Rasor Column Speculates on the Root Cause

Captain Kangaroo

If we actually are the most penalized team in the nation, the coaching staff needs to take the criticism for that. And the leaders on the field should take some responsibility for the personal fouls as well. Someone on the field needs to be demanding that everyone else concentrate on what they need to accomplish. I agree that we didn't do the "little things" as well as we did last year.I like the 3-3-5 defense because it seems to utilize our talent in the best way, but its inability to contain a quarterback on the run is now a glaring weakness that everyone has started to exploit. But I still can't figure out why there are 8 linebackers, corners, and safeties on the field, and nobody is a watchdog for the quarterback that might take off.I just hope we find that this year was the "fluke", and and not last year.

Here are two disturbing quotes from JD:#1: "It's hard to pinpoint why things went the way they did," he said. "You want to say your kids weren't playing hard, but they were. You want to say it was the scheme, but it wasn't."Uh, Coach, maybe the 'kids' were playing hard, but they sure weren't playing either smart or well! And as far as the scheme not being a problem?! It was (and still is) a major problem!!! Out with the 3-3! And this is not to mention the horrific absence of in-game adjustments, which truly belongs in the same conversation as 'scheme'!!!And this one just made me sick to my stomach:#2: "If you change a few plays, we're looking at 8-3," Brookhart said. :cry: Hey Coach, THAT'S PURE LOSER TALK!!! DON'T WANNA HEAR THAT EVER AGAIN!!!

we may have had 16 starters back but it's not like we finished 10-2. at the same time i think the offense in all areas underperformed.wr dropped passed,andlack of running game. the cmu game interception at the end of the half was the turning point for that game.jd also never would make adjustments

I have no confidence at all in Rasor's analysis. His column is not worth a reply. Rasor does a superb job in digging out and providing information. But that is the extent of the value of his writings.The clock is running out on football at Akron. If we are not at the top of the MAC appearing in bowl games year-in and year-out in the relatively near future, I question whether or not Akron has a future in football. All we can hope for at this point is that JD will turn things around next year. We already have three years invested in him. We have no choice but to abide him at least one more year, maybe even two. But that should be it.I don't like the excuse modality that JD is into now because it is a "mirror image" of what we got from Lee Owens. And we all know the rest of the story. It was nine years that the program was stagnated. Even then Owens apologists were asking for "one more year."Excuse making is indication of satisfaction with mediocrity or worse and having a job just to have a job. This is the most disturbing aspect of JD's comments.Brookhart and Rhoades probably pay no attention to what said in the ZipNationland. One thing Rasor can do to for those of us who care about the program and write about it, is to pass on our growing "impatience" - that is if he has the courage to "possibly" jeopardize his close relationship with the coach and AD - for we all know that the messenger does bear some risk.

ZA, I don't write my columns for ZipsNation. The blog stuff is for fans like you. My columns are for students -- 90 percent of which will never attend a football game all year. It's a different audience, so I don't expect the columns to entertain you guys.As for my analysis about the team lacking leaders, J.D. told me himself that's true. You can call that excuse making, or you can call it being honest. It's a fine line coaches walk. Fans want coaches to speak frankly about what went wrong; then they are called excuse makers if they do.I still think J.D.'s a fine coach. One underachieving season and you're making him out to be Chris Palmer. And J.D. is satisfied with mediocrity? That's absurd.

I have no confidence at all in Rasor's analysis. His column is not worth a reply. Rasor does a superb job in digging out and providing information. But that is the extent of the value of his writings.The clock is running out on football at Akron. If we are not at the top of the MAC appearing in bowl games year-in and year-out in the relatively near future, I question whether or not Akron has a future in football. All we can hope for at this point is that JD will turn things around next year. We already have three years invested in him. We have no choice but to abide him at least one more year, maybe even two. But that should be it.I don't like the excuse modality that JD is into now because it is a "mirror image" of what we got from Lee Owens. And we all know the rest of the story. It was nine years that the program was stagnated. Even then Owens apologists were asking for "one more year."Excuse making is indication of satisfaction with mediocrity or worse and having a job just to have a job. This is the most disturbing aspect of JD's comments.Brookhart and Rhoades probably pay no attention to what said in the ZipNationland. One thing Rasor can do to for those of us who care about the program and write about it, is to pass on our growing "impatience" - that is if he has the courage to "possibly" jeopardize his close relationship with the coach and AD - for we all know that the messenger does bear some risk.
Isn't this about your 85th post about how Akron should drop football and put all their money in basketball?

Herein lies a great question. When a coach is honestly stating what he thinks is wrong, is he making excuses? or just trying to be frank with the fans?In Lee Owens' case, he always seemed to saying what he had to in order to save his job. In fact, it still makes me sick to think about how long we put up with his mediocrity because he continued to be able to snowjob his superiors.In JD's case, only time will tell. I've never bought into the "if only a few more plays went out way, we'd have won 5 more games" mentality. But, it's far too early to tell if he's making excuses to protect himself.Please, we don't need to get rid of our football program. Akron is a large school, and should indeed be playing 1-A football. I'm looking forward to spending a few hours in the Rubber Bowl parking lot tomorrow for the last time this year.Go Zips !!

Re: ZipboyComment is based on Zipboy "reading what he wishes to read;" not what is actually written.I will not allow Zipboy to define me.I have never, ever said that the Zips "should" drop football. If I wanted to advocate for the dropping of football, I would be direct, clear and unmistakable in my advocacy with no apologies for doing so.Mischaracterization, distortion and sheer invention are the tools of those who wish to define a world of their own making. It doesn't speak well of those on engage these tactics. They are destructive of the continued health and vitality of this board. A fair minded person would pose the question: Did you mean to say? Are you suggesting?But not Zipboy. He knows, just ask him. His diatribe is a case-in-point of a person not interested in exchanging points-of-view. It is Zipboy's way or the highway.

Re:  ZipboyComment is based on Zipboy "reading what he wishes to read;" not what is actually written.I will not allow Zipboy to define me.I have never, ever said that the Zips "should" drop football.  If I wanted to advocate for the dropping of football, I would be direct, clear and unmistakable in my advocacy with no apologies for doing so.Mischaracterization, distortion and sheer invention are the tools of those who wish to define a world of their own making.  It doesn't speak well of those on engage these tactics.  They are destructive of the continued health and vitality of this board.  A fair minded person would pose the question:  Did you mean to say?  Are you suggesting?But not Zipboy.  He knows, just ask him.  His diatribe is a case-in-point of a person not interested in exchanging points-of-view.  It is Zipboy's way or the highway.
just spreading the love again analyst??? I have a friend, a long-time poster, who stopped posting and walked way from this board after being reprimanded for calling you out... good to see that he was right and you really are a what he said you are... case in point post above translated " :cry::cry::cry: not fair! :cry::cry::cry:

The 2005 team had better talent by far. Hixon, Montgomery, and Biggs. Hixon was the only reason why Getsy was ever good. I watched Getsy underthrow too many receivers this year because he lacks arm strength. He did it today against Western Michigan. Hixon always bailed him out last year.

Mackey is a born leader. Stokes is also a leader. I think Jabari has potential. But, sad to say, that's about it. A year ago today I was on top of the world with this team. Today, I am peeing down my leg when I think about facing OSU to begin next season! I'm having nightmares about us being completely outclassed and embarassed!But hey, at the very least, when Getsy was smelling up the field last night, it was really good to see Carlton Jackson get some great PT! Oh, wait...?

luke is gone now ;so who are some of the fans going to blame next year. when you get kick's blocked,most penalized team in the mac,and rush for negative yardage the last two game; it does not matter who the qb is.your not going to beat anybody.the zips have alott more issues than just the qb.i do agree he should have played some other qb's once the game was 17-0 and in the fourth qtr.now our starting qb next year has two snaps in a game.with a new ol, and qb going into osu could get ugly.