Schools we presently should NOT be scheduling - for the idiots out there.

Blue & Gold

As I sit here, a beleaguered, defeated Zips fan, once again feeling aggravated and deeply embarrassed, I present a common-sense list of schools we should NOT be scheduling at our program's present state.  There will, naturally, be year-to-year exceptions to the schools heretofore listed, but this list can function as a simple rule-of-thumb that any normally-functioning adult will understand without explanation.

P5 Programs to AVOID:

ACC:

Clemson

Florida State

Notre Dame

Miami (FL)

B1G:

Ohio State

Michigan

Wisconsin

Penn State

Big 12:

Baylor

Oklahoma State

Texas

Oklahoma

Pac-12:

Oregon

USC

SEC:

Alabama

Auburn

Florida

Georgia

LSU

Texas A&M

To our adult decision makers, this comprises only 20 (less than 30% of P5) schools we have no business scheduling right now.  Not difficult.  

This leaves over 70% of P5 schools from which to choose:

11 ACC schools:

Boston College

Duke

Georgia Tech

Louisville

North Carolina

NC State

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Virginia

Virginia Tech (borderline)

Wake Forest

10 B1G schools:

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa (borderline)

Maryland

Michigan State

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Purdue

Rutgers

10 Big 12 schools:

BYU

Cincinnati

Houston

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

TCU

Texas Tech

UCF

West Virginia

10 Pac-12 schools:

Arizona

Arizona State

California

UCLA

Colorado

Oregon State

Stanford

Utah

Washington

Washington State

8 SEC schools:

Arkansas

Kentucky

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Missouri

South Carolina

Tennessee (borderline)

Vanderbilt

Idiots.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

The problem is that some of these games are set so far out that it's impossible to know where the opponent, or the Zips, will be once the game get here.  Most of the teams you reference though are pretty solid blue blood programs that are at the top from year to year.  My other worry is the lack of the funding provided by these games would accelerate the push for a move to FCS or D2.  Maybe the answer to that would be to play three games against teams like Vandy, Wake and Rutgers and forego the Bryants of the world.  Those games are nearly as worthless on the other end of the spectrum from the OSU and Auburns. 

• Thanks 2

@clarkwgriswold, good post.  I'm out of reactions for the day. 😕

I like the idea of 3 mid-to-low-tier P5 games.  Something... ANYTHING... rather than getting slaughtered by the handful of college football Blue Bloods.  Not right now.  And not two in one year.  Auburn and Ohio State?  With this team?  Lord.

• Like 1

I would enjoy a trip to Notre Dame. They’ve shown some vulnerability over the years.  Also, Miami doesn’t belong on that list. Toledo and CMU have given them scares recently and they haven’t really been relevant in like 20 years. 

Other than that, it’s hard to disagree. It’s nice to see Indiana and Kentucky (coming to Infocision at some point) on the upcoming schedules. A Purdue would be nice to see, a West Virginia trip would be fun. Kansas would be perfect. Multiple MAC schools have even done home-and-homes with them. If I were an AD, putting together a schedule would be one of the most fun parts of the job where you can put a unique and strategic spin on things. 

Like I said in the game thread, these games against top 10 or top 20 programs are a big part of the budget for the program.

We don’t want to drop to FCS or D2, but we don’t know how to fill the stadium/charge $$$ for parking/sell memorabilia on game day. Or how to increase tv ratings so we can get a lucrative contract…

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

As I sit here, a beleaguered, defeated Zips fan, once again feeling aggravated and deeply embarrassed, I present a common-sense list of schools we should NOT be scheduling at our program's present state.  There will, naturally, be year-to-year exceptions to the schools heretofore listed, but this list can function as a simple rule-of-thumb that any normally-functioning adult will understand without explanation.

To our adult decision makers, this comprises only 20 (less than 30% of P5) schools we have no business scheduling right now.  Not difficult.  

FIXED IT FOR YOU.

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

11 ACC schools:

Boston College

Duke

Georgia Tech

Louisville

North Carolina

NC State

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Virginia

Wake Forest

10 B1G schools:

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa (borderline)

Maryland

Michigan State

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Purdue

Rutgers

10 Big 12 schools:

BYU

Cincinnati

Houston

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

TCU

Texas Tech

UCF

West Virginia

10 Pac-12 schools:

Arizona

Arizona State

California

UCLA

Colorado

Oregon State

Stanford

Utah

Washington

Washington State

8 SEC schools:

Arkansas

Kentucky

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Missouri

South Carolina

Tennessee (borderline)

Vanderbilt

Idiots.

Isn't there a market dimension to this?  Don't the blue bloods tend to pay more for their buy-games?  So, the question may be, how much money are you willing to leave on the table to avoid playing someone.  And is that fiscally responsible?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Isn't there a market dimension to this?  Don't the blue bloods tend to pay more for their buy-games?  So, the question may be, how much money are you willing to leave on the table to avoid playing someone.  And is that fiscally responsible?

Exactly.  Ultimately, what's the difference between a loss by 21 at Iowa State with a $800,000 pay out and a 40 point loss at Auburn with a $1.8 million pay out?  A million $ left on the table.  I bet the athletic department searches for the biggest pay out they can find.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the evolution of college football eventually brings an end to these games.  Eventually may see the big time teams and conferences break off into their own entity or merge in such a manner that they fully fill their schedules with others in their own groupings.  This will all just further cement the haves and have nots situation of FBS football.

I meant to posted this in this thread, but I'll leave it up in the OSU thread as well:

I don't fall into the camp which thinks all publicity is good publicity.  I'd rather have none than this:

We don't need potential recruits seeing stuff like this, nor any thoughts being put in DJ's head. (He "liked" the tweet.)

I think Akron should try to do something to link games with its local treasure (The Pro Football Hall of Fame), particularly as it has seats in the stadium to sell to visiting teams.  Locations that have special attractiveness to visiting teams (Akron/Canton, Orlando, Las Vegas).  Maybe even play the game at the Hall of Fame field.  I would pay a premium for that experience.  As a point of reference, UNLV had its 7th largest home attendance two weeks ago, thanks to 28,000 Iowa State fans partying in Vegas.  Last year, before we recognized that we were good, we said that our most anticipated game last year was this year's game in Vegas.  Granted, we are a weird fan base (insert "nothing else to do in Iowa" joke) and Vegas is Vegas.  Still, there is something to be said for leveraging what you have in order to draw fans.  Most of those Iowa State fans paid $121+ for tickets!  UNLV and Allegient Stadium played us like a drum (even selling $33 tickets, but only a few weeks before the game, effectively destroying the after-market for extra tickets).  What other college team has something more like the "Field of Dreams" than the Hall of Fame field?  

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the evolution of college football eventually brings an end to these games.  Eventually may see the big time teams and conferences break off into their own entity or merge in such a manner that they fully fill their schedules with others in their own groupings.  This will all just further cement the haves and have nots situation of FBS football.

Didn't some of the non-Power 5 conferences get together for scheduling and marketing and other areas last summer? Something is in the works.

And the MAC is not invited.

10 minutes ago, Spin said:

Didn't some of the non-Power 5 conferences get together for scheduling and marketing and other areas last summer? Something is in the works.

And the MAC is not invited.

Yep, the Big 10 and Pac 12 got together following the SEC poaching from the Big 12.   I think you'll eventually see super conferences and a break off from the NCAA,

3 hours ago, Cykron said:

I think Akron should try to do something to link games with its local treasure (The Pro Football Hall of Fame), particularly as it has seats in the stadium to sell to visiting teams.  Locations that have special attractiveness to visiting teams (Akron/Canton, Orlando, Las Vegas).  Maybe even play the game at the Hall of Fame field.  I would pay a premium for that experience.  As a point of reference, UNLV had its 7th largest home attendance two weeks ago, thanks to 28,000 Iowa State fans partying in Vegas.  Last year, before we recognized that we were good, we said that our most anticipated game last year was this year's game in Vegas.  Granted, we are a weird fan base (insert "nothing else to do in Iowa" joke) and Vegas is Vegas.  Still, there is something to be said for leveraging what you have in order to draw fans.  Most of those Iowa State fans paid $121+ for tickets!  UNLV and Allegient Stadium played us like a drum (even selling $33 tickets, but only a few weeks before the game, effectively destroying the after-market for extra tickets).  What other college team has something more like the "Field of Dreams" than the Hall of Fame field?  

I always said if you can't sell football in Northeast Ohio, where the (what would become the) NFL had four franchises at one time, where some high school games draw better than most colleges, you're a loser. Yeah Ohio State has the history and legacy and all that. But seriously you should be able to fill the Info for some games.

Granted the team is an FBS laughingstock that has a winning record in only a handful of seasons in our lifetime. That doesn't help. But the marketing "effort" put forth by the U is embarrassing. 

The university has to BUY it's own tickets to stay in the FBS. In what world is that responsible, or even possible?

Football country deserves better.

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Yep, the Big 10 and Pac 12 got together following the SEC poaching from the Big 12.   I think you'll eventually see super conferences and a break off from the NCAA,

TY it was FBS conferences. Which could very well mean the end of the payday games. it sounds like they're going to be scheduling schools from within the alliance for non-con games. It makes better sense for them (and the networks) to have alliance schools playing each other (attendance, ratings) than thrashing  wannabe "major" programs and not selling out.

5 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I mean, other than the checks being cut during weeks 1-4, it already is that way.  The "non-conference" schedule has morphed into the "preseason schedule."   All we're waiting on now is for the "haves" to formalize it.  And if these super conferences are finalized before the CFP expands to 8+ teams, we can probably kiss goodbye any opportunity for G5 teams to gain access.

Would be cool if FBS pulled off some sort of relegation system like European professional soccer, but the odds of that are probably worse than mine are for winning the Powerball jackpot tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

Would be cool if FBS pulled off some sort of relegation system like European professional soccer, but the odds of that are probably worse than mine are for winning the Powerball jackpot tomorrow.

This would NOT be cool.

If this were to happen, it would be unsafe to walk outside because there would be no way to avoid getting hit by the crap from all the flying pigs.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:22 AM, Blue & Gold said:

P5 Programs to AVOID:

ACC:

Clemson

Florida State

Notre Dame

Miami (FL)

B1G:

Ohio State

Michigan

Wisconsin

Penn State

Big 12:

Baylor

Oklahoma State

Texas

Oklahoma

Pac-12:

Oregon

USC

SEC:

Alabama

Auburn

Florida

Georgia

LSU

Texas A&M

11 ACC schools:

Boston College

Duke

Georgia Tech

Louisville

North Carolina

NC State

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Virginia

Wake Forest

10 B1G schools:

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa (borderline)

Maryland

Michigan State

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Purdue

Rutgers

10 Big 12 schools:

BYU

Cincinnati

Houston

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

TCU

Texas Tech

UCF

West Virginia

10 Pac-12 schools:

Arizona

Arizona State

California

UCLA

Colorado

Oregon State

Stanford

Utah

Washington

Washington State

8 SEC schools:

Arkansas

Kentucky

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Missouri

South Carolina

Tennessee (borderline)

Vanderbilt

Idiots.

How about stop giving a damn about Akron Football since you are so invested in us basically playing NOBODY

Since you basically want Akron to be a High School Football program go antagonize one of them and take Arth with you. 

16 hours ago, Cykron said:

Not long ago Akron spent $65 million on a new stadium. That money wasn't spent so games could be moved to Canton. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GP1 said:

Not long ago Akron spent $65 million on a new stadium. That money wasn't spent so games could be moved to Canton. 

Good point.  However, what was the $65 million spent for?  A stadium?  Or a stadium full of fans?  You guys need something that puts some oomph into your program.  The current plan isn't working out so well. 

Our Iowa State AD was giddy over the fact that we brought nearly 30,000 fans to Vegas a few weeks ago.  By some simple math, that was $30 million spent by fans of which he got nothing.  Nothing except happy fans!  It is why we are almost selling out our stadium for this week's game with Kansas.