Schools we presently should NOT be scheduling - for the idiots out there.

Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I've officially lost what very little credibility I had to begin with. 😂

Join the club. Watching Zip football the last several years, including Bowden's, it's easy to lose your sanity along with credibility. But I must say Clark would probably have a better record than our current coach. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

And while I'm at it, let me be clear I wasn't calling anyone on ZN.o an idiot.  That was directed at our decision makers in the athletics dept.  (Frankly, I think it was likely our former athletics director).  I wrote that when I was still upset.  Now I feel more numb and resigned.

I guarantee Those who guaranteed the athletic dept 3.6mill don't feel like idiots 

• Like 1

List of schools to avoid...

South Florida

Charlotte

Ball State

Fresno State

Air Force

Arkansas State

Appalachian State

East Carolina

Temple

North Texas

Florida Atlantic

Central Michigan

Bowling Green

Hawaiʻi

Boise State

Louisiana

Coastal Carolina

Tulane

Rice

FIU

Eastern Michigan

Buffalo

Nevada

Colorado State

Louisiana–Monroe

Georgia Southern

Memphis

Tulsa

Southern Miss

Marshall

Northern Illinois

UNLV

New Mexico

South Alabama

Georgia State

Navy

UAB

Middle Tennessee

Toledo

Miami (OH)

San Diego State

Utah State

Texas State

Troy

SMU

UTEP

Old Dominion

Western Michigan

Ohio

San Jose State

Wyoming

UTSA

Western Kentucky

Play Kent once a year, and make the rest P5 Pay Day Games. Offer schools a discount if they come to The Info, and figure out a way to fill The Info with other events in the meantime. 

41 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Play Kent once a year, and make the rest P5 Pay Day Games. Offer schools a discount if they come to The Info, and figure out a way to fill The Info with other events in the meantime. 

We can’t hold high school games there. The artificial turf at their stadiums is in better shape the the Info’s.

17 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I do like scheduling OSU.  I just didn't want to see them on the schedule this year.  I knew it was going to be embarrassing.  I take enough ribbing for being a Zips fan.  The Monday at work following the OSU beatdown was predictably aggravating; infuriating, really - Akron area people making fun of Akron. Where's the pride/self-respect?  Anyway, I digress...  I'd love scheduling OSU if I thought we could be competitive... for even a half.

I hear ya. I live in Akron, but I don't think the Zips are viewed by the community as part of the community TBH. That's even amongst alumni.

UAkron is the culture of apathy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

I hear ya. I live in Akron, but I don't think the Zips are viewed by the community as part of the community TBH. That's even amongst alumni.

Good post. NE Ohio is a culture of apathy. It's a great place to live and all people do is complain about it. I don't understand why. 

The State of Ohio does not do a good job of framing the MAC schools as valuable parts of the communities they are located. Athletics could be an important part of it. As a whole, the citizens of Ohio are not viewing these schools as the tremendous value they are because they are not made aware of the great things these schools do for their communities. It's a real shame and opportunity. The State should promote these schools better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

I run into this all the time, even within my family. Akron is a place to get your education, which isn't always highly regarded. When I attended  there the number of students wearing OSU gear was incredible. Even the staff would talk about Bucknuts football. Putting the stadium on campus didn't cause a blip. They may be lifelong fans of their alma mater high school, but not the college they chose.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spin said:

I run into this all the time, even within my family. Akron is a place to get your education, which isn't always highly regarded. When I attended  there the number of students wearing OSU gear was incredible. Even the staff would talk about Bucknuts football. Putting the stadium on campus didn't cause a blip. They may be lifelong fans of their alma mater high school, but not the college they chose.

I was the same way when I was there. I tried to be as involved as I was and get people hyped up to me more interested, but honestly that's not what people were there for so can we blame them?  I've been told by older community members that UAkron burnt bridges decades ago with the community and the relationship never rekindled. I'm not sure to what they are referring to, but the apathy I have definitely felt creep into my own fandom as I've gotten older. I got my masters from OU and I wouldn't say I have an innate loyalty to OU either, I was there explicity for their program not the university, which might be weird to other Ohio University alumni.

19 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

List of schools to avoid...

South Florida

Charlotte

Ball State

Fresno State

Air Force

Arkansas State

Appalachian State

East Carolina

Temple

North Texas

Florida Atlantic

Central Michigan

Bowling Green

Hawaiʻi

Boise State

Louisiana

Coastal Carolina

Tulane

Rice

FIU

Eastern Michigan

Buffalo

Nevada

Colorado State

Louisiana–Monroe

Georgia Southern

Memphis

Tulsa

Southern Miss

Marshall

Northern Illinois

UNLV

New Mexico

South Alabama

Georgia State

Navy

UAB

Middle Tennessee

Toledo

Miami (OH)

San Diego State

Utah State

Texas State

Troy

SMU

UTEP

Old Dominion

Western Michigan

Ohio

San Jose State

Wyoming

UTSA

Western Kentucky

So, you can play Iowa State again?  We bring fans to away games!  I'll rent an entire lot for our tailgates again.  

4 hours ago, Cykron said:

So, you can play Iowa State again?  We bring fans to away games!  I'll rent an entire lot for our tailgates again.  

Bring the fans and $500k, and we'll provide you with the prestigious honors of not only having Akron on your schedule, but the opportunity to play at The Info.

• Like 1

Akron playing a game in Canton isn't going to attract fans. Any visiting fan can make the 20 min drive south on 77, which many do. I think it was Toledo that had a home and home with OSU with the Toledo home game being played at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Now that I would find worthwhile.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron playing a game in Canton isn't going to attract fans. Any visiting fan can make the 20 min drive south on 77, which many do. I think it was Toledo that had a home and home with OSU with the Toledo home game being played at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Now that I would find worthwhile.

OK.  Then change "Pro Football Hall of Fame" with "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."  Seriously, the point is not the details, but the concept of making the entire experience a destination.  You have some special things that you could leverage.  Or you can just keep griping about bad attendance and blaming it on "not winning."