Game 2 - Temple

LZIp

At least watching the game last night, it appeared we escaped Auburn serious injury free. Temple got slaughtered by an upward trending Rutgers team, but a Rutgers team that has nowhere near the talent as Auburn. Temple brought in Georgia transfer D'wan Mathis at QB, who somehow has a worse QBR than Kato last week, as well as a host of other P5 transfers.

Does Arth go with Irons or Kato? I know this board's opinion...and the decision could end up costing him his job.

This is the type of game we need to win to give us some hope that the program is trending upwards. I'll be there and I encourage everyone else to as well. 

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

My guess is we'll see multiple QBs again. Sounds like we have our first pre-game quiz question.

Looks like Temple opened as 3 point favorites and has gone out to 6.5

Tonight, I did a quick review of the stats of the Akron and Temple games from the ESPN website, and here is what I saw.

1. Both teams lost to a P5 school: Akron 60-10, Temple 61-14

2. Passing yards: Akron 191, Temple 148

3. Passing yard differential: Akron (-106), Temple (3)  (Akron had 106 fewer yds passing than their opponent, while Temple had 3 more yards passing than their opponent)

4. Rushing yards: Akron (-3), Temple 113

5. Rushing yard differential: Akron (-318), Temple (-107)

6. Turnovers: Akron 4 fumbles lost, Temple 3 fumbles lost and 2 interceptions

Looking at the statistics and differentials, I am very surprised that Temple lost by 47.  When I first saw the score of the Temple game, I thought we had a solid chance to win.  Now, I am not sure.  Food for thought.  More to come as the week goes on.  Go Zips!!!

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It pains me to say it and I hope to hell I am wrong but this is feeling like the leadup week to the UMass game 2 or 3 years back where we were looking at an weak opponent as an opportunity to start to turn things around and we know how that one turned out.

Anything else to contribute today?

Not to encourage you but if I recall, in that game, Zips new great hope started at the end of the game.  Joe Dunn raved about how the ball just came out of his hand differently, etc.   Forget his name, but he ended up going through the Akron QB meat grinder and ending up on the floor of a butcher shop.

Edited by NWAkron

16 hours ago, bigjim said:

Tonight, I did a quick review of the stats of the Akron and Temple games from the ESPN website, and here is what I saw.

3. Passing yard differential: Akron (-106), Temple (3)  (Akron had 106 fewer yds passing than their opponent, while Temple had 3 more yards passing than their opponent)

Looking at the statistics and differentials, I am very surprised that Temple lost by 47.  When I first saw the score of the Temple game, I thought we had a solid chance to win.  Now, I am not sure.  Food for thought.  More to come as the week goes on.  Go Zips!!!

I'd be curious how many of those yards came after they were down by a bajillion. Though the same applies to the Zips, too.

18 hours ago, bigjim said:

Looking at the statistics and differentials, I am very surprised that Temple lost by 47.  When I first saw the score of the Temple game, I thought we had a solid chance to win.  Now, I am not sure.  Food for thought.  More to come as the week goes on.  Go Zips!!!image.png

Zero Fumbles lost and Zero Interceptions

• Like 1

I think this is a vital game to maintaining the faith of many Zips fans in Arth.  As for me, I have been patient with the build and encouraged others to give it time but my patience is waning.  It's time to start seeing results from this staff.  For me. the jury's still out, but 11 have already voted to convict and the last one's about to cave.  An ugly performance Saturday may end the deliberations.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think this is a vital game to maintaining the faith of many Zips fans in Arth.  As for me, I have been patient with the build and encouraged others to give it time but my patience is waning.  It's time to start seeing results from this staff.  For me. the jury's still out, but 11 have already voted to convict and the last one's about to cave.  An ugly performance Saturday may end the deliberations.

Yep.  My issue is with conflating the firing of Bowden and the hiring of Arth.  I see those as separate decisions.  I thought it was time for Bowden to go.  However,  I think Arth with his movie star looks, NEOhio background, and the blue blood Catholic school pedigree masked some fatal flaws in his coaching ability. 

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

We've got the popular surplus sale, free tuition giveaway, students with +2 free tickets, free tickets to high school students, and free tickets with military ID this week. Doing their best to get people there....

https://gozips.com/sports/2021/9/5/gameday-index.aspx

Good idea. This is football country where the NFL was formed and had 3 teams at one time. And a rabid fan base for another in-state college program. The potential is there. Just waiting for someone at the U to not step on his junk with promotions...

Edited by Spin

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Yep.  My issue is with conflating the firing of Bowden and the hiring of Arth.  I see those as separate decisions.  I thought it was time for Bowden to go.  However,  I think Arth with his movie star looks, NEOhio background, and the blue blood Catholic school pedigree masked some fatal flaws in his coaching ability. 

I agree with this. Hindsight being what it is, my thoughts when Bowden was canned were, okay, as long as you've got somebody in the chamber who you're sure is better than what we have, because we are awfully undesireable when it comes to football, then that's fine. But that NEVER happened. To be fair to Terry, he did create unprecedented success for our football program. I'll always remember that 2015 Bowl win.  

Edited by ZippyforPresident
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I'm aware of two head coach recommendations by Peyton Manning-. Arth and Adam Gase.  Ouch.

At this juncture, our only alternative is to take the Auburn game as an expected loss in hope to see some improvement going forward.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm aware of two head coach recommendations by Peyton Manning-. Arth and Adam Gase.  Ouch.

At this juncture, our only alternative is to take the Auburn game as an expected loss in hope to see some improvement going forward.

How are you aware of his two head coaching recommendations?

Were they both positive recommendations?

I find it incredible to even see their two names in the same sentence.

Personally, I wouldn't want Gase as Akron's head coach because the air would be filled with so many flying pigs it would be impossible to walk outside without getting pooped on.

DJ Irons looks as much "the part" as any Akron QB has in 15 years. Small sample, sure, but as other posters have mentioned, 100% completion rate at that volume is hard to do against any opponent. He seems to make quicker decisions and his younger and more athletic frame could remedy the unreasonably poor offensive line play we will most likely see. I also really like the skill positions on this team. Norrils runs hard and with his head down so even though he was getting stopped at the line, he was at least falling forward a couple of yards. That will help big time against smaller and weaker lines in the MAC. Mike Mathison is a solid MAC receiver and Qualls looks like a decent option as well.

Without a doubt, the biggest flaw on this team for yet another season is the defense. They are horrible and I really can't fathom how they've remained so bad. There have been so many games now where the opponent gains nearly every single possible yard and scores a touchdown on nearly every drive. There aren't even a couple of turnovers being forced here or there, something to get their offense off the field. Every time Akron's defense takes the field, you know what the result is going to be, it's just a matter of how long it takes to get there. Every single time Bo Nix dropped back to pass, I thought the ball would end up in the end zone. And shame on me for at the very end of the game thinking there's no way they can allow another touchdown to make it 60-10 with the amount of time left. Arth needs to step the hell up and pressure Feeney to do something to fix that mess, or show him the door. The defense is keeping this team, and will keep this team, from even having a chance in many games this season that in the past were unwinnable due to the talent gap, but are no longer so. 

I've been saying it for years now and it sill holds true, I'm sure Akron would have had a decent chance to end this streak had last year gone as scheduled but it still holds true. Akron has never beaten an FBS nonconference opponent at Infocision Stadium. They have the chance to do it this weekend against a program in a similar place. Hopefully the boys are motivated by how they moved the ball last week. I'm going to go into this game either hoping that DJ Irons runs out there with the 1's or that Kato simply looked like the old Kato because of rust and it being Auburn. This is a huge game for the program. A must-win if you ask me, joining 2019 @UMass and 2020 vs. BGSU in the Arth era. Even if Akron doesn't win, there's no reason it shouldn't be a one or two score game with a chance to win in the second half. If it's ugly like so many have been, you might find me over on the basketball thread coming up with lineups for the upcoming season. Now is the time, coach. Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

How are you aware of his two head coaching recommendations?

Were they both positive recommendations?

I find it incredible to even see their two names in the same sentence.

Personally, I wouldn't want Gase as Akron's head coach because the air would be filled with so many flying pigs it would be impossible to walk outside without getting pooped on.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20181217/marla-ridenour-new-ua-football-coach-tom-arth-disdained-peyton-mannings-advice-but-still-on-track-to-fulfill-his-prediction

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/10/new-york-jets-peyton-manning-recommended-coach-adam-gase/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ham said:

In today's presser, nobody asked about our QB position.  I get the feeling that we will see both Kato and DJ.  I personally feel DJ has earned the start.  There was talk about Owl's QB being questionable.  No mention of any injuries!  

We may want the Owl's starting QB to play.  Watching Temple-Rutgers highlights, into the 2nd quarter the announcer said the Temple QB was something like 3-of-11.  The next highlight showed the Temple QB badly sail a pass over his receiver's head for an easy pick-6 for Rutgers.

This article from ESPN dot com sheds a little light on how the game got out of hand for Temple... and they may not be as bad as the score indicates.  They had a number of TO's which put Rutgers in excellent starting field position.  Temple's D doesn't sound all that bad; Rutger's QB, Noah Vedral, was 15-of-27 passing for only 138 yards and was also Rutger's leading rusher with only 58 yards (on eight rushes), so Temple's run defense must be pretty stout.

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

GT has a hard-on for Kato.  Apparently Auburn's 2nd teamers suck balls so it's basically like DJ was just putting up numbers against Mount Union.

If l could field a team of those 2nd teamers in the MAC, even l would be COTY.

I really can't say much; I'm just basing my comment on the numbers.  (I'll be back in Ames this week along with Game Day.)  However what I have seen of Kato, I would like to see what DJ could do as starter.

• Like 1

When did Auburn take out some or most of their starters? Unless they did it the same time that Kato was taken out, discounting DJ's performance is a moot point because Kato would have had reps against the back ups as well. Kato has had approximately 3 good games in his long career here - his first start against Miami I believe it was, against OU to win the division, and against Northwestern. 

Edited by LZIp