAC look desperate and simply doesn't make good business sense. The MAC is a good, stable mid-west conference.  Some of these G5 conferences look like a bunch of fly by night organizations that don't provide a sense of history or regionality that I think is still important.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

ouch. it's like we're not even participating in football. 

Our 3-27 record over the past 3 seasons would support this claim. Going 6-6 while finishing 6th or 7th in the MAC is no real accomplishment. It would be for Moorhead's 1st or 2nd season as he's starting from ground zero, but eventually the goal should be to win 8+ each season.

Payout for CMU and the MAC jumped from 350k to 4.5 mil during the Chipps' bus ride from Tucson to El Paso!  Not sure, but that must compete with past MAC New Years Day bowl game checks!

Sun Bowl has always been my favorite scenic bowl game with that historic rock "M" (for UTEP Miners) on the slope outside the stadium.  It does seem rather ironic that Miami had to drop out with Covid, when Wazzou had the only head coach to be fired during the season for refusing to be vaccinated -- my old beer and pizza guzzling partner from his Hawai'i QB days, Nick Rolovich.

• Like 1

MAC finishes 3-5 in bowl games.  Did much better than I expected.  

Central Michigan dominated a P5 school today, and with several major mistakes, won a close game.  If they return players, they are to be reckoned with.  Congrats go the Chippewas.  They represented the MAC well.  

This is where the Zips need to get.  Do not fear a P5. 

Happy Zipyear.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bigjim said:

MAC finishes 3-5 in bowl games.  Did much better than I expected.  

Central Michigan dominated a P5 school today, and with several major mistakes, won a close game.  If they return players, they are to be reckoned with.  Congrats go the Chippewas.  They represented the MAC well.  

This is where the Zips need to get.  Do not fear a P5. 

Happy Zipyear.

Good week to be a Chippewa.  Basketball beat Ravenna State at Brimfield and football team wins bowl game.

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

What were you expecting, 1-11?

Based on the original point spreads and the final rankings of the MAC schools, I would have predicted 1-7.  Since you stated 1-11 for 8 games, I am guessing that with your math skills you are either an Art History major or a $uckeye graduate!!!!😄😄

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Based on the original point spreads and the final rankings of the MAC schools, I would have predicted 1-7.  Since you stated 1-11 for 8 games, I am guessing that with your math skills you are either an Art History major or a $uckeye graduate!!!!😄😄

I mean 3-5 is a little bit better than 1-7, I wasn't sure how you were getting to much better.

• 2 weeks later...