Game 4- OSU

clarkwgriswold

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Agreed with the general impatience of fans, but I wonder, how long is long enough?  I don't profess to know the answer that question. I'm just curious as to what your view is.

This year is likely "long enough" if we only win 1 game. I'm not sure of my thoughts if they were to win something like 2. If I end up being satisfied based on reasonable expectations this year, my expectations next year are bowl eligible or bust, without a doubt. This would give Arth another year to address issues with players and staff, his original class would be in their 4th year in the program.

There's been a lot of issues the staff has had to face - some self inflicted, and some out of their control. Taking the long approach and booting a lot of Bowden players/playing their recruits, COVID, way under the scholarship limit, losing the best player on offense, potentially defense (McCall), and the O-line coach unexpectedly this season.

I haven’t seen much that makes me think “incompetent” from the coaching staff. Some of the weird head scratching stuff seems to be ref screw ups (based on the games I’ve been to).My biggest head scratcher is some of the personnel decisions, but they’re obviously around the team infinitely more than me. 

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

This year is likely "long enough" if we only win 1 game. I'm not sure of my thoughts if they were to win something like 2. If I end up being satisfied based on reasonable expectations this year, my expectations next year are bowl eligible or bust, without a doubt. This would give Arth another year to address issues with players and staff, his original class would be in their 4th year in the program.

There's been a lot of issues the staff has had to face - some self inflicted, and some out of their control. Taking the long approach and booting a lot of Bowden players/playing their recruits, COVID, way under the scholarship limit, losing the best player on offense, potentially defense (McCall), and the O-line coach unexpectedly this season.

Good summary of what the staff has been through.  Arth getting hired so late as to not sign any recruits till the late signing period his first year (basically getting leftovers; doesn't count), then facing COVID.  The team is still incredibly young.  I give him this year to finally get his ducks in a row.  But next year I want to see a major jump in level of play & bowl eligibility.  We won't be a young team next year.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:43 AM, Blue & Gold said:

💯 Whoever scheduled Auburn & OSU should be tarred and feathered, and then drawn and quartered.

This is how the program avoids budget cuts…

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Good summary of what the staff has been through.  Arth getting hired so late as to not sign any recruits till the late signing period his first year (basically getting leftovers; doesn't count), then facing COVID.  The team is still incredibly young.  I give him this year to finally get his ducks in a row.  But next year I want to see a major jump in level of play & bowl eligibility.  We won't be a young team next year.

Yeah, this really is the key.  There needs to be real progress by the end of this season, and we're seeing some flashes of it with Irons.  I'd like to see another touchdown drive tonight just to make sure they can go home knowing some progress has been made...but we can't go 0-8 in the MAC again.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, exit322 said:

Yeah, this really is the key.  There needs to be real progress by the end of this season, and we're seeing some flashes of it with Irons.  I'd like to see another touchdown drive tonight just to make sure they can go home knowing some progress has been made...but we can't go 0-8 in the MAC again.

with 3 years in and 2 remaining you have to decide whether or not to extend, if not it's that much harder to recruit..

I don't get it! The Zips are playing teams that beat the snot out of them for the money the program gets? What about losing their fan base, chasing away top recruits that won't want to play for a losing program, demoralizing players and disillusioning ones that never get into a game not matter how badly the team is losing, risking injuries in these lopsided games... ? Please explain the logic to me.

• Like 1