Game 4- OSU

clarkwgriswold

41 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

I don't get it! The Zips are playing teams that beat the snot out of them for the money the program gets? What about losing their fan base, chasing away top recruits that won't want to play for a losing program, demoralizing players and disillusioning ones that never get into a game not matter how badly the team is losing, risking injuries in these lopsided games... ? Please explain the logic to me.

Well said, Grandma.  

I'm still fuming about this schedule.  

We need the Vanderbilt's (SEC) and the Purdue's (B1G),

Not Auburn and Ohio State.  

For. Crying. Out. Loud. 

This was absolutely NOT the year for this sort of schedule. 

Where was the adult in the room when the imbecilic idea of scheduling both Auburn and Ohio State was tossed out for discussion?  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

This year is likely "long enough" if we only win 1 game. I'm not sure of my thoughts if they were to win something like 2. If I end up being satisfied based on reasonable expectations this year, my expectations next year are bowl eligible or bust, without a doubt. This would give Arth another year to address issues with players and staff, his original class would be in their 4th year in the program.

There's been a lot of issues the staff has had to face - some self inflicted, and some out of their control. Taking the long approach and booting a lot of Bowden players/playing their recruits, COVID, way under the scholarship limit, losing the best player on offense, potentially defense (McCall), and the O-line coach unexpectedly this season.

I haven’t seen much that makes me think “incompetent” from the coaching staff. Some of the weird head scratching stuff seems to be ref screw ups (based on the games I’ve been to).My biggest head scratcher is some of the personnel decisions, but they’re obviously around the team infinitely more than me. 

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate your posts on here so I was curious as to your view.

Certainly, this staff has been faced with some unfortunate obstacles.  I don't want to reactivate the eternal Bowden/Arth debate but the program had some real issues when he came in and the exodus of players (regardless of the reason) set the program back even further.   My concern is that I am not seeing a considerable improvement on the field from the team of two years ago and I don't see the experience on this coaching staff to right the ship.  There are position groups that have improved, like the receiving corps, and Irons looks like he could be good, but the on the field results don't seem to be changing.  I am afraid that Arth's focus on the culture has resulted in less talented squads and that his unwillingness or inability to use the transfer portal to help through the initial lean years of his tenure have further set back the program.   I hope to hell I am wrong.

In any event, he's not going anywhere so we're left to hope.

• Thanks 1

That’s the first touchdown Akron has scored against Ohio State in over 20 years, so that’s cool! Other than that, I saw about what I expected to see. The defense actually made a couple of plays and forced a turnover, I couldn’t believe it. And the TD drive to take the brief lead was a lot of fun. 

I guess all you can really take away from this is the $1.8M. Oh, and Irons continues to look the part. If he wills us to a couple of MAC wins, he may save Arth’s rear end. He a tough, tough guy and I’m glad he wears the blue & gold.

Onto Ohio. If we drop this one, it’s not looking good for Arth. Guthrie won’t put up with 1-11 in year three. No way in hell. Nor should he. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

That’s the first touchdown Akron has scored against Ohio State in over 20 years, so that’s cool! Other than that, I saw about what I expected to see. The defense actually made a couple of plays and forced a turnover, I couldn’t believe it. And the TD drive to take the brief lead was a lot of fun. 

I guess all you can really take away from this is the $1.8M. Oh, and Irons continues to look the part. If he wills us to a couple of MAC wins, he may save Arth’s rear end. He a tough, tough guy and I’m glad he wears the blue & gold.

Onto Ohio. If we drop this one, it’s not looking good for Arth. Guthrie won’t put up with 1-11 in year three. No way in hell. Nor should he. 

Read this aloud in my house, and there was complete agreement.  Take aways:

1.  one more reason to loathe and despise Ohio State.

2.  I think that Temple game would have come out differently if say it were next week.  But no point rehashing the past.

3.  Big, big game next week that will tell the tale.  3:30pm at Info on what looks to be a perfect day for football.

4.  I don't have a problem with these pay-out games.  Yes, Auburn and Ohio State are brutal choices, and (unlike basketball where there's a chance a top D1 program could lose to the Zips) Power 5 schools should be begging/willing to write big checks to play Akron.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

What I don't see many people mentioning is that the players themselves want these games against top teams. The players want the chance to prove that they were overlooked and can compete with the big dogs. You think that the players that were on the team a few years ago don't still talk about the time that the refs screwed them from walking into the big house and leaving with a W? It is absolutely a recruiting tool to be able to say to a kid that grew up an OSU fan that we have a game scheduled where they get to play in the horseshoe like they have always dreamed.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The Pitt and NW seasons ended badly and frankly Bowdens total mismanagement of the clock almost cost Zips that game in Evanston.   But...Zips were to play Nebraska as well.  That is more realistic than AU and BlowSU.

We would've beaten Nebraska.  Then one of the football gods - which one I don't know, they're all against us - hurled a lightning bolt to stop the game.

Edited by Blue & Gold

G5 programs have been playing P5 programs for a nicer payday for as long as I can remember. And I’m old… These games make up a significant part of the athletic department’s budgets every year.

I’m surprised after alll these decades of taking a beating for the program this just came up,

7 hours ago, Zips Win! said:

It's the same lazy, idiotic scheduling AD after AD.  Now, Tennessee next year at $1M? 

Find someone who knows what the hell he is doing! 

I like Irons. He is one tough dude!

Unless you have a mil to donate to the athletic department I wouldn't comment on scheduling. 

As of now Power 5 payments cover our negligent fan base 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spin said:

G5 programs have been playing P5 programs for a nicer payday for as long as I can remember. And I’m old… These games make up a significant part of the athletic department’s budgets every year.

I’m surprised after alll these decades of taking a beating for the program this just came up,

there is nothing wrong with scheduling 1 or 2 pay day games a year..its the games vs the bluebloods I think most are complaining about. 

19 hours ago, Football grandma said:

I don't get it! The Zips are playing teams that beat the snot out of them for the money the program gets? What about losing their fan base, chasing away top recruits that won't want to play for a losing program, demoralizing players and disillusioning ones that never get into a game not matter how badly the team is losing, risking injuries in these lopsided games... ? Please explain the logic to me.

Life is full of trade-offs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spin said:

These games make up a significant part of the athletic department’s budgets every year.

I guess that's depends on how you define

significant. $1 million is 2.8% of $35.5 million.  I don't find that significant. In fact, I'm pretty convinced there are better ways to fund the athletic department and Ohio MAC departments that would better benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general communities around these schools. 

Scheduling almost complete non competitive games is an incredibly lazy and short sighted way of funding athletic departments.

MAC athletic directors simply do not function with the best interest of their schools in mind. 

Edited by GP1

11 hours ago, Zips Win! said:

It's the same lazy, idiotic scheduling AD after AD.  Now, Tennessee next year at $1M? 

Find someone who knows what the hell he is doing! 

Every parent has had experienced their child reaching into their diaper and pulling out a handful of crap then saying, "Look Daddy, poo."  I thought of this when I read the press release about the Tennessee game. 

32 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I guess that's depends on how you define

significant. $1 million is 2.8% of $35.5 million.  I don't find that significant. In fact, I'm pretty convinced there are better ways to fund the athletic department and Ohio MAC departments that would better benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general communities around these schools. 

Scheduling almost complete non competitive games is an incredibly lazy and short sighted way of funding athletic departments.

MAC athletic directors simply do not function with the best interest of their schools in mind.

This is the dumbest post I've ever read on this site 

19 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Oh how dare the AD try to generate revenue 

I do not know Guthrie.  I do not know Arth.  I do not know anyone in Akron's athletic department.  But, I do know that if there was a way to generate that kind of cash that the department needs without having to go get beat by 52 or 50 by Ohio State and Auburn, I know they'd listen.

Absent that...you're gonna see Akron play money games most years.

Edited by exit322
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exit322 said:

I do not know Guthrie.  I do not know Arth.  I do not know anyone in Akron's athletic department.  But, I do know that if there was a way to generate that kind of cash that the department needs without having to go get beat by 52 or 50 by Ohio State and Auburn, I know they'd listen.

Absent that...you're gonna see Akron play money games most years.

All i gotta say is $$$$$ dosen't grow on trees and when you can only draw less than 9,000 to a 30,000 seat stadium I dunno what and how folks expect the athletic department to generate revenue. 

For example That school in Columbus we just played generates $15 mil in revenue every home game compared to Akron who takes a financial loss not only every home game but also every conference road game too. 

Yeah good ol Bryant will draw fans huh

So yall want more of this?

Screen-Shot-2021-09-26-at-9-57-44-PM

Edited by dre22era
  • Like 1

The irony of one knowledgeable poster being upset about "way under the scholarship limit" and several others complaining about payday games (which has gone on for decades) would be funny. If it wasn't Zips fans. 

• Like 1