Zips traveling to Tennessee in 2022

LZIp

Though Tennessee isn't on the level of Auburn or OSU, Guthrie would appear to be continuing the tradition of whoring ourselves out for a pay day. We'll already be playing Michigan State and Liberty which will both be very tough games. Only home OOC game will be vs St Francis. Would much rather see us play another G5 or a 2 for 1 with a P5.

https://gozips.com/news/2021/9/21/akron-football-to-play-at-tennessee-in-2022.aspx

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:52 PM, LoyalZIP said:

A home game against a decent FCS game then three near guarantee losses on the road. Brutal. At least Tennessee is a cool trip. 

We played Tennessee close for a half during Bowden's first season before getting outscored 24-3 in the 2nd half.  I remember because I was RIDICULOUSLY excited for our prospects in future seasons.  

Since then, Tennessee has won 5, 5, 7, 9, 9, 4, 5, 8, and 3 games.  They were awful last year and have already lost to Pitt (who was beaten by Western) this year.  It's still unlikely, but this is a winnable game and a decent add to the schedule on short notice.

P.S:  It's a 7.5 hour drive from Akron to Knoxville, so I'm gonna have to think about this one 

• Like 3

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2021/09/27/tennessee-football-cancels-game-vs-army-vols-2022-schedule-akron/5847063001/

Falls into the category that any publicity is good publicity?  These politicians need to get over themselves.  

"Disheartened.

That’s the word Tennessee state Rep. Dave Wright (R-Knoxville), an Army veteran and University of Tennessee alumnus, used to describe his reaction to UT canceling its 2022 football game against Army.

I’ll take it a step further.

Yes, UT’s decision to replace Army with an easier opponent — Akron — for its Sept. 17, 2022, game is disheartening.

It’s also dishonorable and shameful. 

And it shows how far Tennessee football has fallen that it chickened out of playing a service academy.

It’s even more disgraceful when you consider that the 2022 Congressional Medal of Honor Society Convention will occur that week in Knoxville."

On 9/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, zippy5 said:

Surprised we still had an open date for next year. I went to the Pitt game at Tennessee last week. Awesome place, anyone that's able to go should try to make the trip down

I definitely will! My family is all from Tennessee, and my cousin and I were both in college at Akron and UT when they played last. Looking forward to making the journey down there again 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Watching Tennessee vs Purdue now. Heupel has that program going in the right direction and that offense strikes fast. Not good for a rebuilding defense.

Purdue has the ball & with opportunity to win.  Rather have Tennessee than Ohio State & Auburn

plus a whole stadium singing Rocky Top Tennessee is worth it, one of my favorites with WVU Country Roads

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm excited for this game for the atmosphere. Hoping to be able to make the trip to Rocky Top. 

This is a fun game and one of the best non-Playoff bowl game atmospheres ever. 

Doesn't hurt TN is playing in front of a home crowd in Nashville.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Still takes effort for the Vols fans to show up to a meaningless bowl game. Good for them. 

Meaningless is a relative term. For Purdue and TN fans it wasn't meaningless. College football fans are looking at Bowl season all the wrong way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Volunteers got a little screwed by the refs in OT. 

Clark, I would have to disagree Sir. Im not a fan of either team . If you watched ,the RB momentum was stopped way before he finally decided to stretch the ball across the goal line. Now had he immediately stretched the ball over before his momentum was stopped then its a TD.

8 hours ago, John Ward said:

Clark, I would have to disagree Sir. Im not a fan of either team . If you watched ,the RB momentum was stopped way before he finally decided to stretch the ball across the goal line. Now had he immediately stretched the ball over before his momentum was stopped then its a TD.

I thought he still had a little forward momentum after initially being pushed back.  Fun game in any event.

• Like 1

After watching the 2nd half of the game, the Zips will have their hands full next year if the Vols return the majority of the team (I did not research the roster). Or, if JoeMo gets a bunch more experienced transfers, it can make this game competitive, if not, this game will look like the Auburn or $uckeye loss of 2021.  Happy Zipadays to All!

On 9/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, zipsoutsider said:

Knoxville is an awesome game day experience. This one is worth the drive.

Very nice drive if you like natural mountain scenery. We came that way back from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. I wish we could have seen more of Knoxville but the little lady had had enough of exploring.

6 hours ago, Spin said:

Very nice drive if you like natural mountain scenery. We came that way back from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. I wish we could have seen more of Knoxville but the little lady had had enough of exploring.

I made it back this fall and spent 2 weeks in the Knoxville and Gatlinburg area. I had forgotten how beautiful the area was, how friendly the people are (unless you are Lane Kiffin), and how good the food was.

• Like 1

https://www.outkick.com/avoiding-prime-time-dont-expect-to-see-deion-sanders-coached-jsu-play-any-power-5s/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1640960868

This is as good of a place as any. Sanders is showing himself to be a smart guy. A program needs to be built around winning. Don't build losing into a program. 

Don't tell me the money angle. HBCUs are in far worse financial condition than other state schools.