Game 2 - Temple

LZIp

31 minutes ago, LZIp said:

When did Auburn take out some or most of their starters? Unless they did it the same time that Kato was taken out, discounting DJ's performance is a moot point because Kato would have had reps against the back ups as well. Kato has had approximately 3 good games in his long career here - his first start against Miami I believe it was, against OU to win the division, and against Northwestern. 

All in all, Kato has only had a handful of good halves as an Akron QB and we're 6 years into this experience. That 1st half against Ohio in 2017 influenced so much of my view of him and the potential he had as a RS-Fr. But here we are 4 years later and I don't think he looks much different. From what I can see, he's grown as a teammate and a leader--he was a disaster in this area back then. But maybe he needs to be a Josh McCown/Case Keenum type role on this team.

I think the casual fan will lump Akron and Temple in the same non-P5 grouping. But Temple's success over the last 10-or-so years blows the Zips away.

Al Golden left Temple for Miami FL, Steve Addazio left for BC, Matt Rhule was hired-away by Baylor and Geoff Collins took the Georgia Tech job.

They hired Rod Carey away from NIU. They've had one losing season since 2013.

In that same time JD Brookhart left Akron to sell CAD software, Rob Ianello's forced exit landed him the coveted Buffalo's WR Coach job, and Terry Bowden recently resurfaced at doormat Louisiana Monroe after being fired.

Over the year's Kent has had some terrible teams...but they maintained some respectability because they had some great QB play. Jose Davis, Josh Cribbs and Julian Edelman compensated for horrible defenses with a high-scoring offense. I hate Kent, but those guys were fun to watch.

If Irons can prove the Auburn appearance wasn't a fluke, and Arth opens the offense up, the 2021 Zips could actually be watchable. I wouldn't have thought that when the season began.

I see this game playing out slightly worse than the the UAB game a couple years ago. Temple 45 Akron 23. I don't see us stopping Temple, no matter how badly they appeared to play against Rutgers.

I'd tighten the spread if a few more Jeslord Boateng's joined the defense this week. He makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. I like him. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I see this as a Do or Die Game for the rightfully impatient mentally tired, beat up frustrated Zips now aka "Script Akron" Fanbase 

Whats left of us under the Ohio State apparel.  

Agreed. This is year 2.5 for Arth. Regardless of how bare the cupboards were when he took over, and regardless of how much the Rona season hurt the development of the program, there are simple things a DI coach should be able to do. 1) Recognize which player(s) put the team in the best position to win (cough DJ Irons cough). 2) Compete against similar-level DI programs (G5).

Not starting DJ Irons and a blowout loss to Temple would put the final nail in the coffin for me with Arth. 

• Like 1

Players Auburn had in the game during DJ's TD drive:

NT - Tony Fair - 1st string

DE - Derick Hall - 1st string

LB - Chandler Wooten - 1st string

CB - Roger McCreary - 1st string (who Jonzell beat on his TD catch)

CB - Nehemiah Pritchett - 1st string

S - Bydarrius Knighten - 1st string

DL - TD Moultry - 2nd string

DL - JJPegues - 2nd string

DL - Zykevious Walker - 2nd string

LB - Wesley Steiner - 2nd string

CB - Ro Torrence - 2nd string

S - Zion Pucket - 2nd string

DL - Romello Height - not listed on 2-deep

DL - Eku Leota - not listed on 2-deep

S - Eric Reed - not listed on 2-deep

S - Devin Guide - not listed on 2-deep

I'm sure there are others I missed.  This is just what I could gather by pausing the ESPN replay feed.  But the point is DJ wasn't doing this against scrubs.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Players Auburn had in the game during DJ's TD drive:

NT Tony Fair - 1st string

DE - Derick Hall - 1st string

LB - Chandler Wooten - 1st string

CB - Roger McCreary - 1st string (who Jonzell beat on his TD catch)

CB - Nehemiah Pritchett - 1st string

S - Bydarrius Knighten - 1st string

DL - TD Moultry - 2nd string

DL - JJPegues - 2nd string

DL - Zykevious Walker - 2nd string

LB - Wesley Steiner - 2nd string

CB - Ro Torrence - 2nd string

S - Zion Pucket - 2nd string

DL - Romello Height - not listed on 2-deep

DL - Eku Leota - not listed on 2-deep

S - Eric Reed - not listed on 2-deep

S - Devin Guide - not listed on 2-deep

I'm sure there are others I missed.  This is just what I could gather by pausing the ESPN replay feed.  But the point is DJ wasn't doing this against scrubs.

Nice work B & G.

• Thanks 1

The Zips are getting plenty of early season national attention.

ESPN has this game as their pillow fight of the week.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32167121/a-kansas-win-means-there-new-no-1-college-football-bottom-10N

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-expansion-how-adding-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-may-change-college-footballs-power-structure/

Hit this link, then pan down (a lot) to see the Zips at number 2 in the CBS Sports bottom 25.

Edited by Zipmeister

10 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-expansion-how-adding-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-may-change-college-footballs-power-structure/

Hit this link, then pan down (a lot) to see the Zips at number 2 in the CBS Sports bottom 25.

6 MAC Teams on thats list 

rAx95dV.png

Edited by dre22era

Bowden had is early tenure surprises against Michigan and Pitt.

The clock is ticking for Arth to coach his first "The Akron fans were pleasantly surprised..." game of his tenure.

At some point he needs to give Zips fans some tangible hope that things are improving. Playing an AAC team that's 1-7 in their last 8 games, at InfoCision, seems like a great opportunity.

Losing 56-12 would deflate the bandwagon in record time.

Dre is right...this is sort of a do-or-die game. The champagne popped after the BG win has long since evaporated.

2_f17f8eb3-b3ad-491f-a676-aad2fd2a4797_l

• Like 4

10 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

As an aside, if one wants to buy a $10 GA ticket through the UA site, the total charge after the Ticketmaster extortion is $16.80.  That's a hell of a premium, percentage-wise, for a ticket. 

I always get mine at the stadium ticket window anyway. Anybody got a high school ID I can borrow? 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

As an aside, if one wants to buy a $10 GA ticket through the UA site, the total charge after the Ticketmaster extortion is $16.80.  That's a hell of a premium, percentage-wise, for a ticket. 

I spent more than twice that amount two weeks ago in a Buc-ee's on I-95 in Florida and I can't remember half of the crap I bought. What's your point?

13 hours ago, LZIp said:

Anyone get any updates watching Zips Weekly last night ( @bigjim) ? My guess is we aren't going to hear anything about QB ahead of time.

I got nothing, and so I did not post.  Sorry about that.  I will still try to remember to watch it weekly since I try to soak up everything about my alma mater.  Go Zips!!!!

6 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I got nothing, and so I did not post.  Sorry about that.  I will still try to remember to watch it weekly since I try to soak up everything about my alma mater.  Go Zips!!!!

It being on Bally sucks...haven't found a way to watch it yet as I am a "cord cutter".

I don't believe I've yet posted the scholly chart this season, but here's my best guess of where we appear to be at. 73 scholarship players in total, 12 under the "normal" max of 85..likely 25-ish less than teams who had a lot of seniors come back due to last year not counting against eligibility. We have one senior - Kato - who is clearly under scholarship. I'd imagine there are a few under scholly we don't know about, but those would be players who started as walk-ons who won't ever contribute outside of special teams.

I'll be disappointed if there is some sort of multi-score loss tomorrow, and likely even a loss in general considering we should be going against a true freshman QB who has never completed a pass and a team that doesn't seem much more talented than us. Just feel its important to note we are still very young and under manned compared to a lot of teams we are playing.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

• Thanks 1