Murder south of Campus

ZZZips

Damn, the young lady was only a month into college.

This should help draw kids to the school.  Like many urban schools, there are some damn scary areas around the campus.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/news/crime/2021/09/20/university-akron-student-killed-shooting-identified-maya-mcfetridge-kling-wheeler-street/5783915001/

Edited by clarkwgriswold

That is a shame. I was talking with an Akron Public Schools teacher this weekend and they were telling me how kids in the city turn down free education at Akron to go to Kent St because they feel that strongly against the U....years and years of embarrassment in many aspects we'll need to overcome.

32 minutes ago, LZIp said:

That is a shame. I was talking with an Akron Public Schools teacher this weekend and they were telling me how kids in the city turn down free education at Akron to go to Kent St because they feel that strongly against the U....years and years of embarrassment in many aspects we'll need to overcome.

If they don't like embarrassment, wait until they try and put that KSU diploma to use. 

There has always been gun play around urban schools. It happened when I was in school only we kept the problem to Kathryn Place.....on May Day. OSU had a parent killed on campus this month. I think the school is doing everything it can to influence something it doesn't have any control over. 

Onward.....

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

If they don't like embarrassment, wait until they try and put that KSU diploma to use. 

There has always been gun play around urban schools. It happened when I was in school only we kept the problem to Kathryn Place.....on May Day. OSU had a parent killed on campus this month. I think the school is doing everything it can to influence something it doesn't have any control over. 

Onward.....

Agree.  Tired of the constant negativity.   The problem is not the University.   The problem is the rampant availability of guns and young people urban and rural as well who fetishize firearms.  

The problem may be societal, but it is also one of perception. In that area UA suffers greatly. Kent has a far better reputation in the eyes of Joe and Mary Ohio. It has had better leadership in touting its strengths, keeping financially viable and having a positive image in both sports and campus life. I have talked with several guidance counselors in greater Columbus and all have a higher opinion of Kent than UA. We have much to rebuild. 

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

The problem may be societal, but it is also one of perception. In that area UA suffers greatly. Kent has a far better reputation in the eyes of Joe and Mary Ohio. It has had better leadership in touting its strengths, keeping financially viable and having a positive image in both sports and campus life. I have talked with several guidance counselors in greater Columbus and all have a higher opinion of Kent than UA. We have much to 

Nice how you can turn a shooting incident and a girls death into an advertisement for PCCC.

The university can only improve when it understands the truth of where it stands. Since when is that a negative? Do we really want a situation analogous to the emperors new cloths where the public believes one thing but leadership is totally out of touch? I have never been a fan of Kent, but I do recognize when they have done something better than us.

As for this tragedy I am horrified. I pray for the young lady's soul and I pray for the Lord to comfort, somehow, her family and friends. I hope the shooter is brought to justice.

I think the crime level difference between PCCC and UA is largely geographically based.  PCCC is essentially an entity adjoining a small town, largely away from an urban setting and the crime that comes with it.  I'd imagine Hiram, essentially in the middle of nowhere, is safer than PCCC. 

That being said, UA is a part of the City and should be involved in the effort.  Also, mommies and daddies sending their babies off to college aren't going to like visuals like this and most are not going to do the research to figure out that this was off campus.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:41 PM, GP1 said:

There has always been gun play around urban schools. It happened when I was in school only we kept the problem to Kathryn Place.....on May Day.

During my time at UA, a kid who was a bouncer at The Townhouse got shot at the Katheryn Place party. He was in my (now) wife's Spanish class. He survived.

Katheryn Place was a great college party in the mid-to-late 80's. Over time, more non-college kids began showing up. At the last party I attended, I saw a co-worker from Mentor. He'd heard about the big party and drove down with a van load of friends and some Stroh's 15 packs.

Katheryn Place was always packed with people. Shoulder to shoulder, for a full block. The night of the shooting a group of maybe 10 kids just began pushing through the crowd trying to start a fight. I left. The next day I read about the "riot" in the Beacon. Glad I left.

I used to love the Katheryn, Wheeler and other block parties. We had a 15 kegger in our back yard, complete with beer truck, a couple times. But once things get too big, the riff raff comes in, and things get out of control. 

Having a 20 year old son @ UC right now, I can't imagine getting the phone call those parents received. Absolutely heartbreaking.  

• Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 10:12 PM, NWAkron said:

Agree.  Tired of the constant negativity.   The problem is not the University.   The problem is the rampant availability of guns and young people urban and rural as well who fetishize firearms.  

The CITY as a whole is the problem 

Crime in Akron is up, at this point in 2019 24 people had been murdered, in 2020 that number was 36, and so far in 2021, 39 people have been murdered.

From year to date in 2019 police responded to 332 shooting incidents, in 2020 that number was 527 and so far in 2021 we are at 532.

Through August police seized 916 guns, that’s a 60% increase compared to last year.

• Like 2