Game 4- OSU

clarkwgriswold

Playing P5 schools is good for the players and a good recruiting tool. It gives the players a chance to play in some of the best venues, to get game film against better talent and looks from pro scouts, and is a reminder that they play D1 football, when most of their conference games feel more like high school.

And yes, we need the money.

The down side is that you often lose kids to injuries in those games that end up impacting the rest of the season. How many seasons did Greg Ball not make it to a conference game because of the OOC injuries? And yes , the season went downhill after Northwestern, but how many injuries did we suffer through in OOC play? It's tough enough to get great talent for your 1's and 2's at the G5 level, nearly impossible when you to the 3's and deeper level.

Balance is the key.. When teams load up on P5 games, it shows they have been unsuccessful at other fundraising activities.

App State plays one P5 schools, #22 Miami in 2021. They lost by three points. I think where App State is where most G5 coaches would like their programs to mature to.

35 minutes ago, Spin said:

The irony of one knowledgeable poster being upset about "way under the scholarship limit" and several others complaining about payday games (which has gone on for decades) would be funny. If it wasn't Zips fans. 

This is missing the point. It’s not payday games in general, it’s scheduling the best-of-the-best, at this point in our programs “development”, instead of the other 70% of schools we could schedule for payday games; games in which we may have a slight chance at not becoming a state-wide laughing stock.  It’s Monday, as a known Zips fan I now can enjoy being mocked & having eyes rolled at me at work today.  Auburn and Ohio State, this year, with this team, was imbecilic. 

• Like 1

The question is, do the lower tier payday games pay the same as top 10 teams? I would be all for playing the 20th through say 50th ranked programs if the bottom line was the same.

Were probably well below even FCS standards for schollys. And Your typical MAC program.

Prime Time Saturday Night against Ohio State hmmmmm.........

It will probably be a Decade before we get any exposure on the level that we got Saturday. 

The game was not only about the money. 

The exposure alone helped the University as a whole in regards to enrollment and notoriety.

That game was basically a TV Ad we pay for to run during the Superbowl Annually but in this case we got a fat check and 3+ hours exposure with an audience of over a million viewers. 

Edited by dre22era

1 hour ago, dre22era said:

It will probably be a Decade before we get any exposure on the level that we got Saturday. 

The exposure alone helped the University as a whole in regards to enrollment and notoriety.

That game was basically a TV Ad we pay for to run during the Superbowl Annually but in this case we got a fat check and 3+ hours exposure with an audience of over a million viewers. 

Only primetime on Big Ten Network. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:36 PM, dre22era said:

This season was my dream schedule. 

If we get mad for scheduling to compete against the best then we Damn sure don't belong on a D1 level. 

In the past excluding HBCUs I got tired of us scheduling a bunch of no name schools. 

And we Damn sure need the money. 

I haven't seen D1 level play or coaching. Perhaps the program isn't D level after all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dre22era said:

I'm sure that's what the coaches explained to the disheartened team at the end of an embarrassing game. Lol "You took the hits for prime time exposure for university. You gained notoriety from millions of viewers as a team that gets its butt kicked by a losing D1 team. But hey, think of it this way. You saved the school the cost of a Superbowl ad and the school earned a fat check on your backs. Way to go team! Rah, rah!"

3 hours ago, dre22era said:

I've heard the exposure argument for years. How are these exposure games working out for G5 schools?  As far as I can tell, we've never been as far behind the P5 schools as we are now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dre22era said:

What utter nonsense. In what UNIVERSE are you living in? Seriously...it's not the 1920s. Precisely ZERO people watched that game and went "GeE I mIgHt Go To AkRoN" like come on.  Getting drummed by OSU on not-national television does nothing for enrollment or notoriety, nor does it help with any level of advertising. Akron played a hell of a game against Tennessee in 2012, and followed that up by almost beating Michigan in 2013.

If that contention is true, that it "helps with enrollment" there should have been a bump no? At the very least maintained right? UA's enrollment in Fall 2012 was 30,000.  In Fall 2013 it was 27,000. Which was the verge of a half-decade of constant declining enrollment which in large part created the financial mess the University has been in for nearly a decade, because it was built on the debt-mirage of constant growth.  

This is the same tired, easily debunkable argument made to justify ridiculous spending by administrators who want to pad their resume. Kinda unbelievable to see people on this board still making it lit it's a serious argument.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

What utter nonsense. In what UNIVERSE are you living in? 

The Wishful Thinking Universe. My mother always said, "Make a wish or crap in your hat. See which one fills up first."

The exposure argument is made by G5 athletic directors right before they do something in their own self interest that harms the school they work for. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

What's that?

I meant to type $3.6million.  that is the amount of $$ Akron received for playing those two games.  It's not about exposure.  It's not about anything other than the $$$$.  Frankly, I don't think the players go to bed crying after a huge loss to Auburn or Ohio State.   

Edited by NWAkron

I brought up going back to FCS a couple years ago and almost got run out of town. Then TB came along, eventually had a couple wining seasons and a bowl win, and then he didn't anymore and got fired. And it's back tom the same old bottom 5 bullcrap.

My question is, how do FCS schools cover football expenses without the "payday" money grabs? Division 2? Division 3? NAIA?

Ohio has two FCS programs (in different conferences but, whatever), 8 D2 programs, and 20 D3 programs. That's 30 college programs in Ohio that don't depend on an annual A$$kicking For Dollars. The lines are still painted on the field. New helmets and pads and uniforms are ordered. The refs show up and the announcer climbs into the booth. The stadium lights come on if it's too dark. The games get played. 

8 hours ago, Spin said:

My question is, how do FCS schools cover football expenses without the "payday" money grabs? Division 2? Division 3? NAIA?

I've wondered the same for years.  We're always talking about payday games, but you never hear Walsh or Dayton... or for that matter even high schools... talking about payday games.

Our facilities are, obviously, more expensive to maintain than D-II or D-III schools, but other than that, what's the big difference?  

Edited by Blue & Gold

9 hours ago, Spin said:

I brought up going back to FCS a couple years ago and almost got run out of town. Then TB came along, eventually had a couple wining seasons and a bowl win, and then he didn't anymore and got fired. And it's back tom the same old bottom 5 bullcrap.

Ohio has two FCS programs (in different conferences but, whatever), 8 D2 programs, and 20 D3 programs. That's 30 college programs in Ohio that don't depend on an annual A$$kicking For Dollars. The lines are still painted on the field. New helmets and pads and uniforms are ordered. The refs show up and the announcer climbs into the booth. The stadium lights come on if it's too dark. The games get played. 

I used to fight back against this idea, until about 5 years ago. The Western Michigan Broncos in 2016 were the best MAC team to ever take the field. They beat two Big Ten teams in nonconference and destroyed every single MAC team they faced. How were they rewarded? A trip to the Cotton Bowl for a fancy exhibition game in which they lost to Wisconsin by 8. Never even a whiff of a national championship or playoff of any kind. Now would I LOVE for Akron to miraculously be that good some day? Absolutely! But when you are perfect and unbeatable for 13 games and your reward is essentially just another bowl game, I start to question what the point is. I understand there is a somewhat valid exposure argument, plus money gained through TV contracts. However, how do you weigh having a legendary football team going on a run vs. the basketball program going on a similar run? I am very curious to know which is more "worth it" if you're successful, being big time G5 football, or being a top mid-major basketball program that wins in the NCAA tournament.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I don't fall into the camp which thinks all publicity is good publicity.  I'd rather have none than this:

Additionally, we don't need potential recruits seeing stuff like this nor any thoughts being put in DJ's head. (He "liked" the tweet.)

Not good...