WINNING NUCLEUS FORMING FOR LADY ZIPS

ZipAnalyst

Already the Lady Zips are showing progress. But the big move will come next year. An ABJ article on future Zip star Kara Murphy provides the specifics on Murrphy's development at St. Vincent - St. Mary's (Akron). Murphy will combine with Tokodi and McCoy (current roster players and team phenoms) to catapult the Zips into being one of the better teams in the MAC as early as next year. It is becoming apparent that Akron's athletic future is more likely to excel with the basketball programs (women and men) than in football. Basketball is where the university administration and athletic department administration should focus their efforts.Dambrot is clearly the class of coaching at Akron. It is too early to tell, but preliminary indications are that Kest is cut of the same mold.Last night I watched Mid-major Gonzaga take apart #2 North Carolina. In a few years this could be the Zips - either the women or the men; maybe both - provided that the Akron administration sets it priorities correctly.Can anyone fancy the Zip footballers taking apart Ohio State the next time they play the Buckeyes? Not a chance. But the basketball thing is doable!

It makes far more sense to invest in the basketball programs than football. If for no other reason than its far easier to recruit 5-8 good players per basketball team verses the 22 or more players you need for football. I come from the Bob Huggins / Jerry Faust era and I'm still mad the university decided to concentrate on football at that time costing us coach Huggins. (Huggins would have left for a bigger program anyway, just hopefully not as fast as he did if the university hadn't decided to go independent to move from I-AA to I-A in football.)I'd love to see the Lady Zips have success. I don't remember them ever having a year with more than 15-17 wins over the last 20 years. And the last few years have just been unbelievable bad. I'll admit I have not followed the Lady Zips vitrually at all, but if they can become one of the better teams in the MAC I love basketball enough that I would probably start attending games.

Zipgrad....we come from nearly the same era. I was a Junior when we won the OVC basketball title, and Gerry Faust was hired. At the time, I was excited that the University wanted to move up a level. AND, I still believe that, with Akron being one of the 50 or so largest schools in the country, that our University needed to play 1A in Football. The problem was that they lacked the facilities to get it done, and didn't have the money to get those facilities quickly enough. If you recall, Faust didn't even have grass practice fields to get his teams ready for road games. Muse and Faust were also unable to get the city to come together with them on a proposal for a new downtown stadium. It was a great idea, but maybe too premature. So, in hindsight, maybe a few more years of Bob Huggins would have made a difference for basketball. Then we could have watched someone else be the first to move to 1-A in football, and learn from their mistakes.

I disagree. We need to raise the level in both football and basketball. In 10 years time I would be rather thought of as a Pitt or Rutgers or Cincinatti rather than a Xavier or Dayton or Gonzaga. Look at Can't's success in basketball and it has not elevated their university. I love Dambrot too. But we need to be good in both sports.

Oh please. Analyst you continue to push your basketball only agenda. Problem is, you're very short sighted.Let's see, under Brookhart we've had two very good years, one average year, and you want to discontinue football. I hope football recruits don't read your posts as anything but rubbish. And to prove it, let me just add:The university has just spent millions on an indoor football facility, they built new outdoor practice fields ON CAMPUS, and now they're spending a huge chunk of money finishing out the second floor of the fieldhouse for football offices. They've invested in real estate, and just ponied up another $2 mil for the plans for the new stadium. They're NOT going to drop football, period, end of story. Can you please let it go? Tell you what, why not just post positives about basketball without tearing down football? Keith's recruiting is helped when football does well, and vice-versa. Don't kid yourself, and both head coaches know this as well. You can't buy the kind of advertising Akron got in two nationally televised games last year. It used to be I had to explain my Zips wear when I traveled, now I can't believe how many people across the country - even Cali and the east coast - recognize it and say something along the lines of, "Hey, that's the Zips!" Then they talk about how they saw us play last fall.The success of the flagship sports is not mutually exclusive, and in fact is mutually beneficial. Let it go, man.

Zipper! Get this straight from me: I am not about an "basketball only agenda." I will define my own positions. It is fair to say I think Zip basketball is a better value at this time than football. That could change over the next year or so. I doubt it But we shall see. I think the University of Akron should have a well-rounded program (much more than just basketball and football). They all shoud be headed toward excellence. In my opinion (if you will allow me to have one - speaking for myself - I might add) football is in regression. And, I have a revulsion of throwing good money after bad. Remember, Zipper - it's my opinion. You can have yours. Now that I defined myself go read a response I had to Zipboy at: “Rasor Column Speculates on the Root Cause Why Did the Team Underachieve in 2006?” under Akron Zip Football.By the way, are you and Zipboy related?

Getting back to the original premise of this thread, The Lady Zips seem to have the beginnings of a winning progream and it continues into next year. Next year's recruits all seem to be pretty good players. http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...0&ATCLID=694256Way to go Coach Krest :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: